• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

metal noise when starting (Cam Chain?)

harryzgnilek

Tricycle
Hi all

I just bought a new Concour1400 2011
After my first maintenance at 600miles (done by the dealer)
I noticed a metal sounding noise when I started the bike. IT only lasts a second then goes away.
It will only happen when I haven't started my bike for over 12 hours.
If I start and stop it during the day there is no noise.
Please help!!!
the oil the dealer used was 10w40...
any idea? is it bad for the bike?

thank you

Sounds really bad. I'm going to help you. Send me your address and I'll come by and pick it up. When I get it fixed i'll bring it back.  >:D I think it has to do with the cam chain adjusting. It has been mentioned here before and seems to be normal.

Pretty funny ...but you will have to pay the taxes.
So It is normal and not to worry?
is there anyway to fix the noise?

adjustment..whatever?

thnaks

The noise sounds bad but just disregard. Takes a second or two to tighten the chain by hydraulic pressure. Better to start the bike off the kickstand and  straight up.

Harry put a few thousand miles on and switch to Mobile One 4 cycle motorcycle and forget it. Mine's noise went away after I made the switch.  ;)

Thanks
the part i do not understand is. Never made that noise before the 600mile maintenance
Can it be the quality of the oil too?

The cam chain tensioner is supplied oil pressure to assist it in moving forward to take up any slack that exists between the grooves that lock it in place. So if it is mid point between clicking forward to the next groove, the oil pressure helps holds it forward halfway until it wears enough to click forward one slot.

It is perfectly normal to hear chatter on start up. Once the tensioner receives oil pressure it should go away. It usually takes a second or so, and will take longer in cold temps. Don't loose any sleep over it, it's normal.