• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Lowering Kit

Skeeter51

Training Wheels
Has anyone tried the suspension lowering kit?

I am at the reach limit now and want to put on a Russel seat but that raises the height by 1 - 2".

Thanks
Skeeter

I'm very curious about a lowering kit as well. I've googled around and found 2 options:
http://www.muzzys.com/concours14/concours14_links/index.html
http://www.soupysperformance.com/catalog/item/4408900/6878922.htm

I've read through all of their customer feedback, and none of them really discuss how these kits affect handling. The Muzzy site specifically says not to user the lowering kit if you are going to have a passenger. Really?

If anyone has used a lowering kit, please give you opinion on handling changes, ride quality, passenger affect, and easy of installation/setup. Neither of these sites have installations instructions worth diddly, so any write ups would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I don't have a Concours, but I'm in the process of researching to see if that's what I want to buy. They are a little tall for me (5'9" 31" inseam), but am primarly trying to determine if a suspension lowering or low seat is the best option, or both. I regularly ride with my wife, and need to flat foot in order to be confident at the gas stations or on gravel drives. Thanks!

I had the Muzzys links put on mine before I even brought it home the first day so im not sure how much different from stock it is but I knew my short legs would need the subtle amount of lowering haha

Just to let you know: I posted on Mizu (not Muzzi) lowering links made in Germany that recently experienced 2 occurences of breakage while riding. Mizu is working a recall with the dealers.

I put on Muzzy lowering struts on my C-14 at about 10,000 miles and now have almost 50,000 on the bike.
The handling is better, it reduced the push on the front end when cornering hard.  I like the looks of the bike better and now there is less tendency to be pushed forward.
The reason I lowered the bike was to improve front tire wear. At 10,000 miles I had just put on the 3rd front tire and 2nd back tire. I now replace tires at the same time.
The only down side is it sits up straighter on the side stand so you have to be careful when parking on a hill. I know I lost some cornering ground clearance, but it hasn't been a problem. 
I ride two up and have not had any problems, and adjust the suspension just like you otherwise would.

Nick

Did you lower the front as well or just the links?

Did you notice a difference in reaching the ground with your feet?

If I lowered I think I would have to shorten the sidestand as it is very fussy even in stock form.
I have considered that option even if I leave it stock.

Skeeter

I just lowered my 2011 C14 and it feels real good, I feel much more confident on it at stops than I did.
I can put the ball of my foot on the ground instead of just the tips.
Going to get a seat to lower me even more. Not sure where I'm getting it from yet. A friend's brother does some of this
work and I would probably have more control over the look and feel of it this way instead of ordering one from either
Corbin or Sergant.
I used the Muzzy lowering kit, installed and ordered by the dealer while the bike was in for its 600 mile check up.
Like some of the posts on here the bike looks lower and you do have to worry about parking it on hill, but other than that I haven't had a problem.

I put Muzzy's on my C-14 2010 at the beginning when i started riding it.  The feelings is alot different, you feel like you are sitting IN the bike instead of ON it, you have more confidence because you can have full feet on the ground, i m 5'8 with 30" inseem.  I had 2 up riding all the time with it and so far didnt have any problem of breakage yet.  The problems were :
1/ Center stand : it needs alittle bit more effort to pull the bike up
2/ Front forks : you need to play with it awhile to get the right front height, otherwise it feels weird when you hit a bump.

I got it on for about 6,000 miles and removed it after having the Rich's seat in, there s no problem with it, i just prefer to have stock forks & shock ratio as well as little more conscious about the warning "not for 2 up riding" on the link's package.

at

I just put on the Muzzy Lowering Links and feel more confidant with both feet planted at a stop when riding 2 up. I would like to lower the front forks about 1" to get the handeling back close to stock. I have 2" bar risers already installed. How does one go about lowering the front?

The only time I would condone lowering the rear with Muzzy links is if you were running a car tire.... :p

there, I said it....maybe this will bring light on the opinion, as I feel changing the angle of the factory designed driveshaft by any means is a sacrilidge...
maybe this will get the censors riled up... :))

MAN OF BLUES said:
The only time I would condone lowering the rear with Muzzy links is if you were running a car tire.... :p

there, I said it....maybe this will bring light on the opinion, as I feel changing the angle of the factory designed driveshaft by any means is a sacrilidge...

Troublemaker!  :))

Cap'n Bob said:
MAN OF BLUES said:

Troublemaker!  :))

O:)

I found the stock height on my 2013 too high for comfort so I lowered it first 1" with Precision Engineering links.  Stock stand was almost okay but after awhile I ended up getting a another stand on e-bay; trimmed it at the pad and then had the pad re-welded; much better.  I later went to 2" lowering links, also from Precision Engineering but this time used an adjustable stand which takes the hassle out of trying to get proper lean angle.  I also got another center stand on e-bay and trimmed the legs on it so I can now use the center stand again.  I don't believe anyone offers a commercial shortened center stand.  Installation of the lowering links is a pretty simple job and should take someone who has done it before about 20 minutes. The modification of the center stand took quite a bit longer but it can be done.

As an FYI I also tried the low profile Sargent seat for my 2013 Concours but found no appreciable benefit for getting the leg height down.  While the riding profile may be lower the leg down position is not really any better due to the wide frame of the Concours.  In addition the seat was measurably less comfortable than the stock seat.  Easiest and cheapest effective way to get better leg height is by using lowering links; under $100.00 vs. over $500.00 for the seat.

Hi,
        Well....Seth Laam will make a COG member a custom seat for a lot less than $500! :great:

Just sayin! :eek:

Oh yea, I have a set of Muzzy lowering links I got on my used Ohlin's rear shock. ::)

At 6'7" I don't really need them and would sell them for a lot less than $100! ;D

Attachments

• Mdels-Messe-Girls-Intermot-2014-16.jpg
    Mdels-Messe-Girls-Intermot-2014-16.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 146
FWIW, I just bought a 2012 C14 that was lowered, no idea what kit, but its going back to the dealer to return to stock height because when I ride 2 up I get u joints clicking on acceleration in my shaft. I had no idea the bike was lowered until I called the dealer about the strange issue with my wife on board and he mentioned he thought the bike had been lowered. I am 6'1 and now I am wondering what else is not stock on this thing. Love the ride when I am alone though.

I have a very short inseam: 28.5 inches. I was considering lowering the bike but after buying my 2015 money was in short supply. Some people liked the bike lowered others did not. If I could not make the bike lower, I decided to make my legs longer.
My first thought was to add some extra sole to my SIDI boots - my shoemaker said no as the soles are plastic, not leather. I looked into new boots and the cost was an issue.
I decided to go with heel lifts. They cost about 10 bucks to get an extra inch. When you put your toe down it feels like it has not made any difference. However, when you put your heel down it touches quite easily. I can put one side down very easily and it greatly increases one's sense of security.
Pro: Cheap. If you can touch the ground with the ball of your foot, you can now put one foot flat on the ground.
Cons: They make walking any distance freaking painful. If you have to walk a long way, take them out.

MAN OF BLUES said:

I've spent the couple hours reading about lowering the C14, I never considered this, and hadn't seen anyone else bring it up.
But I think you make a good point.

MOB,
What do you think about raising the back? I've added 40mm in height and like the handling much better. :)
But I will never run a car (sacrilege) tire. Stirring the pot!

MAN OF BLUES said:

Good point something I hadn't thought about definitely be looking in to this. I do have to say that being CV joints I am not sure it would be that critical unless it affects jacking on acceleration and deceleration.
I may be wrong here I see in the manual my C-10 has U-joints I guess I shouldn't assume. You know what they say about assuming LOL

fyi; In another discussion (that I can't seem to find) someone installed ZX-14 links to lower his C-14.
        I always wondered if he had found an inexpensive way to do this.

I saw a set on Ebay for $10 and bought them to confirm he was right.
NOTE: I have Muzzy's on mine, that lowered the rear about 1" - 1 /4".

Turns out the ZX-14 links are 7" (hole to hole), and the Muzzy's are 6 1/2".
Bottom line, yes the ZX-14 Links will work but will lower the rear 2"+, which I think its too much.

Ride safe, Ted