• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Magnetic Drain Plug for Rear Drive Housing

bergmen

I just received an e-mail from Tim at www.magneticdrainplug.com and they have added the magnetic M8.0 flanged bolt drain plug for the rear drive housing for both the C-10 and C-14. Check it out here: http://www.magneticdrainplug.com/Motorcycle_Drain_Plugs/MP11.html This picture shows the plug without the washer but Tim tells me that a washer will be included and the picture will be updated shortly. This is good news, I had forgotten about this after sending the pertinent data to Tim back in July so they could try to add this to their product line. This is just as important (or more so, actually) than the engine drain plug since there is no mechanism for contaminant control in the rear drive housing (motorcycles do not have differentials) and gear wear under hard use does produce hard ferrous particulates that can raise havoc with rolling element bearings, gears and seals. I

KLRtoConnie said:
So anyone use this plug on the C14? (1. Engine ? 2. Rear Drive) ?

Guys on the other site have been using them for a while now. I never got around to buying one. So I don't have true experience with them!

I ordered a few today for my small fleet and also a couple spares for our MA Tech day
coming up in case anyone wants to do a rear drive oil change and add the plug for cost.

It will be interesting to see what they pull out of the engine oil and rear drive during the
riding season.

KLRtoConnie said:
So anyone use this plug on the C14? (1. Engine ? 2. Rear Drive) ?

I use them for engine and final drive.  I have not had any issues with them.  They do pick up the metallic debris.  Although, I haven't noticed a large amount which is why I got them to begin with.  I use them as a way to monitor what's happening with the rotating masses.  Of course it isn't a measurable way to monitor but makes me feel better.  :)

While its not a measureable way to monitor, when you change your oil or gear oil and only see a very light dusting of very fine powder normally and then one day you see some big flakes you know something is up.

Side story. I have a Dodge Ram diesel truck with 1-2 extra HP. It has on a Mag-Hytec rear did cover, that has a magnetic drain plug in the bottom. And a filler whole at the top with a dipstick for measuring fluid. None of that squirt it into the whole in the back and wait for it to over flow. It also holds additional fluid, etc.

So on with the story, one day while doing burnoust and wasting my rear tires, I also wasted my rear end. $1200 bucks later ( you want to play, you got to pay ) I had a new one from the local, very reputable shop everyone says was the best. They told me 500 mi on the first oil as break in and then change it. From then on normal intervals.

You should have seen that drain plug on that first 500mi from that thing breaking in. It was amazing. I was bad enough that I only went another 500mi and checked it again. It looked normal and has been normal ever since and going on 90K miles now. But that first 500mi breakin. WOW. The crap on tha magnetic drain plug was shocking.

I went to the site and found the oil drain plug but when I select final drive from the pop down menu the oil plug shows up again. Does the final drive cap come with a new O-RING?

Not sure if this has already been posted here.

Saw on another board that the C14 rear end magnetic screw from Gold Plug had a defect that was causing a leak. I had a small leak (few drops) and connected Gold Plug LLC.

FYI

========================================

Just got a reply from Gold Plug .. (FAST) 

==============================

Brent,

Thanks for the email and sorry for your troubles.

This is a problem we found out about last week.  One of our contract machine shops incorrectly added those serrations to a small batch of MP-11 plugs.

I will have the correct MP-11 shipped today at our expense.  I am sorry for the error.

Thanks,
Tim
Gold Plug LLC

Update:

Tuesday May 31 received by USPS the replacement MP-11 Plug and 4 washers.

GoldPlug customer service is great.

Took less than a week to get a replacement out.  :)

Will swap them out this weekend.

I figure this is a worth while addition. At the very least, it can't hurt.  :)

I guess I'll look into it for my bikes!

WARNING...CAUTION....CUIDADO....LISTEN UP....
we have an issue that popped up recently on the other forum, where a person tried to install a GoldPlug mag oil pan sump plug, and it broke off before he got it torqued in...upon examination, it appears gold plug simply drilled the plug in a manner not conducive to retaining more than 20% of the original's strength, to fit the magnet in there, resulting in pain an agony on the user.....
DO NOT TRY TO TORQUE THIS PLUG ANYWHERES NEAR WHERE THE STOCK ONE IS RATED TO....
just a warning. if you just have to buy a magnetic plug, be very cautios on the torque you use...or you will snap it off....
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1408.0
oh, I do NOT recommend either plug from that company now, after seeing the aftermath....simply neglectful design, and irresponsible greed in marketing on Gold Plug's part. Inexcusable to say the least.

MAN OF BLUES said:
WARNING...CAUTION....CUIDADO....LISTEN UP....
we have an issue that popped up recently on the other forum, where a person tried to install a GoldPlug mag oil pan sump plug, and it broke off before he got it torqued in...upon examination, it appears gold plug simply drilled the plug in a manner not conducive to retaining more than 20% of the original's strength, to fit the magnet in there, resulting in pain an agony on the user.....
DO NOT TRY TO TORQUE THIS PLUG ANYWHERES NEAR WHERE THE STOCK ONE IS RATED TO....
just a warning. if you just have to buy a magnetic plug, be very cautios on the torque you use...or you will snap it off....
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1408.0
oh, I do NOT recommend either plug from that company now, after seeing the aftermath....simply neglectful design, and irresponsible greed in marketing on Gold Plug's part. Inexcusable to say the least.

Yeah I read that Rich. I have since changed my mind and decided to stay with the tried and true OEM plugs!  :)

KLRtoConnie said:
Update:

Tuesday May 31 received by USPS the replacement MP-11 Plug and 4 washers.

GoldPlug customer service is great.

Took less than a week to get a replacement out.  :)

Will swap them out this weekend.
+1

The plugs are drilled hollow to fit a magnet inside??  I have the one for the oil pan, and it appears that a small, watch battery size magnet was simply epoxied onto the end of the bolt threads. i couldnt see the picture the poster with the snapped bolt posted, so i cant compare to what mine looks like.

fwiw, im in the club of not using a torque wrech, but simply snugging the bolt down.  many years, many vehicles, no problems.