• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Magellan GPS Install

bike1918

My latest addition is a dedicated GPS. I chose this older model for a few reasons: 1) I've used Magellan for years, 2) it has an audio out port which I can later hook up to bluetooth, 3) has live traffic WITHOUT a special cord (electronics in plug which doesn't work in wet envronments), 4) no phone required for updates or speed limits (i have a de-googled Android, so no tracking, using of google maps, location not sent to the cloud etc).

Downsides are the limited availablilty of mounts (does not use the 17mm or 25mm, uses a 12mm which hardely anyone uses anymore).

Magellan GPS: Magellan Road Mate 5635T-LM

I found the mount from NOS here (you'll need the original lock ring from the unit): Magellan RoadMate 1700 Extended Mount

5" shade: X AUTOHAUX 5 Inch GPS Navigation Sun Shade

I used 3m "red" mounting tape (grey tape with red backing) and clapmed it down well.

The transformer I also used the 3m tape to mount and positioned so that the cord is fairly snug.

Ran wires under tank and to my aux switched fused panel.

IMG_20220716_113644.jpg IMG_20220716_111543.jpg
IMG_20220716_111553.jpg