• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Lowering links

barberman

Training Wheels
Morning Folks, Installed Soupys lowering links this week and I'd like to point out that to me, these are more about "center of gravity" adjusters than footing. I started out with the stock height and as I lowered the bike I noticed it sitting straighter up as you'd expect but when sitting it up  straight I found the weight of getting it off the kickstand was way reduced. Which made me realize that the top heavy feeling of the bike (especially with a full tank) was basically eliminated. Before this I had a real hard time feeling comfy doing a turn (to the stops) from a stand still. Now I can just take off no problem. Never liked to do any coasting backwards, like out of a parking spot before this either. Felt way to top heavy to trust.. NOW I can coast backwards without touching my feet down! Talk about a confidence builder. i feel like now I could just about do a brodie in the gravel driveway.

Good point.
Couple of quick questions.

How much did you drop the rear?
Did you lower the front to match the rear?
Is it harder to get the bike on the Center stand?
Some have said that the Soupy's adjustable links cause problems with the center stand.
      Any problems there?

Ride safe, Ted

Hey Ted, Dropped the rear about a half inch-ish. I did drop the front a half inch as well. And the center stand needs to go unfortunately- However it's easy to stick a 2x4 across swing arm, raise up and insert centerstand w/ bolts no nuts, for temporary use. The only prob. I had was installing the adjusters w/ the cups facing the wrong way which causes adjusters to rub on the shock spring.. didn't have any instructions and having the spacers on the inside of them cups looked like the obvious way to do it since more of the nut is visible. The nuts go into the cups w/ aluminum spacers next to shock. Might as well install them twice for practice. Ha ha KJ 

I used the Muzzy lowering links.
After installation, I bought a used CS, and shortened it.
Works like a champ.
PM me a cell # and I can send photo's on where to cut/weld if your interested?

MY concern is your adjustable links may be an issue that I didn't have.

Ride safe, Ted

Ted, I don't think I be lowering enough to use the K.S. my brother threw in on the deal.  Uh, straighten me out on your comment of "my adj. links aren't an issue that you don't have". HUH? maybe i'm sleepin'.  Oh, are you referring to the cup orientation? OK.  Also- Soupys' doesn't do biz. by phone unless they have to. All is done email. But the guy did call me using his own phone to talk about which way things went. This was nearly four yrs. after my bro bought them and sold them to me this last week! That speaks to me. KJ

Not sure why it bothers some to loose the centerstand. The Soupys links are a quality product  that gives you a fully adjustable link, something all of the dog bone links don't. I got rid of the centerstand on my C-10 shortly after I got it due to mods. I just put Soupys links on my FJR and love the adjustability. Of course it didn't require removal of the CS on the FJR but I never use the centerstand except for tire changes so no biggie.