• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

LED Brake Lights

Hi, I recently installed a used audiovox ccs 100 on my 04. It doesn't have the noise suppressor on the blue wire but it seems to work fine. My question is do I need the noise suppressor? Am I going to burn anything up by not having it? I would also like to know if anyone can tell me if I can install some sort of load equalizer on my brake lights so I can use LED bulbs with the cruise control? I was trying to figure out why my used cc wouldn't work on my bike and after a lot of searching for troubleshooting guides I found one on the internet and found out what the little LED inside the servo was for. I had everything wired correctly but it wasn't showing the signal from the brake light. After a lot of head scratching and probing with my test light, it dawned on me. I had LED replacement bulbs in my tail light. I switched them back to the standard bulbs and just like that it was fixed. I was happy the cc worked but kinda bummed about going back to the old bulbs. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance, Tom.

I just installed a CCS100 on my 03. I had it wired right and mechanically ok but it wouldn't work. I got some great advice on the forum for adding a relay to the brake circuit to insure a positive ground. It worked perfectly after that. I'm unsure if the LED brake mod causes the same problem.

The relay diagram is the one I found on Murph's website, http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/images/SchematicGuide.pdf The relay was less than $5.00. Hope it works for you.

ok, thanks for your help. I'm sure that's my problem, it seems the led lights don't provide sufficient ground. I'm not sure why but I'm gonna give this a shot. I've got a true led tail light on order from twisted throttle and I was worried I would have to cancel. I will post back and let you know if it worked.

Tom, The relay is small and soldering the leads is kind of tight. I used a pencil type iron and found the use of the "helping hand" I got from Harbor Freight for $2.59 extremely helpful. I connected it per the diagram to the wire leading to the brake lights near where I mounted the unit and vac canister. Attached the ground to frame right near there.

yeah I checked out that schematic you sent me. It seems simple enough and I do believe this will take care of my problem. Do you know anything about the noise suppressor on the blue wire? As far as I can tell I don't have one, it's my understanding that this is supposed to keep the unit from being faked into disengaging. I've only tried it on the test ride after install and it worked fine once I put the incandescent bulbs back in the tail light. Everything I've read says you have to have this thing, but like I said I picked this up used and it doesn't appear to be there. I guess at this point I'm just worried about cooking something by not having it in there.

yeah i was at radio shack today to get that relay. i knew about that link and tried to get that size resistor, no go...:( boy that relay sure is tiny, now i see why you were talking about that 3rd hand from hf. i think i'm gonna email murph and see if he can hook me up. there's a few things i wanna get to take some dive out of the front end. i'm open to any suggestions you may have on that. i definitely want the fork brace. idk if i'm gonna change the springs or just try some heavier fork oil. and i've been kinda eyeballin those gold emulators. i forget what the springs were but he has progressive and some other brand and i was interested in the other brand. thanks for all your help with the cc, i'm gonna try to work on that relay tonight.

ok james i put the relay in and all is good. thanks for all your help with this and thanks to all who were involved in posting all the valuable info.

Tom, do you want to try something real cheap to change the way your front end feels and get rid of a whole bunch of brake dive. Remove your stock fork springs and cut off 4" of the tightly wound section and replace with 3/4" PVC with a large washer between the spring and PVC. Then change your fork oil out with some new 15 Weight fork oil. That's what I did to mine and it was all I needed to be happy with the way it now rides. What's the worst thing that could happen? If you don't like the way it rides, you could change out the springs, which was what you were going to do anyway. Joe 1968 Honda 160 Scrambler, Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one, 1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja / 1999 Kawasaki Concours COG memb# 8645

ok thanks for the tip. i'm definitely gonna try some heavier oil and go from there. i know the brace isn't gonna help dive but does it make low speed maneuvers any less scary? i guess i should start a new thread on this.