• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Kentucky Ferry Boats

tub

Big Wheel
Yesterday, we were out in the cage, and took the ferry across the Ohio River from Augusta Kentucky back into Ohio. While on the Ferry, I noticed a flyer posted on the bulletin board about the Ferryboats in Kentucky. There are 10 Ferry Boats crossing Kentucky Rivers. I thought that this might be a good ride to cross each one. I made a map of each crossing and set a route beginnig at my house and takng the first ferry crossing into Augusta, KY. Then south and clockwise around the rest of the Ferry crossings and ending crossing into Ohio, at the Anderson Ferry west of Cincinnati. Total ride is a bit over 1000 miles, and with wait times at each crossing this sounds like a three day weekend ride, as opposed to two days. The map/route I developed is at this link to my Webshots. http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2013098750096745221tYHUfT Let me know, via the forum and PM, if anyone is interested and give me some suggested long weekends. Most folks seem to have family ties on the Fourth and Labor day weekends. Fall may be a good time after the leaves start to turn, but I am open to any suggestions.

Looks like fun. Do they make you tie the bikes down each time or what? That would get old. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

I really only have experience with one ferry, and no we have never been asked to tie them down. Put them on the side stand and if it is choppy I stand close, if calm I walk away.

I've carried some folks around on some of the ferry crossings around our part of west Tennessee on the bikes and it is a lot of fun. We never had to tie em down or anything like that and it makes for a nice break during the ride. Never had a problem loading or unloading but the steel decks are sometimes a little slick especially if they're wet.

Remember to leave them in gear when on the ferry. Also make sure you are there hanging onto the bike as you dock as I have experienced a hard hit on docking. It was likely the new guy running the boat.

We did a run of the ferries here in Puget Sound this spring. Our ferries are much closer together, even so the 5 Ferries turned into 4 and 1 floating bridge. in 1 day. It was much more fun than I expected. Ride for a while, stop and wait for boat, ride boat, ride bike, repeat. Sounds boring, but the time spent waiting and riding the ferries went pretty fast with getting to know our fellow riders better. Wish I was close enough to take part. Anyone who is shouldn't miss it. COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

Bill, Thanks for posting. Looked like lots of fun. Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg
6n2c6z