• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

KLR Valve Clearance Check

gbyoung2

Absolutely hate it when you think you have the right parts to finish a job, but then find that the vendor sent you the wrong items. I’ve had these things for a couple of years thinking they were correct, so no recourse at this point but to just order the correct parts so I can finish the job. They will, however, get a note expressing my displeasure with their error…. and cc: myself for not recognizing the screw-up way back when I could have done something about it.

The parts I needed are the valve cover’s “o-ring” seals that the bolts pass through to hold it in place. The originals have been weeping oil for some time and I ordered the replacements so I could change them out the next time I pulled the cover. That was supposed to happen today. As upsetting as this was, all is not lost. The seals they sent me fit the Connie, so I have a few spares should I need them for that bike.

Today’s project was to check the valves on the KLR and generally go over the bike. With a little over 57K on the ODO, the last valve check was done over 8500 miles ago back in 2016. I intend on taking a 3-4 day camping trip over in WV to check out a couple of family gravesites that I didn’t get a chance to look for when I was there a few weeks ago for the Folk Festival. I simply ran out of time. The two cemeteries are separated by ~65 WV miles. If you’ve ever spent much time in WV, you can appreciate that.

When I leave the second cemetery, I plan on running down towards the New River at Fayetteville and check out the “ghost town” of Thurmond, then the old coal tipple conveyor at Nuttallburg. Both of those have been on my bucket list for a number of years and got sidetracked with the pandemic, then my wife’s Osteoporosis medical issues. The gravel road down to the latter is the whole reason for wanting to take the KLR. Given my shaky self these days, no way in Hades would I try to navigate it on the Connie.

FWIW – the valves clearances were exactly as they were 8500 miles ago; no shim changes necessary.

I feel your pain Guy. FWIW moog made a mistake on part numbers on lower control arms for my ZR2 truck. I have 2 brand new lower control arms for an 02 S10 4x4 that I had too long as well. Still pretty unhappy about that.

I feel your pain Guy. FWIW moog made a mistake on part numbers on lower control arms for my ZR2 truck. I have 2 brand new lower control arms for an 02 S10 4x4 that I had too long as well. Still pretty unhappy about that.
I was going to suggest eBay, but looks like there's a ton of those things up there now.

In the grand scheme of things, your items were a little pricey, mine not so much - except - for the aggravation of not having the correct items to finish the job on this bike. I can putter around going over the bike waiting for the parts since its State inspection is due this month. Still, a bummer.

UPS says the Ron Ayers delivery of the valve cover seals will be in tomorrow. That's pretty quick for them. If so, the bike will be on the road by tomorrow evening. (y)

Reactions: Bud
The parts did come in and I got the valve cover back in place with no issues. Today, got my aux fuel supply hung up and ran the bike for an extended period to get it warmed up to check for leaks around the valve cover, but also so I could spritz the engine down with Gunk Engine Degreaser to get rid of all the oil residue from the weeping valve cover seals. Pulled it off the lift temporarily for that so I could pressure wash the engine afterwards.

No leaks, but the turn signal stopped working after I pressure washed it, so must have gotten some water into the flasher unit. It’s an electronic type I changed out when I modified the system a long time ago so I could have 4-way flashers. Along with the Connie, I commuted on this bike during all sorts of crappy weather we’ve had over the years during those 25 mile daily runs. Connie already had the 4-ways and I wanted that option for the KLR.

We’ll let it sit for a few days to see if it dries out and they start working again, or if I have to replace the unit.

Always something, eh?

IMG_1481-L.jpg

IMG_1479-L.jpg

Reactions: Bud