• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

jets

bbarrows

Bicycle
is there a good guide to drilling out the plugs and adjusting the jets of the carbs? i am more than a competent mechanic and can handle this level of tinkering, however I have a Clymer's manual which is not much help, looking at it is not even clear as to the location of pilot jets.

Rob - I assume this is in response to the decel popping thread? Understanding that you are competent, unless you really want to put alot of study tome into your carbs (like I have), you're gonna have issues if you start drilling jets. Your bike does not need larger jets. I have a jet kit that will solve your issues, and it WAS developed on a bafflectomised bike with a WBO2 fitted in the exhaust to insure proper a/f ratio. I'm not trying to make this into a commercial, so if you're interested, email me directly or ask Q's about it from other members who are currently running my kit. Steve

Rob, Steve's the MAN on this issue and has spent a lot of time developing his kit. I think its well worth the $$ and I'm going to add his kit the next time I'm pulling the bank for any reason.

And Rob, while your at it get Steve's 7* exhaust cam mod. I did this,(actually Colin did it) on my first valve adjust. I don't have his jet kit, but the PO of my bike had taken the muffler apart and did the bafflectomy from the inside. He also re-jetted the carbs at that time. I am a very passive rider and the bike pulls smoothly form idle all the way to 6000 where the "after burner" kicks in. COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

Rob, +1 on all Steve's stuff. Have it all on my bike and would never want to go back to stock. So much smoother and stronger now. Joe 1968 Honda 160 Scrambler, Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one / 1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja / 1999 Kawasaki Concours COG memb# 8645

what i really meant to say was "pilot air screw" not jets, Steve do you mean to say I shouldn't fool with the air screw? and if one was to choose one proceedure to do first, budgetary considerations, cam or carb kit which would you suggest.

Carb kit. Bike is much better with it. No stutter around 2500 RPM anymore. Worth the money and time. Just be sure and take the time to set the fuel levels. It's very fussy, but well worth the time. Eddie Sanford, FL 2005 Concours 1969 Triumph Bonneville AMA# 686667 COG# 7073 CDA# 0136 http://picasaweb.google.com/Eddie753

Rob, I would go with Steve's carb kit and do the carb overhaul. You can wait on the cam till you do your next valve adjust and the funds are in place. To remove the caps on the pilot jet air screws just wrap some tape around a 1/16 drill bit so only about a 1/4 inch of the bit is exposed. You just want to drill through the plug and try not to hit the air screw under the plug. I use a pick to pop the cap out after the hole is drilled. You will need overhaul kits for the carbs, Murph has them for about $100.00 for the set.

is there a good guide to drilling out the plugs and adjusting the jets of the carbs?
Hi Rob, if you go to the Tech Section on the Home Page you will find one suggestion on how to remove the carb bank, in Chalkdust I think you will find others. Chalkdust is available in the Library to all COG Members just be sure not to block popups and look for the password that you will need to open it. The anti-tamper plugs are easily removed once the carb bank is out. I highly recommend Steves's jet and Exhaust Cam kits, and a good carb clean. Do all 3 and your scoot will run like a champ :) Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg