• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Listen to my iphone

cockraml

Big Wheel
Can anyone recommend a "kinda cheap" way to listen to my iphone while riding?  I looked at some of the bluetooth options like scala, but they are really expensive.  I know its illegal to have headphones in my ears while riding. 

I have never worried about riding with headphones in.  What states don't allow it?

Over the last two years I have used my iphone with ear buds, built in helmet speakers made from over the ear head phones I bought and now bluetooth.  They all worked.  I found a inline volume control that is easier to use with gloves at Best Buy and put the phone in the tank bag/pocket with the control hanging out where I can get it.  That hooks to the ear buds or the speakers.  The Uclear blue tooth is new to me and I have not even rode with it yet but from testing it sounds strong and clear and it will be nice to not have a wire. 

It's taken me a year of trying different bluetooth stereo headsets under my helmet so I could listen to music & the GPS on my Droid. I've finally found the following solution that works no matter what helmet I'm using:

Jabra Clipper + Sony Clip Style Headphones

Since the headphones loop over the ear, they stay on with little to no effort when putting my helmet on. While I can't really take a call while riding (not that I want to), this combination avoids the problem with bluetooth stereo headesets: the helmet squeezing the call button and initiating calls randomly.

Also, it's much cheaper than a dedicated helmet system and it's easy to use with multiple helmets and while just walking around.

smithr-scad said:
I have never worried about riding with headphones in.  What states don't allow it?

Over the last two years I have used my iphone with ear buds, built in helmet speakers made from over the ear head phones I bought and now bluetooth.  They all worked.  I found a inline volume control that is easier to use with gloves at Best Buy and put the phone in the tank bag/pocket with the control hanging out where I can get it.  That hooks to the ear buds or the speakers.  The Uclear blue tooth is new to me and I have not even rode with it yet but from testing it sounds strong and clear and it will be nice to not have a wire.

I know VA has a law against it.  I think you have one earbud in, but not both.

I've often wondered if states that have laws against people wearing head/ear phones while driving... also ban deaf people from driving.  I would think probably not.

Anyway... I just use plug-style ear buds.  I have some cheap Skullcandy's from Target, and also some other more expensive MetroFi's... but they're a lil bigger and a lil tougher in the helmet.

I just put the phone in my pocket.  It's a pain to have to control w/ gloves on, but I can usually find the volume controls, or just pull the plug out in worst case.  I do like that Jawbone blue-tooth thingy tho!

I too use the Skull candy.  If you want some really good sound try these:   

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Portable-Earphones-Cobalt/dp/B000XP8DJC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310682349&sr=8-1

My only complaint with them is that when I put on my helmet they kind of pull on the wires, and I think after a season of riding with them, it must short the connection inside the actual earbud, because the sound gets scratch and it cuts out.  I have a couple pairs of them tht I am trying to find someone to open up the bud and re-solder the connection.

Excellent sound though!!!!!!