• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

maintenace

gslothower

Training Wheels
My Concourse will have 20,000 miles soon, and I was wondering what the most important maintenace that should be done on the bike.Its a 2001.A few weeks ago, I also asked the members how to repair a rear end whine. Yeaterday while riding about 30 mph,I pulled in the cluch and coasted noticing the whine decreased with speed.As you go faster, the noise gets lowder, up until about 40 mph.When going around a corner, the noise also will change.I would like to get this repaired and dont want to be at the mercy of the shop.Thanks Glenn

Glen, Are you sure it's the rear end? I thought for sure my front wheel bearings were going bad because of the same symptom. As it turns out, the noise is the tread on my tires resonating through the bodywork and fairing parts. When I sped up it raised in frequency, slowed it lessened, leaning over it changed too... all due to the tire. The tire is fine, it's just something the bike does. My ZZR1200 does it to a lesser extent because they packed some foam inside the fairing. Rear-end failures are so unusual for a Conk that it's a slim chance it's the rear end. If it has oil and gets changed on schedule it will last as long as the engine. David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - Euro http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr1200/index.html

I would tend to agree from my experience that it is perhaps the rear tire. I find most noise at commuting speeds with two up. I'm hoping new tires will help - I'll know tomorrow!

Which brings up a question because I have the OEM Dunlops and a whine which I thought was cam drive related. Which tires have the less whine? :quest: I will be in the market for some new tires at the end of the season.. I was thinking the Pilot GTs?.

I'm running Pilot GTs on my C-10 and don't notice any whine. I've got Dunlop Elite 3s on my GoldWing and they whine like my ex-wife.

I also run the GT Pilots. The amount of noise depends on the road surface. On some roads they are quiet and on others you think there is something wrong. Coggers ROK COG# 8529 Retreads# 3919