• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Mercedes' V6 hybrid F1 car beats V10 era Bahrain lap record

jimp

Sport Tourer
During Qualifying for the Bahrain F1 race, Lewis Hamilton's Mercedes F1 V6 turbo hybrid beat the lap record set by Fernando Alonso in his championship-winning, V10 Renault R25. Hamilton's 1:29.493 time put him in pole position, and undercut Alonso's 2005 pole time of 1:29.848 by 0.355 seconds.

Freakin' amazing the power coming from these small, 1.6 liter V6 motors in comparison to the old 3.0 liter V10's. Butt... I sure do miss the sound of those old naturally aspirated V12's and V10's. The difference between those old motors and these new ones is like the difference between the scream of the old 500cc 2-stroke MotoGP motors and the drone of the current Yamaha flat plane crank motors.

Oh, and todays Bahrain race was pretty good, too. Some damn good racing behind the leader. And the Haas entry finishing in 5th? Who'da thunk that a brand new F1 team would be doing so good. Go USA!

No Joke! It was a great race. The Haas team has surprised almost everyone on the grid. Having Ferrari as a partner certainly can't hurt, but even with that they still have exceeded expectations across the board. Grosjean is currently AHEAD of Vettel in drivers points. NO WAY anyone would have seen that one coming.
As far as the power, they had 1000hp 1.6 liter v-6 and 4cyl turbo engines back in the 80's. What makes what they are doing now so wild is that they are using far less fuel to do it. IIRC, Steve Matchet said something like 1/3 less fuel in a race distance and still running quicker. WOW! Gonna be a good year I think.

txfatboy said:
IIRC, Steve Matchet said something like 1/3 less fuel in a race distance and still running quicker. WOW! Gonna be a good year I think.

I heard the same thing.

I've never been a huge fan and for the first time in a long time, I watched every minute of the race.

[/quote]

I watched every minute of the race.
[/quote]

You missed the spectacular qualifying?  Sorry, couldn't resist.  ;D