• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

michelin pr4 gt or pr5 gt?

themadchef

hello all! i know this has been braught up many times! i have a 2018 c14, just got it last year and i got 9k miles and i need to change my tires! i know which brand i want, i just like to know the difference of these tires? i know the pr5 gt are available! but is it worth getting them?

michelen pr4 gt or pr5 gt?

what are the differences?
anyone have the pr5 gts? and what are your thaughts?
Is it worth paying the difference?

toatal milage on pr4 gt or pr5 gt?

thanks for any help, themadchef!
Modify message

This doesn't really answer your question but when I bought my bike last summer the PR 5 GT's weren't available so I went with the PR 4 GT. If the PR 5 GT's would have been available last August I would have bought those. Very few miles on my PR 4's but they handle fantastic.

As a general rule, I get the latest and greatest from whatever tire manufacturer I'm currently liking. 

I just got a Road 5GT on the front of my 2010 C14 to replace the Road 4GT that was getting thin, but not down to the bars yet. I got a 4GT on the back a few thousand miles ago, before the 5 GT was in stock at my dealer.
If you're not the first owner, you won't remember the first tire change from the original Bridgestones, but getting those things off the bike is a high point in most C14 owners' lives. That's about what it felt like when I changed from the 4GT to the 5GT. Maybe it's just me, but the 4GTs always felt like they wanted to go straight. In corners, I had to hold the bars over to keep it from popping up. I noticed the difference immediately when I changed from the PR2s (Just a Michelin man, I guess). With the 5GT on the front, it's back to just thinking about a turn, and we start banking. I really can't explain this, but I also noticed that the bike is a lot easier to keep upright at very slow speed - like walking speed or slower. The wife and I took a two-up ride for an hour or so yesterday, and I noticed the same thing with her on the back. I've always been a bit wobbly at slow speed, but this thing makes it a lot easier to be stable. That probably makes no sense, but I've got 60,000 miles on this bike, and it feels completely different with the 5GT.
I've been told not to expect the same mileage from the 5GT as the earlier PRs - I got 12K from the last 4GT, which is about my average. If the 5GT gets a bit less than that, it's worth it for how it feels.

I got ~9k miles on the Road 5s.  They both were not quite to the wear bars, but getting close enough for me.

I just replaced them about a week ago with Road 5 GTs.  So far, they feel just about the same.