• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Long term AVON reveiw....

sas mayhem

Street Cruiser
Well this is long over due.  I just came back from Riding the Dragon and I just wanted to due a reveiw on these tires.  Last Feb-Mar time frame of this yr I replaced my tires with AVON Ultra II up front and Venom on the rear . I do have stock stock rims.  So right now I have about 8,000 miles on them.  They are wearing very well just by eyeballing it, it looks like I can streach them for another 4,000ish.  All I can say about these tires is that there excellent on every front IMHO.  What really got me thinking, was when I was heading to the mountains I got caught in a rain storm of biblical proportions.  The bike was rock steady and never once slide or even protested at 67-70mph.  Going in and out of tire ruts and changing lanes was a total breeze.  Keep in mind I was not being cocky but the bike was very sure footed.  The only reason I did finally pull over under an over pass was due to visor visability was down to zero.  It was raining so hard no one was moving. 
Taking the bike on the Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway on those tight swich back and long sweeping turns, the tires performance was OUTSTANDING.  I honestly won't bother look at another brand of tire, for me these are the best combo, you can get.

I always liked the Avon's on the C10. But I haven't tried them on the C14 or the FJR, as of yet. They sound good though. I do remember someone a while back having a problem with an Ultra. But IIRC, Avon replaced the tire without hassle. Every tire manufacturer has a bad tire now and then. So you really can't judge a tire if one guy has a problem. Only by how a bunch of tires perform. And I have heard mainly good about the Avon's.

Cap'n Bob said:
I always liked the Avon's on the C10. But I haven't tried them on the C14 or the FJR, as of yet. They sound good though. I do remember someone a while back having a problem with an Ultra. But IIRC, Avon replaced the tire without hassle. Every tire manufacturer has a bad tire now and then. So you really can't judge a tire if one guy has a problem. Only by how a bunch of tires perform. And I have heard mainly good about the Avon's.

Dang !!! Sorry about that, can you move this to the C-14 section. My bad  :(

No problem. I thought you were talking about the Ultra's!  :))  I'll move it over to the C10 tire section for you.

SAS and others, when it rains we all try to head for a dry spot, so under the bridge is a natural choice (as there aren't many other options).  Please don't forget the potential safety hazard it creates; (since we are focused on ourself, we might put ourself in danger)--car drivers are having a hard time seeing, their wipers are probably long overdue for replacement, odds are they never turned their headlights on (Ohio has a law that if the wipers are on the headlights must be, but only about 70% of the people comply), and they are getting road spray from vehicles ahead of them (that they are probably using as a lead man to follow, so they don't have to strain to "See" the road).  Add to it many bridges have a guard rail that comes outward, making the shoulder narrower, so if you park by it your closer to the road.  As such, cars get real close, and that's if they stay in the lane.  If they're observant, when they see the bike they are trying to figure out "what is that", and watching it.  We all know what happens when you look at something when driving.

Turning the bike ignition off then the key on will leave your taillight on, and even your hazards, but that could add to the distraction (as they realize your getting closer, since you aren't moving and they are).  I personally go to the other side of the bridge and turn right and off the roadway (when its possible), so if they hit the rail they don't get me.  I also then walk back and up, to be well clear if they do hit the bike.  I have even pulled in behind the guardrail before.

Years back a fellow cogger was killed under a bridge in the rain.  It was only a split second after he heard the crash and maybe saw the bike coming at him that he probably didn't have time to realize he made a bad choice to be down wind of the bike (he was off to the side but in front of the bike), as it was the flying bike that killed him. Sad.  He stopped for protection from the rain, and was putting on a rainsuit when someone who had a suspended license decided to pass everyone on the shoulder (I think it was near an offramp, and traffic was backed up.  It was like a decade ago and my memory fails me on more particulars.

Sorry, the old safety instructor is kicking in.  I'm sure many coggers are aware as most of us are not novices, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to mention it.

Mark

Red Wyvern said:
SAS and others, when it rains we all try to head for a dry spot, so under the bridge is a natural choice (as there aren't many other options).  Please don't forget the potential safety hazard it creates; (since we are focused on ourself, we might put ourself in danger)--car drivers are having a hard time seeing, their wipers are probably long overdue for replacement, odds are they never turned their headlights on (Ohio has a law that if the wipers are on the headlights must be, but only about 70% of the people comply), and they are getting road spray from vehicles ahead of them (that they are probably using as a lead man to follow, so they don't have to strain to "See" the road).  Add to it many bridges have a guard rail that comes outward, making the shoulder narrower, so if you park by it your closer to the road.  As such, cars get real close, and that's if they stay in the lane.  If they're observant, when they see the bike they are trying to figure out "what is that", and watching it.  We all know what happens when you look at something when driving.

Turning the bike ignition off then the key on will leave your taillight on, and even your hazards, but that could add to the distraction (as they realize your getting closer, since you aren't moving and they are).  I personally go to the other side of the bridge and turn right and off the roadway (when its possible), so if they hit the rail they don't get me.  I also then walk back and up, to be well clear if they do hit the bike.  I have even pulled in behind the guardrail before.

Years back a fellow cogger was killed under a bridge in the rain.  It was only a split second after he heard the crash and maybe saw the bike coming at him that he probably didn't have time to realize he made a bad choice to be down wind of the bike (he was off to the side but in front of the bike), as it was the flying bike that killed him. Sad.  He stopped for protection from the rain, and was putting on a rainsuit when someone who had a suspended license decided to pass everyone on the shoulder (I think it was near an offramp, and traffic was backed up.  It was like a decade ago and my memory fails me on more particulars.

Sorry, the old safety instructor is kicking in.  I'm sure many coggers are aware as most of us are not novices, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to mention it.

Mark

Mark I agree with you 110% of your point.  The only thing I was addressing was the tires ability to tread water even on heavy down pours.  And the control they gave me. When I did finally pull off it was at a rest stop, because I know of he dangers off under bridge pull overs.

Cheers
Ron

Well it's time for a new back tire for my Connie.  I had it installed back in April, and just a tad over 11,000 miles the wear strip is getting LOW. So this is a good time for a 17 Meanstreak  >:D  The AVON Venom is a superb tire.

Cheers
Ron

Well, I have some old Avon's! They are like 5 or 6 years old, as the PO crashed the bike and it sat in his garage for 5 years. I like them.

WillyP said:
Well, I have some old Avon's! They are like 5 or 6 years old, as the PO crashed the bike and it sat in his garage for 5 years. I like them.
5 years in a hot Texas garage is enough to make a tire dry rot and be unsafe.  Something you might consider and change them out soon.