• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

May 3rd- Angeles Crest Highway/Mt. Baldy Fun Ride

Motomaniac

COG Southwest Area Director
Good Afternoon All,

We have a ride planned for Saturday, May 3rd. Please open Google map for meeting spots and map of ride.

http://goo.gl/maps/u0SJG

I will be at the Chapman Ave. Mobil Station meeting spot at 8am on Saturday morning. We will leave promptly at 8:30am to head to the general meeting spot at Angeles Crest Highway at 9:30am at Shell station. Please all gas up there for trip through the mountains.

We will leave at 9:45am heading for our first stop at Newcomb’s Ranch for late breakfast or early lunch.  From Newcomb’s Ranch we will follow Angeles Crest to Wrightwood for gas if needed and follow the map to Mt.Baldy with a possible stop at the Mt. Baldy Lodge. Heading back we could all make one last run on the way home on Carbon Canyon Rd.

At the end of Carbon Canyon we will stop one last time if needed and all head back home. Some may want to head home from where we pop on the freeway towards Carbon Canyon.(That’s Fine)

Below are the Official Fun Rules

1) There are no formal rules and there is not a formal leader. 
2) If it rains, we’ll ride another day.  In the unlikely event it decides to rain in Southern California, we’ll try to regroup the following weekend.  You can check the COG forum posting and we’ll try to keep that up to date.
3) It’s not a parade….  We don’t really need to ride in tight formation.   
4) This should be a fun ride for everyone, so everyone should be allowed to go at their your own pace.  Sure there’s times to ride together, but there will be times when the faster riders will want to be up front so they can enjoy their ride.  When that happens, the slower riders (that would be me) can stay back and hold the cagers off to allow the faster guys to move on up the road.  We can re-join and catch up later, so relax and have fun.
5) Anyone attending assumes their own risks, liabilities, injury, loss, or damage to your own person or property. See rule number 1

If you have any questions please let me know.

Ride safe and see you all on Saturday. Come on out all SoCal riders.

Thank you,

Russ  :motonoises:  :great:  :beerchug:

Have 4 including me so far........who else would like to join us? Temperature in the mountains Sunday low 70's Wow! :motonoises:  :great:

Git Some So Cal! Help keep that ball rolling Kap and Rusty started! Momentum Baby, Momentum.  :motonoises: :great:

Looks like we have 6 going.....maybe 7!! Any others want to join us?

I will send in a report with pictures soon after the ride.

:motonoises: :great:

It looks like everyone had a great ride today.  I'm still sitting on the sidelines....  Russ passed on some photos for posting, here's a few shots from the day's event.  The weather and location look WONDERFUL.... 

Russ, give us a short ride report....

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Kap said:
It looks like everyone had a great ride today.  I'm still sitting on the sidelines....  Russ passed on some photos for posting, here's a few shots from the day's event.  The weather and location look WONDERFUL.... 

Russ, give us a short ride report....

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Had 7 riders.... C10 Riders-Jack, Jeff and Jimmy- C14 Riders- John,David,Cynthia and myself.  Great group! Highlights include Riding the loop of Upper Big Tugunga to Angeles Forest Highway back to Angeles Crest, Breakfast at Newcomb's Ranch with our bike line-up and many other bikes there too,Ride to Wrightwood, Ride up Mt Baldy and the very cool ride along Glendora Ridge Road from Mt Baldy to Glendora with so many twists and turns it would be hard for me to count! Weather was awesome in the mountains with clear skies and temps in the low 70's....just a little (ok a lot) warmer at lower elevations. Riders came from as far away as San Jacinto and Thousand Oaks. Personally I put on over 300 miles for the day. Look forward to the next adventure!

:motonoises:  :great:  :beerchug:

It was a fantastic ride!  It has been quite a while since I was up on the Los Angeles Crest Highway and it reminded me of just how great the riding is up there and in the surrounding areas.  :great: Near the top of the road, there was still a little snow! We spent much of the day riding ridge lines, which is fairly unique in California.

I've attached a few pictures that I took when we stopped off the Glendora Ridge Road.

Attachments

• Glendora Ridge Road 3resized.jpg
    Glendora Ridge Road 3resized.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 84
  • glendora ridgeCOGresized.jpg
    glendora ridgeCOGresized.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 92
  • glendora ridge2COGresizedb.jpg
    glendora ridge2COGresizedb.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 91
Looks good, wish I could of made it.  This ride is on my list but I'm coming from Flagstaff, az. I was out there in Feb. for a concert but not on the bike.  I was near the Angeles Crest Hwy and drove some of it to check it out.  Mark

This was my first time riding with the SoCal COG group and I had a really great time.  I have not had the opportunity to really push my C14 in the twisties like that since I got it.  I can see I have a lot of work to do.  Thank you to all of you who put up with me being the least experienced rider in the group, especially Russ who stayed behind me when I couldn't keep up with the rest of you in the twisties. I hope you will let me ride with you again so that I can work on being a better rider.

I am glad we didn't scare you off. It was a great day for riding and not much traffic at altitude. Hope to ride with you again.
DGOLD (David)

Ladybandit said:
This was my first time riding with the SoCal COG group and I had a really great time.  I have not had the opportunity to really push my C14 in the twisties like that since I got it.  I can see I have a lot of work to do.  Thank you to all of you who put up with me being the least experienced rider in the group, especially Russ who stayed behind me when I couldn't keep up with the rest of you in the twisties. I hope you will let me ride with you again so that I can work on being a better rider.
You rode great! Had a lot of fun! You better come out again!
DGOLD said:
I am glad we didn't scare you off. It was a great day for riding and not much traffic at altitude. Hope to ride with you again.
DGOLD (David)
We sure had a fun day of riding! Great seeing you again David. How was the ride back on Angeles Crest? Do you think you can make the Kawa Open House this Saturday?

:motonoises: :great: :beerchug: