• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Kawasaki J-Box Revision?

MaD MiKe

Bicycle
Was there ever a revision on the J-box? If not, I'm thinking of doing some PM (Preventive Maintenance) before the box goes out on me..

If you haven't already, check out Larry Buck's service under Industry Member Services. He is rebuilding J-Boxes with heavier-duty relays and fresh solder connections for a very reasonable fee. I just got one from him (he sends you a rebuilt box and you send him back your OEM unit) very quickly and popped it in. Peace of mind for me on my low-mileage (48k) hard use (year-round commuting) 7 yr old bike! Steve K. '02 Concours 'Locomotive Breath' COG# 6550 AMA# 965469 'No matter where you go, there you are...'
2822107220014238429Coipiz_th.jpg
2901812650014238429UfVKJm_th.jpg

to answer the o/p's question, no not any physiacl difference, the only difference was a change in one of the ratings on one fuse....the box is the same circuit and relay wise. man, we need some tech editors responding here....please.

I kinda like that Larry Buck idea. $65 is not a bad price after core charge for a fixed up j-box. I agreee the piece of mind is well worth it. Getting me one of them too. 2003 Concours, 55K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Thank you MOB as I checked out buykawasaki.com parts diagrams and in 94 the part number for the J-box changes but as you know there is no description to what the change is.. I thought someone should know the answer to the change and you, MOB, stepped to the plate. I will most assuredly do some PM to keep from having a DOA on the road..

Tech Editor picked up the red phone..... Rich (the other one)is correct. The part number on the circuit board is the same for all years. There are 2 part numbers for the j-boxes and the only change is the value of the "Tail" fuse to 15A on the late ones. The label for "Horn" on the early boxes was changed to "Ignition" on the later boxes. Hope this helps. Larry Buck COG 3451,SE-AD (Retired)Concourier C-10 Tech Editor ROK,MTF,IBA,MSF-RC Buck Sport Touring-"Ride Far" www.bucksporttouring.com

The lack of revision to the circuit board is the clincher. Let me riddle you this Larry. If one doesn't load up the fuse box with electronic farkles (I will be putting on Murph's headlight wiring kit (not purchased) and the accessory fuse box kit (Purchased) to take some load of the OEM J-box) will this give more life to the J-box or are they destined for doom anyway?? Thanks in advance.

Failure does not seem to be load related. I think it was more the way the factory soldered the connections. Sometimes the solder is just to thin and it cracks around the posts of the relays when exposed to enough abuse. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

I would echo Bob Smith's view about the solder connections. They vary from board to board. Sometimes I see a nice dome around the relay pin(s), others are pretty sparse. I'm starting to get inquiries from other Kawi model owners. Seems they have issues with j-boxes too. As far as accessory loads. Use an aux panel for the farkles. You can relay it or not, depending if you want the items connected to it to be switched or not. Use a good grade of wire with lots of strands to power it. If you use a relay, pickup the power for the relay at a place other than the j-box. Larry Buck COG 3451,SE-AD (Retired)Concourier C-10 Tech Editor ROK,MTF,IBA,MSF-RC Buck Sport Touring-"Ride Far" www.bucksporttouring.com

I just swapped mine with a Larry Buck unit just now. This is a quick and easy project. I was talking with a fellow NWCOG member at a wrench session beginning this summer, and I was mentioning the number of people who seem to buy used J-Boxes and keep them around as spares. Even carry a spare on long rides. I had been considering this. He mentions that generally its the solder joints that are failing, and that a proactive approach of removing your existing unit and fixing it BEFORE YOU GET STRANDED, is a much better approach. I tended to agree. So I have had it on my list of Connie todo's, all summer. Now with the Larry Buck solution available we have a nice alternative. For what he is getting which includes new relays, fixed up J-Box, shipping, a prepaid envelope for the core and a warranty I figure why screw this up myself, when I can let Larry do it for me. ;) I mark this down as a 'should do' item for any C10 Connie owner. 2003 Concours, 56K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

I figure why screw this up myself, when I can let Larry do it for me -------------------------BURNNNNNN-----------------------------------------

With it being winter time and many having to put away the Connie during these months, this is the perfect time to get this done. Now is the perfect time to flood Larry with orders for this really should do item. 2003 Concours, 56K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg