• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Locked threads - clarification.

Steve in sunny Fla

Iron Butt
Industry Vendor
It has always been my understanding that once a thread was locked, it was locked to all posters, including the OP. It had been explained to me that this was to preserve the thread as it actually was at the time of locking, for a variety of reasons. Has that procedure changed or is it still in effect?

TIA, Steve

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
It has always been my understanding that once a thread was locked, it was locked to all posters, including the OP. It had been explained to me that this was to preserve the thread as it actually was at the time of locking, for a variety of reasons. Has that procedure changed or is it still in effect?

TIA, Steve
It's a new day Steve.  As I told you on the phone before the new IM sections were established it was NOT going to be the same as the rest of the forum and that the areas were to be different.  also told you that we were considering giving each IM some form of moderation control over their individual areas if we could figure out how to control the permissions.  The hope was to allow each to Lock, Sticky, and Edit their own posts at will.  As one of the IMs, you know that those controls are not yet in place.  So if you want a thread stickied or, as I described to you on the phone, to be informational rather than CONVERSATIONAL, then you could let a mod know and they could lock, unlock, and sticky for you as desired (and upon request) to permit you to have top post info that is what you want and as current as you want it. 

I also told you that there WOULD BE new rules going into affect (remember that conversation last month?) and that the BoD wanted to change the Lock and Leave policy.  So, I answered your question (as asked) a month before you asked it.  But that is not at all what this instance was and I will leave it at that until I have a chance to talk to SteveJ.  He is the offended party and deserving of an explanation. 

I would appreciate that you contact me or your AD rather than post your peeves in the forum.  Unless you are trying to stir things up it just isn't necessary or helpful.  Shouting FIRE! in a crowded auditorium when there may not be a fire is not good etiquette.  If you have a question or complaint, please follow appropriate protocol and contact your representatives.

Rev Ryder said:
Steve in Sunny Fla said:

TIA, Steve
It's a new day Steve.  As I told you on the phone before the new IM sections were established it was NOT going to be the same as the rest of the forum and that the areas were to be different.  also told you that we were considering giving each IM some form of moderation control over their individual areas if we could figure out how to control the permissions.  The hope was to allow each to Lock, Sticky, and Edit their own posts at will.  As one of the IMs, you know that those controls are not yet in place.  So if you want a thread stickied or, as I described to you on the phone, to be informational rather than CONVERSATIONAL, then you could let a mod know and they could lock, unlock, and sticky for you as desired (and upon request) to permit you to have top post info that is what you want and as current as you want it. 

I also told you that there WOULD BE new rules going into affect (remember that conversation last month?) and that the BoD wanted to change the Lock and Leave policy.  So, I answered your question (as asked) a month before you asked it.  But that is not at all what this instance was and I will leave it at that until I have a chance to talk to SteveJ.  He is the offended party and deserving of an explanation. 

I would appreciate that you contact me or your AD rather than post your peeves in the forum.  Unless you are trying to stir things up it just isn't necessary or helpful.  Shouting FIRE! in a crowded auditorium when there may not be a fire is not good etiquette.  If you have a question or complaint, please follow appropriate protocol and contact your representatives.

I just asked a question. I have posted no peeves. And yes, you told me IM moderation tools may be coming, but I hadn't been apprised of any, so it didn't seem out of line to ask a question for something that was never the policy previously. I understand getting posts pinned, but locking is not the same, hence the question.
  Steve

I hope you will recall that I discussed locking a topic with you as one of the things the IM section would have as well as the ability to edit beyond a specific time in order to make updates.  In order to better explain it to you I said that we also HOPE to create a REVIEW section that would offer the same type of article and that locking the thread before any other posters had the opportunity to post would ensure the sanctity of the OP's review (though any of that has yet to happen).  But that discussion happened AFTER we talked about it for the IM section. In fact, it is THAT reason (to lock and pin and edit) that makes it a desirable thing to give the IMs mod tools in the first place since it would reduce the load on already shorthanded and overworked moderators.  However, until those tools are in place, if you simply ask for those things to happen, the mods will accommodate as soon as possible. 

And in light of the happenings of the past couple of days, I might suggest getting a mod's attention to see to it before making any post that you want treated that way.  Timing CAN be everything when depending on others.  I hope we will figure out the tools soon.  I hope very soon.

Rev Ryder said:
I hope you will recall that I discussed locking a topic with you as one of the things the IM section would have as well as the ability to edit beyond a specific time in order to make updates.  In order to better explain it to you I said that we also HOPE to create a REVIEW section that would offer the same type of article and that locking the thread before any other posters had the opportunity to post would ensure the sanctity of the OP's review (though any of that has yet to happen).  But that discussion happened AFTER we talked about it for the IM section. In fact, it is THAT reason (to lock and pin and edit) that makes it a desirable thing to give the IMs mod tools in the first place since it would reduce the load on already shorthanded and overworked moderators.  However, until those tools are in place, if you simply ask for those things to happen, the mods will accommodate as soon as possible. 

And in light of the happenings of the past couple of days, I might suggest getting a mod's attention to see to it before making any post that you want treated that way.  Timing CAN be everything when depending on others.  I hope we will figure out the tools soon.  I hope very soon.

I certainly recall our conversation, I would be lying if I told you I recall all the particulars, but the overall takeaway was that in time there would be even a possibility of IM's moderating their own IM areas.

Just because I ask a question doesn't mean I'm trying to start something, in fact if I don't ask questions I'm more than likely to suffer hoof in mouth disease. And I can't imagine any time I would make a post that I would want locked, The last thing I'm trying to do is insulate my posts from anyone who would want to converse with me. Steve