• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Mich PR3 at 11K report

houstonpilot

Training Wheels
After returning from a trip to Arizona (see video in rides section of forum) with an expected worn out rear tire I checked to find that I have 10956 miles on the rear since installing the pair last March with maybe 2-300 miles left, maybe. The front has a couple of thousand left on it possible more as I didn’t break out my depth gauge tonight. That’s about 11K for the rear I think that’s pretty good mileage, I maintain 42PSI in both tires religiously and check and record the depth with a digital gauge at each oil change. I hardly ever ride 2 up and when I do she only weighs about a Buck 'o5, me I’m about a quarter over 200 lbs. I estimate that about 4K of this tires life was Interstate, I say this because in last summers record 100+ deg heat I took a trip that was 3K all interstate, so about 40% interstate over the life of the tire. I would describe my riding style as Conservative to moderately Hooligan.
  What I don’t know is if I have the tire that's rated for heavier loads, how would I tell? I want to mount the higher rated tire on next.

That's great mileage. My PR3 will not make that. But hey, it's doing pretty good. I have over 6,000 miles on it now. I'm hoping to get another couple thousand out of it. But they are starting to wear down. Maybe they will last that long. Anyway, I will replace them before NE area Dog Days  summer rally trip. (if not before another trip I'm making next month)  I already have another set of PR3's in the basement as back ups. They have proven decent enough in all areas to justify a second set.

11,000 mi.? How is that possible, my 6 week old PR3's have 5180 on them & getting very thin. Might go 6500-7000, hope I just make it through the nationals.

Cliff    :beerchug:

what PSI where you using ? and thats crazy miles wow . i have never gotten more then 4000 miles on a set of tires , and i ride them till there bald edge to edge ,

Must be all concrete roads where you are. You get twice the mileage that many of us 14er's get. Amazing, I ride the hell out of my bike when twisties come along, accelerate hard and brake hard most all the time. The bike is so much fun on the gas, eats good tires in 6k....the price I pay..

Currently have 8500 miles on the rear pr3, still looks good with quite a few miles left on it. The front was replaced a little while ago due to a puncture issue.

42PSI per a pretty accurate digital guage. Maybe I dont ride as hard as others.

anthony - Sacramento said:
what PSI where you using ? and thats crazy miles wow . i have never gotten more then 4000 miles on a set of tires , and i ride them till there bald edge to edge ,

Good info.
I got 10k miles on a set of PR2's on my 2001 ZR7s, so I put the PR3's on it last fall and just sold it and got my 2011 connie.  It has bridgestones on it now, but will likely go back to PR3's, or by then they'll have PR4's?  >:D

Houston, check to see if there is a "B" or "U" on the side wall. that will tell you if rated for higher loads(B).

I'm hoping I can hit 8k with my PR3's. Anything else is gravy. I have about 4k on them now and they look good. I'll probably put another 1500 on them before I go on a 2000+ mile trip in July. If they make it to the end of that trip I'll be happy.  I run 42 front and rear, though the front seems to fluctuate more and is harder to get regulated.

as a side note, I almost picked up a tire depth gauge the other day in Autozone, probably should go back and get it. I finally found a pressure gauge that doesn't require a contortionist to use on the front tire. A small Slime brand digital gauge that was 9 bucks.

I have the same Slime gauge I think, with the wrap around house. Found it at Wal-Mart, is was identical to one of the high end gauges I was looking at. I purchased a digital tread depth gauge on line. My front fluctuates as well.

DanL said:
I'm hoping I can hit 8k with my PR3's. Anything else is gravy. I have about 4k on them now and they look good. I'll probably put another 1500 on them before I go on a 2000+ mile trip in July. If they make it to the end of that trip I'll be happy.  I run 42 front and rear, though the front seems to fluctuate more and is harder to get regulated.

as a side note, I almost picked up a tire depth gauge the other day in Autozone, probably should go back and get it. I finally found a pressure gauge that doesn't require a contortionist to use on the front tire. A small Slime brand digital gauge that was 9 bucks.

Looks like my front is clearly marked as "U" and while the rear appears to be "B" load rated there actually seams to be no "B" rating in the 190/50/17 size per the Michelin web site application chart ( http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/pubs/fitment2012.pdf ) the 190/50/17 has a max load of 805lbs same as the "B" rating in the 180 size. I found a "B" on my rear tire near the load and inflation information on one side of the tire. The front "U" was in a slightly different location proceeded by "LR" (I presume load rating) and very pronounced. So I'm not sure of why I was able to get 11K out of mine, and others are reporting 5K and fewer on their tires.I called the local shop that I trust and where I purchased the last set from and they tell me there is no "B" rated in the 190/50/17 so now I'm puzzled, maybe when the tire first entered the market they had a B rating, I bought these about that time (last March). I hope I get 11K out of the next rear. I looked at the 190/55/17 and cant see why I would want it, 2mm less tread and same load rating.

The 55 is all about the handling. It turns better, easier, less effort turn in, makes speedo read spot on, easier to raise onto center stand...lots of goodness to the 55 aspect ratio...

What a waste that would be....I will take the trade off with the more apex's the better and more tire wear...