• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Michelin Tires on My 2009 C-14

nodesurfer

Bicycle
Hey folks,

My still fairly new-to-me 2009 ABS has great tread left on both front and rear tires and rides and handles great, in my opinion.

My question is, the bike came to me with the Michelin Pilot Road 4 190/50ZR-17 on the back and the Pilot Road 3 120/70 ZR-17 on the front. The tread patterns are quite different. Me, I wouldn't ever mix and match tires like that. Except when I was running a Michelin Run-flat on the back of my previous 2010 Goldwing, with a Bridgestone MC tire up front. But that was a great fit for that bike. I want to stay with more appropriate tires for this bike.

I know the Michelin Pilot Road 5 is coming. I won't need tires until probably well into 2018, but definitely before the Spring comes. If I were going to buy now, I would choose the Pilot Road 4 GT, I think.

The question: Is there any good reason for the previous owner to have chosen to replace whichever tire he replaced with a different model than what was on the other rim? Anybody else mix and match these tires, and if so, why? And what sizes would I want to correct speedo error again? I read it someplace else but forget what was said.

Thanks,
Mike

You didn't mention mileage on the bike, or if both tires are new?
It's possible the rear wore out first and was replaced with a Pilot Road 4, or the prior owner just preferred the Pilot Road 3 on the front.

Regardless, you won't have any problems with this mix.

In another discussion, we learned the Pilot Road 5 won't be in the USA until 2019.
Until then, Michelin suggests the pilot Road 4 GT for the C-14.
  http://forum.cog-online.org/tires-suspension-c14/michelin-road-5/msg618771/#msg618771

When you change the rear, change to the 190/55ZR-17 as it's supposed to be the best size to correct speedo error.

Ride safe, Ted

Tread patterns are different?
In that case you really don’t want to see
what I have on my bike. Lol
Ride more, worry less. When it’s time to replace
buy whatever makes you feel good.

OK, thanks, Ted, and Works. That's good info. I was thinking the Road 5 was coming January 2018. So now, after looking at various options, I'm definitely planning on the Road 4 GT.

As for my bike, it had nearly 11,000 miles on it when I got it and has about 11,990 on it now, I will break 12,000 on the ride home from work today. I know that both tires were replaced. He said one about 5K ago and one maybe 3K ago...he wasn't real sure. I'll guess the front has the 5K, because to me, neither one looks like it has much mileage on it. The tread is excellent on both. I didn't notice when I bought it that they were different models of tire, just that they were nice looking Michelin's with no tread worries anytime soon and a great feel on the road.

I will get myself a set of Pilot Road4 GT's in due time. Looks like $362 for both, for the 190/55ZR-17 and the 120/70ZR-17 on www.Americanmototire.com which is where I usually go. They seem to wear really well. Unlike previous bikes, I will not be doing any double-up riding on this one. The previous owner had a wife that rode with him frequently. Mine used to but decided she was done when I wrecked my Goldwing 3 years ago and nearly died.  ICU for 3 weeks, 3 surgeries, 4 month recovery time at home. All good now.

I got myself a 2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100 when I recovered that I rode for two years and then recently sold it and got this one. So far it seems like the perfect compromise between a V-twin cruiser and a 6 cylinder Goldwing. And more fun than either of those.

it seems like the perfect compromise between a V-twin cruiser and a 6 cylinder Goldwing

Yeah... that's about right... faster than a cruiser and not as fat as a Wing...    ;)

BTW ... the 2 Michelin tires are 'perfect' together... I just tell folks to air them up to 40/42 psi and they feel better and last longer.

Yeah, my first new bike was a 1978 KZ-650 with a jet kit and a Kerker 4-into-1 header. It's great to be back to some Kawasaki 4-cylinder power. I traded that KZ-650 in on a new 1981 GPz-1100. That was a screamer, but the Concours is faster.

My tires are at 42 PSI, warmed up.

FWIW try the 55 profile. Some likey some don't. Me likey. Seems to help turn in for me. Damn, sucked into another tire thread  :beerchug: :)

Going to the 190-55 series on the rear does help correct speedo error... some, but not all.
Every C14 I've seen shows 3 mph fast with the 190-50. The 55 will correct around 1-2 mph, but I've never had one do a 3 mph correction. 180-55 only corrects about 1 mph.

Like others have stated, I also prefer the 55.

I read that for the initial introduction of the new 5 series Michelin, (Jan. 1, 2018), it will NOT be a GT, and won't be recommended for the C14 & heavy bikes by Michelin until they release that series later on.

I also agree with what others here have stated about there being no problem mixing tire series.
Bob

Wow! This is the first time I've tried to post a pic from PB since they did what they did...
looks like it still works! Cool...

Can't go wrong with Michelins but...consider Angel GT spec 2's.  A little cheaper and I have not had them break loose on anything wet or dry.  Confidence booster in the twistys.  I second going with a 55 on the rear, I switched on this set and the cornering is mucho better IMHO.