• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Michelin Pilot Road 3 tire its new anyone use them yet ??

anthony2008

Mini Bike
here is a link just to show what in talking about http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/396/35277/ITEM/Michelin-Pilot-Road-3-Rear-Tire.aspx 

This thread on the same subject (PR3) was started a little bit ago. I don't like to give people a hard time about search features, because I don't always have the best results myself with the search function. But opening the tire/suspension section would have found you this thread.
I'm really not preaching about this. Just a useful tidbit that may answer your questions quicker in the future! Sometimes you can find subjects your interested in by going into the section or using the search feature. OK, that's the offical answer.
I have them on my FJR now. I started this this linked thread a little bit ago. Hope it helps.  :)

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,26833.0.html

Hey Bob,

I know you were initially impressed with the wet weather handling of the PR3's but the jury was still out otherwise.

Now that you have some miles on them, is the wet weather still as good? 

Just want to know how they are doing for ya :)

So far I still like the PR3's. They have somewhere around 4,000 miles on them and I still have no complaints. They do not handle as well as the Angels! But they handle very well and haven't felt and unexpected squirming around. (well a little in Ilion gorge - but I think it was bumps and tar snakes and me that day) If they last as long as the PR2's are suppose to (without sucking like the PR2) , they may get a second chance. But if they fall off quick now, they may not. I guess the later part of their life will tell a lot. But so far I still like them. Although i haven't ridden the bike in the rain and have only been on it once since June. So these tires may last a while!  :))

No personal experience with the pr3's but I can relay my friends comments.  He ran the first set for 9300 miles.  This was about 3500 miles in no curve having, hotter than heck Kansas.  The rest of the miles were through Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, then repeat.  During the Wy and Co legs he went through lots of rain.  Daily in fact with no ill performance.  I asked if he ever felt squirmy while riding through that much standing water and he said he never had one "oh crap" moment.  Scraped the pegs in corners, in the dry of course.  He liked them well enough, he had a new rear sent to my house and we mounted it last week.  His front might make it almost to the end of the second rear.  At least that is what he thinks.  I think it will make it a little more than half way.  Still pretty good wear.

I'm a little over 2k into mine and really like them so far!!  :13:

IMG00385-20110713-1735.jpg

If ZG is endorsing the PR 3’s, then that means something.  I’m sure since the tires are black that makes them faster too.  :D  I have 4300 miles on the stock Bridgestone’s, and they still look good.  I do think they are holding me back in the turns, so it’s time for a change.

I’ve been watching the PR3s for awhile.  There are a lot of different reports on performance, but best advice is that PR3s are intended for sport touring, not aggressive riding where the Power CTs are probably a better choice.  I’m not very aggressive (about midway through the stock BT-021s after 6k mi), So, I ordered a set of PR3s from Bike Bandit last week during their tire sale (maybe still going on).  After sale price and AMA discount got the set for my 2010 for $255 delivered.  I don’t need them yet, but couldn’t help taking advantage of the sale. 

Called my dealer to ask about mounting and balancing and was quoted $250, and had I bought them it would have been included in their price of $550.  I bought four motorcycles from these guys (MFI in Woodbridge VA) in the past two years and you’d think they’d want to take care of their returning customers.  I like to be independent whenever I can, and I’ve mounted/balanced tires for my KLR on a portable gear, but getting too old to wrestle with the portable changer.  So, I’m considering a no-mar tire changing set-up.  Anyone used one of these on the Connie wheels and PR3s?  Looking at the videos on line it seems much easier and precise (keep from damaging wheels and TPMS).

I've used the Nomar setup and it's a very good (but spendy) tool.

You can also see if you can find the old Harbor freight changer and get the Mojo Lever (Fred's method) which is a lot cheaper and works well.

But for me,  I just don't want to wrestle with tires anymore.  I will pull the wheels from the bike and take them to a local motorcycle shop who charges me 40  bucks total to mount and balance (And he even disposes of the used rubber for me)....  Paying 40 or 50 is worth it to me to not deal with the hassle, but I still remove and reinstall the wheels so I know it's done correctly  (I am one who likes to use a torque wrench on everything)

Something not right with $250 for mount & balance. Maybe they quoted price bringing in the bike, not just wheels? Most Cycle Gear locations will mount and balance for $30... Less if you got the tires there.

I just installed the PR3's and now have about 1,000 miles on them.  I love them, very sticky, stable and no surprises.  I have not ridden in wet weather yet so I cannot comment on wet handling, but dry road riding is awesome. 

This past weekend was a 851 mile trip to the Texas Hill Country.  I rode 2 up with my girlfriend and the tires performed very well.  At this point I would buy them again.  We'll see how many miles I get out of them, only time will tell.......

S Smith said:
Something not right with $250 for mount & balance. Maybe they quoted price bringing in the bike, not just wheels? Most Cycle Gear locations will mount and balance for $30... Less if you got the tires there.

Yeah I agree, something not right since shop rates are $75hr.  I'll check around and see if I can find a better deal.

I purchased the tires at the Motorcycle Superstore.  I had the PR3’s mounted and computer balanced by a Yamaha dealer since it was miles closer and I was doing them one at a time=2 trips.    The front and rear cost $27.20 each, and that price included $2.00 to dispose of the old tire.  I hope this helps.

4Bikes said:
I purchased the tires at the Motorcycle Superstore.  I had the PR3’s mounted and computer balanced by a Yamaha dealer since it was miles closer and I was doing them one at a time=2 trips.    The front and rear cost $27.20 each, and that price included $2.00 to dispose of the old tire.  I hope this helps.

That's a great tip, I wasn't thinking beyond the original dealer.  Several other dealers (Suzuki/Yamaha) closer so I'll try them.

I'm still running the older "Made in Thailand" PR2's. I plan to try the PR3's as soon as I finish these off. Just curios, has anyone looked to see where the PR3's are manufactured?

I mounted a pr3 on the back and an avon ultra storm 2 of my c-10 about 1500 miles ago. I went with some  cog buddies up to barber motorsports in Al, then a huge front came in and we rode virtually the entire way back to central florida in the rain. While on I 75 in Ga, we had a hard time keeping together, and there were times I had to run 95-100 mph to catch up with the other guys. The bike was as sure footed and stable as on dry pavement. Absolutely confidence inspiring. My previous set of tires was a PR2 and an ultra storm avon. That pr2 gave me 9300 and still had 800 to maybe 1000 miles left on it when I replaced it (it wouldn't have made the barber trip completely). The only time I got that kind of mileage from a back tire was when I had metzeler 880's on a long time ago. If this pr3 lasts like the pr2, I'm in for another one! steve

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
and there were times I had to run 95-100 mph to catch up with the other guys.

You are really pushing your luck running those kinds of speeds in the rain. The chances of hydro-planning go up dramatically with speed. You'd be smart to never exceed about 65mph in the wet on any motorcycle. All it takes is one little pool of standing water in the road about 1/2 inch deep to put you on your butt. Your bike will go out from under you so fast you won't know what hit you, and there will be no warning at all.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
Steve in Sunny Fla said:
and there were times I had to run 95-100 mph to catch up with the other guys.

You are really pushing your luck running those kinds of speeds in the rain. The chances of hydro-planning go up dramatically with speed. You'd be smart to never exceed about 65mph in the wet on any motorcycle. All it takes is one little pool of standing water in the road about 1/2 inch deep to put you on your butt. Your bike will go out from under you so fast you won't know what hit you, and there will be no warning at all.

Ya know Fred, I know that. I didn't do this because I wanted to, it was the situation. I posted this not to tell guys they should speed in the rain, my point was to say that the pr3's appear to be a superior tire in the rain. Further, I'm not a kid on his first bike. I know the risks - heck, I probably crashed every way there is to crash when I was a kid. I'll tell you that if I had stuck to your recommended 65mph top speed on I 75 in Ga, I probably wouldn't be typing this right now. Steve

Sorry if it sounded like I was chastising you. I just thought it was something that should be pointed out for everyone's benefit. I have a very good friend who totaled his bike with new tires on it when riding in a light rain at about 70mph when his bike hydroplaned and went out from under him.

And if it helps any, I'm no saint myself, and I'm just as guilty as anyone of not paying enough attention to my speed, and I probably need to take my own advice sometimes. I've probably done things far more dangerous than what you posted a time or two.

Mike G said:
Called my dealer to ask about mounting and balancing and was quoted $250, and had I bought them it would have been included in their price of $550.  I bought four motorcycles from these guys (MFI in Woodbridge VA) in the past two years and you’d think they’d want to take care of their returning customers.  I like to be independent whenever I can, and I’ve mounted/balanced tires for my KLR on a portable gear, but getting too old to wrestle with the portable changer.  So, I’m considering a no-mar tire changing set-up.  Anyone used one of these on the Connie wheels and PR3s?  Looking at the videos on line it seems much easier and precise (keep from damaging wheels and TPMS).

When I first started looking into doing my own tires I considered the no-mar and the harbor freight one and...
Then I came across some "low brow" versions and at first I dismissed them.  Then I watched a few videos and what not and finally decided I would give it a try.  I gather supplies (I can give details if anyone wants them), but the changer itself was constructed with less then $50 worth of parts.  I did buy the no-mar changing bar for $125 and it was worth it.  The changer is basically a car wheel, covered in rubber hose, welded to a steel pipe that goes into the trailer hitch on my truck.  No scratching.

I was telling my non-riding buddies about this and they were laughing at me and calling me cheap.  But the reality is this.  I paid about $175 for the changer and it takes me about 30 minutes total to change a tire.  When I took it to the shop, I spent  40 minutes driving the wheel down there (20 minutes each way), and then I spent another 40 minutes picking it up.  That was an hour and twenty minutes of my time, plus $35 bucks for the replacement ( I brought them just the  wheel).  Now I spend 30 minutes changing a tire and it is free (well not free, but it gets chedaper every time I change them ).  to me it really seems like a win.

Regards, Guy

Mike G said:
... "I ordered a set of PR3s from Bike Bandit last week during their tire sale (maybe still going on).  After sale price and AMA discount got the set for my 2010 for $255 delivered. ..."

MIke, make sure Bike Bandit sent you "Z-RATED" tires. It has been disclosed that Bike Bandit sends out much less costly "W-Rated" tires, which do not perform and last as long as "Z-Rated" PR3s. If not Z-Rated, may want to consider returning them.

Rich Wackett - Adventure Traveler Enjoying Life! said:
Mike G said:
... "I ordered a set of PR3s from Bike Bandit last week during their tire sale (maybe still going on).  After sale price and AMA discount got the set for my 2010 for $255 delivered. ..."

MIke, make sure Bike Bandit sent you "Z-RATED" tires. It has been disclosed that Bike Bandit sends out much less costly "W-Rated" tires, which do not perform and last as long as "Z-Rated" PR3s. If not Z-Rated, may want to consider returning them.

O_RLY.jpg

:rotflmao: