• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Metzeler Roadtec 01

giant81

Mini Bike
I'm looking at a pair of the Roadtec 01's and wondering.  Is there any reason not to get the HWM version? 

I'm running an 09, C14, and I'm 6'9", 300lb. So it's essentially running two up with just me on the bike. 

I've also heard that they tend to wear down to a wide flat center stripe.  And that a 55 series tire tends to stand up a bit taller, causing more of an inverted V profile. 

What I'm hoping is that taking a flatter profile tire like the Roadtec 01, and buying a 55 series size will give it a bit more rounded shape, then since they are HWM models, they will last longer. 

They are also cheaper than the PRT4's. 

Hi,
        Have you tried the Angel "A" Specs???? ;D

Attachments

• tumblr_oodyemBa1I1u66s8io1_500.jpg
    tumblr_oodyemBa1I1u66s8io1_500.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 157
I know it feels like on the forums that the PRT4's and Angels are the only thing to use, and I almost bought a set myself, but after seeing a review by F9 about how the angels are great for more aggressive riders, but not as good for more timid riders, It looked like the Roadtec 01's are going to be a better tire for me.

I do a lot of "two up" (well myself, at 300lb) highway miles on 4 lane or straight 2 lane highways commuting to work in all weather.  I can't drag knee, and as much as I'd love to, I just don't have anywhere I'd feel comfortable doing it, and I'm too big to borrow leathers to ever end up on a track. 

The angel's sound like a solid tire, if you can actually use them.  I can't, so the 01's seem like a better fit. I know they're new, but the reviews seem solid so far. 

I've just mounted one up on my rear a couple weeks ago, I only have about 30 miles on it, so I cannot give a review- the weather has really been sucking it the last couple months here. But so far I like it, hoping next weekend and the Spring rally will really give it a workout! [crossing fingers on weather]

I mounted up a set of these in early Oct., had high hopes for them. 1,500 miles in they started getting noisy while cornering. At 2,500 or so they were squaring off a lot. 60% highway - 40% curves, all loaded. They follow grooves in the road worse than any tire I ever had. Now at 4,100 miles, the deepest tread I can find front or rear is 3/32. There at the wear bars towards the outer quarter.

If I ride them till there slick, I should get 5,000 out of them. Pretty disappointed in them  :'(!

Cliff  :beerchug:

Just Cliff said:
I mounted up a set of these in early Oct., had high hopes for them. 1,500 miles in they started getting noisy while cornering. At 2,500 or so they were squaring off a lot. 60% highway - 40% curves, all loaded. They follow grooves in the road worse than any tire I ever had. Now at 4,100 miles, the deepest tread I can find front or rear is 3/32. There at the wear bars towards the outer quarter.

If I ride them till there slick, I should get 5,000 out of them. Pretty disappointed in them  :'(!

That’s discouraging. Your report seems to conflict with most of the other reports that I’m seeing. Other users are reporting 11,000+ kilometer lives out of their sets. I’m not saying you’re wrong, obviously, I’m just wondering what might account for the discrepancy. I’ve been watching the reports closely because I’m due for a new set next season And I haven’t been happy with the wear pattern on the PR4s, and was really looking at going back to the Metzlers.

Staylo said:
Just Cliff said:

That’s discouraging. Your report seems to conflict with most of the other reports that I’m seeing. Other users are reporting 11,000+ kilometer lives out of their sets. I’m not saying you’re wrong, obviously, I’m just wondering what might account for the discrepancy. I’ve been watching the reports closely because I’m due for a new set next season And I haven’t been happy with the wear pattern on the PR4s, and was really looking at going back to the Metzlers.

I haven't read any reports so I don't know what they say. I tried them because I've tried everything else out there & you don't know till you try it. Was really hoping to see 7,000 - 8,000 miles out of them. Then maybe I could to drop down to 2 - 3 sets a year instead of 4+ a year that I average now.

11,000 kilometers equals 6,800 miles so I'm not that far off.

I have only used PR 3's & 4's in the past and Angel GT-A's just recently.  No data for Metzeler so my comparison is between PR & Angel.  I just finished a set of Angels with 12,000 miles of mostly slab commuting while carrying my 240 lbs (conservative).  I am more than happy with the mileage and performance of the Angels vs. PR.

I hope I didn't muddy up the thread but there's a reason why so many riders are on Angels.  Just sayin.  It still comes down to personal preference.

I put on a set of Roadtec 01's in September to replace the Angel GT A specs. I could not get another set of the Angels, because they were on back order for over a month; so I tried the Roadtec 01's. I have managed about 1500 miles before winter closed in. I will be going back to the Angels when these wear out. The Roadtec's seem to be wearing ok, and the grip seems fine; but they steer WAY HEAVIER than the Angels. They make the bike feel 100 pounds heavier than it did with the Angels. Just my $0.02.

Tree said:
  I just finished a set of Angels with 12,000 miles of mostly slab commuting while carrying my 240 lbs (conservative).

My last set of Angels was good for 9 days, 4 in GA., 4 in MO., 1 in AR. 3,400 miles total & they were will past worn out. I avoid the slab & don't ever commute.
I can only dream of that kind of mileage.

Throttle 8 said:
I tried the Roadtec 01's. I have managed about 1500 miles before winter closed in. I will be going back to the Angels when these wear out. The Roadtec's seem to be wearing ok, and the grip seems fine; but they steer WAY HEAVIER than the Angels. 

I didn't mention that, but steering is much heavier. lots of bar pressure. I'll be going back to Avon's myself!

Just Cliff said:
Tree said:
  I just finished a set of Angels with 12,000 miles of mostly slab commuting while carrying my 240 lbs (conservative).

My last set of Angels was good for 9 days, 4 in GA., 4 in MO., 1 in AR. 3,400 miles total & they were will past worn out. I avoid the slab & don't ever commute.

Throttle 8 said:
I tried the Roadtec 01's. I have managed about 1500 miles before winter closed in. I will be going back to the Angels when these wear out. The Roadtec's seem to be wearing ok, and the grip seems fine; but they steer WAY HEAVIER than the Angels. 

I didn't mention that, but steering is much heavier. lots of bar pressure. I'll be going back to Avon's myself!

Have you tried Dunlop Roadsmart 2’s or 3’s?  A co-worker uses them on his Fjr and gets 10-12k off the rear.  That’s mostly freeway riding, 140 miles a day, 4 Days a week. 

Lurch71 said:
Just Cliff said:
Tree said:

Throttle 8 said:

Have you tried Dunlop Roadsmart 2’s or 3’s?  A co-worker uses them on his Fjr and gets 10-12k off the rear.  That’s mostly freeway riding, 140 miles a day, 4 Days a week.

I've had Roadsmart's & Roadsmart 2's. I didn't like them & best I can remember mileage was around 4,500.

Just Cliff said:
Lurch71 said:
Just Cliff said:
Tree said:

Throttle 8 said:

I've had Roadsmart's & Roadsmart 2's. I didn't like them & best I can remember mileage was around 4,500.

Hey Cliff, since you have tested every tire for the connie under the sun, how would you compare PR4's to the Angel (GT-A is it)?
I was thinking about going Roadtec, but after your review, no way jose... which leaves me with the angels... I like to take curves aggressively (speed and lean). Look fwd to your input!  :great:

Jerdurr---if you ride hard the Angel GT A Specs are the tires for you. I might have been a little hard on the Roadtec 01's in my earlier post, they do seem to have pretty good grip; but I don't care for the heavy feel. I will be going back to the Angel's for my next set----they are amazing for riding hard, the bike tips into the corners with them in a way that you cannot believe for a bike this big. :beerchug:

Hey Cliff, since you have tested every tire for the connie under the sun, how would you compare PR4's to the Angel (GT-A is it)?
I was thinking about going Roadtec, but after your review, no way jose... which leaves me with the angels... I like to take curves aggressively (speed and lean). Look fwd to your input!  :great:
[/quote]

The Angels are great tires, I would pick them over the 4's any day. Especially for more aggressive riding. The 4's & 3's have all kind of funny wear patterns. I figure that's why they're discontinuing with the 4's so soon. 2's never had those odd patterns. I want buy any more Angels simply because of my mileage results. I need all the miles I can get or maybe a tire sponsor  ;D.

Mileage is subjective though, Tree said he got 12,000, I got 3,400. Everyone of mine were hard miles though, I'll blame it on Steve & his flash though.

Avon 3D-XM's have been the best overall tire for me after going through a dozen sets or so. That's what I'll stick with till something else comes out to try.

Pick something & try it, your results will vary.  :motonoises:

Just Cliff said:
Mileage is subjective though, Tree said he got 12,000, I got 3,400. Everyone of mine were hard miles though, I'll blame it on Steve & his flash though.

I was very careful with this set of tires.  Basically staying in the same rut in the highway to/from work.  I wanted to take the back roads lots of times but I needed to see how the Angels handled the commute.  The 12K miles is real.  I have Steve's ECO flash and it took a ton of self control to keep that genie in the bottle.  :motonoises:  This next set of Angels I won't be so nice to.  >:D

Tree said:
Just Cliff said:

I was very careful with this set of tires.  Basically staying in the same rut in the highway to/from work.  I wanted to take the back roads lots of times but I needed to see how the Angels handled the commute.  The 12K miles is real.  I have Steve's ECO flash and it took a ton of self control to keep that genie in the bottle.  :motonoises:  This next set of Angels I won't be so nice to.  >:D

Just to make sure we are comparing apples to apples, are we talking about Pirelli Angel GT, or Regular Angels here? I believe the GTs will give more mileage. Cliff, were you using the GTs or the regular ones?

Jerdurr said:
Tree said:
Just Cliff said:

Just to make sure we are comparing apples to apples, are we talking about Pirelli Angel GT, or Regular Angels here? I believe the GTs will give more mileage. Cliff, were you using the GTs or the regular ones?

Mine were standard Angels. I've never used the heavyweight version of any tires. There harder to mount & have a harsher ride. I could be & probably am wrong, but I think the only real difference between the 2 is in the sidewalls. Strictly for load carrying not more mileage.

That's what I understand about the Angel GT's.  The 'A' specification refers to a stiff sidewall.  Supposedly better for heavier bikes.  They may be harder to mount/dismount, I can't tell the difference.  I slather on so much Goop that they practically mount themselves.  ;)

In multiple discussions; Cliff keeps telling us that he gets better mileage out of the Avon 3D-XM's and likes they way they handle.

He rides far more miles than the rest of us, is in Arkansas {that is a known tire wear area}, and I've rode with him, {he's pretty aggressive for an old guy}..  :nananana:

We keep talking about Angels/PR4's/etc etc etc...
I suggest we humor him, and listen to the old grouch. {as he goes thru more tires than anyone I know}..

Personally, I plan to buy a set of them next.

Is anyone else using the Avons? Thoughts?

Ride safe, Ted

PS: There ya go Cliff.
          I talked nice about ya.
                Do you feel better now??  :)

connie_rider said:
In multiple discussions; Cliff keeps telling us that he gets better mileage out of the Avon 3D-XM's and likes they way they handle.

I suggest we humor him, and listen to the old grouch. {as he goes thru more tires than anyone I know}..

Is anyone else using the Avons? Thoughts?

Ride safe, Ted

So I checked my log book, I've been trough 32 sets of tires since new. I'm no tire expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I do know what's worked best for me.

The Avon's consistently get 2,000 + more miles than any thing else I've tried. I even managed to squeeze 8,000 miles of a set last year on a 12 day 16 state ride out west. A major record for me, typically they get around 7,000. They also handle about as well as anything else I've tried wet or dry & they wear nice even & round.

There are a couple of well known & respected members here that refuse to use Avon's for any reason. Apparently years ago they had a delamination problem.  After a dozen sets they have worked well & been trouble free for me.

I really had high hopes for the Road Tec 01, but they disappointed me. Prone to follow grooves in the road, lot of bar pressure to hold a line & mileage is lacking. Currently have 4,421 on them & there pretty much done  :mad:. Rear measures 2/32" from edge to edge & the front measures 2/32" in center with 3/32" on the edge.

When something else new comes out I'm sure I'll give a try. Until then I'll stick with the Avon's. As a bonus their typically $40.00 - $50.00 cheaper than the others.

This is my humble little opinion, your results will vary.

No need to humor me Ted  :).

Just Cliff said:
So I checked my log book, I've been trough 32 sets of tires since new. I'm no tire expert by any stretch of the imagination,
Nuff said, I'll mount a set of Avon's and give'm a go. :great:

When I took my 2015 out of inventory, the first thing I did was mount the Avon's.
They handle great and I have 11,785 miles on them and the front is worn but I will get 2k more from it
The rear looks to have 4 to 6k more miles, in the spring I will mount more Avon's ;D

C-14, GREEN with the SISF Flash, LeoVince carbon fiber slip on and no restraint on my throttle.
But I do live in Flatinois.

YMMV  :truce:

Bikejunkie1013 said:
When I took my 2015 out of inventory, the first thing I did was mount the Avon's.
They handle great and I have 11,785 miles on them and the front is worn but I will get 2k more from it
The rear looks to have 4 to 6k more miles, in the spring I will mount more Avon's ;D

C-14, GREEN with the SISF Flash, LeoVince carbon fiber slip on and no restraint on my throttle.
But I do live in Flatinois.

YMMV  :truce:

Dude...
If you make 15,000 miles out of a set of tires on a C14 (especially the rear tire...) I believe you'd deserve the "Unicorn Tirewear Award".

Thought I was doing good with 12,000/set of PR2's!

I've been running PR2's pretty exclusively, except for 1 set of PR4GT's. Got 8000 miles on those babied babies.

Sadly, it appears the PR2's are reaching the end. The date codes on the last 180/55ZR17 rear I got was WAAY too old. Price was great, but wanna go back to a 190 and feel safer with a fresher date code.
I'll spare you guys just how old the last set was marked... (otherwise, you might start to doubt my sanity for not sending them back...)

So... which Avon and what size on the rear, Cliff?
Bob

No need to humor me Ted :).

Nah, I wuzn't humoring you.
  I'm amazed by the miles you ride.
    That was a saaaaaaaalute!    :bravo_2:
  {Please don't tell anyone I talked nice about you.}

Ride safe, Ted

I will probably try a set of the avon's too.

I want to try one set of each of the most popular tires for the bike, then think back to each and figure out which I liked the best, as well as taking cost/mi into account after being able to ride them myself and find out MY mileage for them. 

I think there was some discussion regarding the angel GT versus the angel standard, and whether or not that would make any difference regarding mileage. On a bike of this weight I would think the GT should actually produce more miles. The stronger carcass would allow for less flexing, which would mean less heat, which would mean the tire should give overall more mileage. Anyone who does track days can attest to how the hotter gets the quicker they wear. Of course a hotter tire also provides more grip.  >:D

I’m coming off a set of PR3s and will likely try the Avon.  I’ve done some research online and the reviewers think it’s a well-balanced and higher mileage tire.  Do the Angels and PR4s etc get more press due to bigger marketing and advertising $$?

So, currently where is the best {ie; cheapest} place to buy?

Ride safe, Ted

Never mind: I went to Jake Wilson and got the 2 for $265... (Their having a clearance)
                            (Avon 3D-XM 190-55 and 120-70)

My apologies for stealing the tread. This is supposed to be about Metzeler Roadtec 01

connie_rider said:

Ride safe, Ted

Never mind: I want to Jake Wilson and got the 2 for $265...

That's a good price, I thought my wife was a better shopper. She paid $275.00 for my last 2 sets. Yeah, she buys my tires. Every time I mount a set she'll ask how many do I have left on the shelf. When I say none, she'll start looking for the best price.

She knows my size & brand!  :)

Just Cliff said:
connie_rider said:

Ride safe, Ted

Never mind: I want to Jake Wilson and got the 2 for $265...

That's a good price, I thought my wife was a better shopper. She paid $275.00 for my last 2 sets. Yeah, she buys my tires. Every time I mount a set she'll ask how many do I have left on the shelf. When I say none, she'll start looking for the best price.

She knows my size & brand!  :)

I'd have to say that you married up.  :great:

Mrs. Just Cliff is one awesome lady, no doubt.

:beerchug: