• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Luggage Rack Replacement

I'm looking for a replacement for the OEM luggage rack on my 2005 Connie. Most of the listings I see are for racks used to install a top case. I'm actually looking for something that will give me more options for tying gear down. Any ideas? Most of the comments I've seen for this type indicate people have made their own customized rack, but I don't have the ability (talent or tools) to do this.

Thanks!

Braz said:
I'm looking for a replacement for the OEM luggage rack on my 2005 Connie. Most of the listings I see are for racks used to install a top case. I'm actually looking for something that will give me more options for tying gear down. Any ideas? Most of the comments I've seen for this type indicate people have made their own customized rack, but I don't have the ability (talent or tools) to do this.
If you lack talent and tools, the only option I know of would be to find an OEM add-on luggage rack.  It clamps on to the rear passenger grab handles.  I don't think Kawasaki sells them anymore, though, and they're difficult to find now. 

They are hard to find and they don't hold much weight.  I had one shear off with about 10# on it.  Of course it was on a California highway which is about as smooth as a golf ball.

:great:
The item you're looking for WAS made by Ronnie Lyons. It clamped to the hand rails and was easily removed. He also offered a back rest that was a little taller the the OEM unit. I had both the rack and the back rest for yearsbut sold it when I got a GIVI 45 top case. I never had a problem with mine in the six or seven years I had it. And I never weighed the stuff I attached so I can't tell you what it's load limit would be.
The racks are out there; folks that have them probably don't want to sell them, but you never know. Refer to the rack as the RONNIE LYONS rack; folks will know what you're looking for.

Good luck,

I have a rack on the back of my '01 that was intended as a quick release for a top case, but the top case wasn't included with the bike. It's great for other stuff though. It has a waffle-grid on the bottom that could be used with bungee cords.

index.php

index.php