• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

K&N air filters

wparvin

Bicycle
I am considering replacing the stock air box on my 2003 Connie with individual K&N air filters, the washable type that last for many miles. Should there be a velocity stack mated to the filter before being attached to the carbs? Would I need to rejet? Would a foam filter be better, one that is oiled to trap fine dust particles & block water? What about the crankcase breather hose that goes into the airbox, would I need some kind of catch can or filter? I just pulled my carbs & did a cleaning of all the jets & orifices in the carb bodies & when reinstalling the carbs it was a BIG pain getting the air box boots back onto the carbs (I knew it was going to be though). Years ago I had a KZ1100 touring bike & I traded the stock air box with K&N filters & I could pull & reinstall the carbs with ease when required. Those filters fit directly onto each carb with no velocity stack & it seemed to run great, I also had a Stage 1 kit in the carbs. Is there anything else I should consider before doing this?

this is just my humble opinion and i think we all know what people say about opinions. i went that route with my 82 suzuki gs 850 g. yeah it woke it up but it seems like your always chasing it with changes in weather. yeah you get pretty good with pullin carbs changing jets and everything else. one thing i noticed when i got caught in the rain one time it was fine going down the highway but when i got off and had to stop for a light it died. i looked down and water was pouring off me right onto #1 & #4 carbs had to push off road to a parkin lot only a couple hundred feet away, luckily there was a side walk so i wasn't in the street with cars flying by. ok sorry about that back to connie, a bike like this designed for touring and if that's what you're gonna do i'd leave it alone go with the k&n you put in the airbox and ride it like you stole it!

Another down side is the noise - the carbs make a LOT of intake noise, and it will be really annoying listening to it while sitting behind that big windshield. You may be able to get a UNI-filter for half the price of a K&N - it's foam and lasts a couple of years. Probably around $30 or so. David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - Euro http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr1200/index.html

From what others have said, you will have to change everything but the pilot jets, including the needle jet/emulsion tube. I kept the air box and installed a K&N replacement for the low maintenance.

i just put a uni filter in my 95 connie.cost with oil was 15 bucks less than a stock one,quality was great and it was made in the usa

ditch the idea of putting pods on this bike, besides the fact water will be a problem, you wil likely never get it to carburate correctly afterwards. Seriosly, the stock box with the addition of a K&n filter will be much more forgiving in the long run....

Thanks to all who answered. I have been using K&N for a long time, they are pricy but last a long time, more than 2 years. I think my best bet is to keep the stock box & get a K&N (Murph's has 1).