• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

(MD/WV/VA/PA) Annual Crabby Pig and Mr. B's BBQ scheduled.....

Gypsy JR

The 2013 versions of the Crabby Pig meet and greet and the Mr. B's BBQ ride to eat are on the calendar. Last year we had folks from PA, WV, VA, MD, etc.

Crabby Pig (Cumberland MD) is on May 11th (Saturday) arrive around 11:30 a.m. Like last year, we will try to put a few tables together. Hope we get a crowd like last year, that was fun!

Mr. B's BBQ (Berryville VA) is on July 13th (Saturday) arrive around 11:30 a.m. or whatever, eat some good southern-style BBQ, choke the parking lot with C10s and C14s.  :great:

The GPS will lie on that one. We rode around for about 30 minutes and finally stopped and ask someone. GPS takes you miles away.

Tim And Trish said:
The GPS will lie on that one. We rode around for about 30 minutes and finally stopped and ask someone. GPS takes you miles away.

+1

If you are coming south on 340, when you exit Berryville at the south city limit, Mr. B's is about 10 minutes (max) down the road. Ok, maybe longer if you are dawdling.

I will try to remember to save my location in the parking lot to my GPS, so I have it for next year and can post it.

Thanks to Jason I know exactly where the Crabby Pig is.  So when I use Tyre to travel in conjunction with Google Maps to create my route I can pinpoint the Crabby Pig exactly.  Unfortunately the Crabby Pig did not qualify for inclusion in my Smoke Chasing Tour because none of the signage indicates that they do barbeque.  :-[

Btw, Google Maps places the Crabby Pig 0.25 mile South of its actual location.  But if you click on the actual location you get the following coordinates: +39° 38' 55.18", -78° 45' 46.16"  Also, the parking for the Crabby Pig is about 40-50 yards North from the actual restaurant, so you won't be able to ride to the exact coordinates, if you don't decide to just illegally park your motor on the walkway underneath I-68. 

Tim And Trish said:
Not the Berryville one, the Crabby Pig is the one the GPS sends you to the next town.

Huh? It used to be at White Post which is a bit down the road, now it is just south of Berryville. At least, thats where it was last summer after they moved.

We put the Crabby Pig in our Garmin last year and the thing sent us to the next town West of Cumberland. About 5 miles away.

OMFG you guys need to forgive the haze that descends on my mind sometimes.

Yes, the Crabby Pig is in Cumberland, on Canal St. and when  you get close, ignore your GPS and follow the street signs, "<----- Crabby Pig" which will get you there quickly.

And so yes, Mr. B's is just south of Berryville VA since they moved north from White Post.

Honestly, I'm not taking any narcotic painkillers..... but I might be having withdrawals from same because I was on them until yesterday.

Hoping to make both, this year.  Last year, after Mr B's BBQ, I took a nice ride out to the Rocky Point Creamery, for ice cream.  Yum, might have to think about that again this year.
i-scream-for-ice-cream-41.gif

[quote author=Tim And Trish link
That explains it! Gravel Positioning System  :rotflmao:
[/quote]

That'll teach me to read the fine print! Gravel!!  ;D

Glenn said:
Hoping to make both, this year.  Last year, after Mr B's BBQ, I took a nice ride out to the Rocky Point Creamery, for ice cream.  Yum, might have to think about that again this year.

I like that idea

Tim And Trish said:
Glenn said:

I like that idea

Me too!  :great:

Real nice riding in both areas!  I am going to make it a point to try to get to both of these events.  Thanks for the Heads Up!

As for good roads, the coolest part of old 40 I have found can be gotten on if you leave Cumberland on 68 headed east to Hagerstown, exit at exit 62, turn left on 15 Mile Creek Road, go over / under 68 and not far north at the Greenridge Youth Center, turn right (the road naturally wants you to) onto old 40, and let 'er rip.

The drop down into the forested meadow is awesome...

Its only 5 minutes or so, but its also history.

First time I did that on my ZX14 I was far too hot at the bottom of the drop and the suspension compressed big time and I almost lost it.

Phil the groundhog said we'd get an early Spring, I hope he is right, I'm jonesing for riding right now.

Come on John, folks down your way can probably ride pretty much year round. Although the last time I rode down there in winter, it never got above freezing. Well technically it was still fall. :))

Cap'n Bob said:
Come on John, folks down your way can probably ride pretty much year round. Although the last time I rode down there in winter, it never got above freezing. Well technically it was still fall. :))

I know of no other response than you, sir, are full of it.  :rotflmao:

As long as the roads are clean and dry and your battery has a full charge and is installed, there is no reason why you can't go for a ride.  I've ridden when the temperatures were in the 20o range a couple of times.  The first time, which was also my first ever tour in 1982, I froze my ass off that night because I was not prepared.  I didn't have any electric clothing nor had I brought all my cold weather layers with me when I left to go to Florida.  That was one lesson well learned.

The second time, in the 1990s, I had a Widder Electric Vest with the correct layers over it so I was fine riding that day in bright sunshine.  Now that I've got a Gerbing Jacket Liner I'm even more comfortable on a cold day.

COG-528 said:
As long as the roads are clean and dry and your battery has a full charge and is installed, there is no reason why you can't go for a ride.  I've ridden when the temperatures were in the 20o range a couple of times.  The first time, which was also my first ever tour in 1982, I froze my ass off that night because I was not prepared.  I didn't have any electric clothing nor had I brought all my cold weather layers with me when I left to go to Florida.  That was one lesson well learned.

The second time, in the 1990s, I had a Widder Electric Vest with the correct layers over it so I was fine riding that day in bright sunshine.  Now that I've got a Gerbing Jacket Liner I'm even more comfortable on a cold day.

I am happy you can do that, and thanks for telling me what I should do.  :beerchug:

COG-528 said:

Clearly it does, as is so often the case. What works for one may indeed not work for another.

But.... we WILL have good weather for the Crabby Pig meet-n-greet-n-eat and I look forward to taking the place over again. So everyone who can, please, please ride over to Cumberland, have some great BBQ, and maybe go for ice cream afterward. I think we have a guide for that.  :great: :beerchug:

EDIT: The certain way to get to Crabby Pig is to be on 68W headed through Cumberland, where it forces you down to like 40mph (and they do laser clock in there, I've seen them get folks). Take exit 43C (Downtown) and at the bottom of the off-ramp, you will see a white sign that says " <---- Canal Place". If you follow those, eventually (like in 2 minutes or less) it will start to say " <---- Crabby Pig" too. You end up in a parking lot along the canal, looking at a small retail complex. The Pig is in the back, just walk between buildings and its on your right probably.

Ignore your GPS from the time you get to exit 43C because it will put you in a totally wrong place. I know, I sat there for 30 minutes the first time, thinking "WTF?"

For anyone who insists on trying to use their GPS to get to the Crabby Pig, here are the actual coordinates: +39° 38' 55.18", -78° 45' 46.16".  You will not be able to ride to that exact point unless you choose to illegally park on the walkway under I-68.  I did park there on my last visit with no repercussions but YMMV.

That sure is a much better set of coordinates than Mapsource or Basecamp will find on their own. Thanks!

:motonoises: :great:

Happy Spring to all!

Anyone coming through, or close to central Bucks County PA (35 miles north of Philly) on their way to the Pig or Mr. B's and would like to add a bike to their group, give me a holler.  I'm in the neighborhood of Quakertown, PA about 1/2 way between I 78 and I 95.  I could meet you on the road early on either of those Saturday mornings.  Thanks.

Mark
PS...  Jonesing for the ride and the ICE CREAM!!  ;)

I don't know for sure if I will be making it to the lunch at the Crabby Pig on May 11th but I will be going to the Spring Fling the following Thursday in Bedford.  I suppose there is also a chance I might take a ride out to Pennsburg or Fat Daddy's Bar-B- Q in Easton sometime before hand as a Spring tune-up after being off the motor all Winter.  If I do that we might meet then.

Just signed up for the Crabby Pig lunch. It's 278 miles for me, and worth every inch too! Haven't been there in years, but it was awesome.

Look forward to seeing yon's there.

You could sign up on the calendar, but its not mandatory. The important thing is, show up !  :beerchug:

Well, I guess I get to attend my own rte event, I've made up my mind to make the surgeon wait until the end of may after the fling to cut on me, so I can get both of them in. Its just the right hand / wrist this time, nothing that won't heal in a month.

It may be pretty much the only COG rides for me in 2013, given the surgery dates I am looking at. Three of 'em.

You guys may have to bring some Mr. B's BBQ to me, later on in the year at the hospital. Except I doubt I will be able to eat it.  :'(

:motonoises:

Just got a handy newsletter in my email, with a heads-up about this event. I mostly hang out on ADVrider, but it sure would be nice to meet some other Connie pilots. Any room for new folks from Baltimore?

chisenhallw said:
Just got a handy newsletter in my email, with a heads-up about this event. I mostly hang out on ADVrider, but it sure would be nice to meet some other Connie pilots. Any room for new folks from Baltimore?

Come on down, it'll be a great time for all!

You guys have fun at the Crabby Pig, I am getting cut on a week before that and won't be able to operate a motorcycle until June sometime.

Just show up, and do like we did last time, get them to put four or five tables together, and take some pictures and tell tall tales, enjoy tasty BBQ, and have fun!

:'(

Bummer JR  :sorry:

Hey Chris (voileauciel) - would you be willing to take point on this in in place of JR? 

To All -
Sign up is not required, but it helps know an approximate headcount. To register, go to the event page in the online calendar: http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDetail.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=178933
Use the Member Registration button on the event page and when prompted use the username/password you created for your COG account access so that the event gets attached to your user account and gets displayed correctly in the attendee list.

Sorry you can't make it JR, but glad your getting the more important stuff done.  Heal quickly.  :beerchug:

I can totally take point on this for JR, no worries. I'm actually thinking of riding down the night before and checking into a hotel nearby, so I can be there early to make sure the place is set up. Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Last June I spent two nights, about ten days apart, at the Sleep Inn in Clear Springs, MD whichis just West of Hagerstown.  At that time I was able to get the rooms through Priceline for less than $50/night which was absurdly cheap for this place.    Both times I got the room via Priceline only a few hours before I arrived which may have helped to get the low price.  It is about a 50 minute ride to the Crabby Pig from the Sleep Inn.

Well, bummer. Bad news - I gotta go back to North Carolina to check on my mom, who's had a bit of medical trouble. Can't make it to Mr. Crabby's. Good news - Gonna ride the connie down there!  :motonoises:

Not to rain on anyone's parade (pardon the pun) but it looks like the weather is going to turn foul on Friday and Saturday. I had intended on riding down after work on Friday night, check into a motel, and then show up in the morning. No sense in going almost 300 miles in the rain, at night!

Will be keeping an eye on the weather. If things clear up, I'll go, if not, going to pass on this, as I severely dislike riding in the rain.

voileauciel said:
Not to rain on anyone's parade (pardon the pun) but it looks like the weather is going to turn foul on Friday and Saturday. I had intended on riding down after work on Friday night, check into a motel, and then show up in the morning. No sense in going almost 300 miles in the rain, at night!

Will be keeping an eye on the weather. If things clear up, I'll go, if not, going to pass on this, as I severely dislike riding in the rain.

Are you going to let rain stop you from attending the Spring Fling?  This time of year it is hard to avoid riding in the rain unless you stay close to home.  A few years ago Jason & I went for a nice ride to Cumberland from Somerset on a damp Spring Fling day when everyone else decided to stay in the motel.  That was the day we found the Crabby Pig.  The weather was much nicer in Cumberland than Somerset. 

But be prepared . . . some people are suggesting that Jason has already jinxed us on the Spring Fling weather. ::)

Wayne_Sikorski_NJ said:
gsjay said:
enjoying the 2nd perfect spring weekend weather in a row here in Western PA....................

It it holds out till Mid May it will make for a perfect weekend.

BOOK THOSE ROOMS>
jason

Way to jinx it Jason. Now where did I put that rain gear...? :021:

I just figure, if you don't ride in the rain, how are you going to wash the bugs off of your motor and riding gear? :017:

There's quite a difference here: Spring Fling is possibly riding in the rain to a hotel that I'm staying at for 4 days.

Crabby pig is riding in the rain, at night, to a cheap motel, to wake up, ride in some more rain to have lunch, to then ride in the rain to go home, 4+hours away.

Having ridden all over WV a few years back in constant, soaking rain, and then having the next three road trips follow the same pattern (Vermont/NH/Maine/Nova Scotia, Tennessee, and Ohio), I've decided that spending all day getting wet is of little interest to me.

Just my 2¢.  :)

Had to pull out of this. On top of the weather, my partner's ride from the airport on Saturday morning just had to cancel, so need to go pick him up. Y'all have an extra rack of ribs for me, yeah?  ;)

voileauciel said:
Had to pull out of this. On top of the weather, my partner's ride from the airport on Saturday morning just had to cancel, so need to go pick him up. Y'all have an extra rack of ribs for me, yeah?  ;)

Have him spend the night at the airport. You can pick him up Sunday on the way back.