• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

kawasaki gel seat (low)

travler

Big Wheel
I am a short rider and am considering the Gel seat low.  I would like to hear from those of you who who have tried this seat. Comments for and against please reply.

I have ridden exclusively on it since I have owned the bike (~6 months, 6,500 miles) - I am 5'4" with 29 inseam - it is a little firm but molds to your tush and the lowering by more than an inch is a huge game change for us-of-lower-stature. Did over 600 miles on it yesterday and found comfort as good or better than my former 2006 FJR withj stock seat.

Keith said:
I have ridden exclusively on it since I have owned the bike (~6 months, 6,500 miles) - I am 5'4" with 29 inseam - it is a little firm but molds to your tush and the lowering by more than an inch is a huge game change for us-of-lower-stature. Did over 600 miles on it yesterday and found comfort as good or better than my former 2006 FJR withj stock seat.
Wow, I've put over 8K miles on mine, and it still feels like I'm sitting on a vinyl covered 2x10.  You must have more "padding" than me.  :-X

Travler said:
I am a short rider and am considering the Gel seat low.  I would like to hear from those of you who who have tried this seat. Comments for and against please reply.

If you are hoping to get your feet closer to the ground, it doesn't really help much there.  It uses the same seat pan as the stock seat, which is very wide even at the narrowest point.  A quick way to test this is to stand up while on the bike, and check how much the seat pushes your thighs apart, forcing you to bend your knees.  If you are clear off the center part of the seat, the Low Gel will give you the same reach.

It does lower your sitting position, which makes the top of the windshield and the grips higher.  It also puts you closer to the pegs, but if your knees don't like that, you can put lower pegs on.

C1xRider said:
Keith said:
Wow, I've put over 8K miles on mine, and it still feels like I'm sitting on a vinyl covered 2x10.  You must have more "padding" than me.  :-X

Travler said:

If you are hoping to get your feet closer to the ground, it doesn't really help much there.  It uses the same seat pan as the stock seat, which is very wide even at the narrowest point.  A quick way to test this is to stand up while on the bike, and check how much the seat pushes your thighs apart, forcing you to bend your knees.  If you are clear off the center part of the seat, the Low Gel will give you the same reach.

It does lower your sitting position, which makes the top of the windshield and the grips higher.  It also puts you closer to the pegs, but if your knees don't like that, you can put lower pegs on.

I have this seat and I really like it. It was the first thing that I changed on my bike and that was about a week after I bought the bike new in 5/09. Yes, it's a very firm seat but I like it that way.

I do not agree with C1xRider's assessment of the low gel not getting your feet closer to the ground. I put my stock seat back on a couple of weeks ago because of my wife's complaint about the low gel causing her to slide forward too much. My feet were certainly closer to the ground with the low gel than with the stocker.

FYI, my wife liked the stocker better than the low gel.

Conrad,  it all depends on the individual inseam, thickness of the thighs, and how much the seat pan forces the thighs apart.  I've gone between the stock and the gel several times and for me, the reach to the ground is virtually the same.  My inseam is about 29", and my thighs are larger diameter than average.

The gel seat is lower for sitting on, but the change in reach to put your feet on the ground is not linear as the inseam length decreases.

I would recommend to anyone to try sitting on one before you spend the money on it, so you know beforehand if it will help you, if your primary reason is to get your feet closer to the ground.

[you might try lowering front end by raising the forktubes 1 inch in the triple tree.  That has worked for me, and I'm short.
:motonoises: