• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Michellin PR II's

diablo6v

Mini Bike
FWIW posting up a mileage report for the PR II's. Rear tire (170/60/17) has got about 11,500 miles and probably has about another 1500 or more left. The front is the only tire I have EVER had that cupped (out of 5 street bikes and countless front tires). The softer side compound wore down faster than the harder center. When you look down at the tire from above you can clearly see it, almost like a ridge. Other than a weird feeling when transitioning, the tire is still very sticky and is great in the rain. The front's got about 10,000 on her with no end in sight. I'm thinking probably 15,000-20,000 miles depending on your riding style. First time on my connie that I put tires on her and forgot how long ago it was? I had to go look at the receipt. I am going to try the Avon Storm Ultra II's next. However because of the cupping with the harder center I might go with a regular Storm front. Overall I would give the tire an 8 or 9 out of ten. The Avon Storm/Azaro combo has been the best for me so far in all conditions- except the mileage. ( I ride every day rain or shine. I normally put between 15,000-20,000 on her a year. It's a mix of superslab & local traffic..Until the weekends then the twisties start.)
Hope this is informative for someone.

Thanks for the input. Shopping for tires on the C10 is getting more and more challenging.
Where do you find "twisties" anywhere near Tampa? I was down there working on a USCG Cutter, took a drive and boy, is it flat around there! Luckily, I like variations in altitude with my "twisties" since I live in the Pacific NW.

2linby said:
This review for the C-14 or the C-10?  cause a 170/60-17 just ain't a C-10 tire.

Seems this isn't a tire size for the C14 either.  diablo6v, what bike are you talking about?

The ZR 170/60-17 Rear Tire, is the size of the Kawasaki Mean Streak rear tire. He probably did the Mean Streak rear tire conversion!  8)

Cap'n Bob said:
The ZR 170/60-17 Rear Tire, is the size of the Kawasaki Mean Streak rear tire. He probably did the Mean Streak rear tire conversion!  8)

Perhaps, but not being a mind reader I just don't know.

Hmmm hope these are C10 tires with wrong size listed 'cause I need long wearing slab tires for my daily 100 mile commute!

any suggestions if not?...

For long lasting slab tires look to G1500 Wing size tires. The GL1500 has the same size front and rear wheel as the connie. so they mount and fit. They are a +1 size. 130/17-18 front versus 120/70-18, 160/80-16 rear versus 150/80-16.

Some wing size tires wear like Iron, and handle like it too. But there are others that are pretty good handling and still give better mileage than the ST tires.  Michelin Pilot GT's were the fav's but they quite making them. I believe Avon Venom's are the current best wing size available according to recent tire threads. At least in somewhat of a balance between handling and mileage. -- Metezeler ME880's and Dunlop Elite 3's are also a fit. These are one considered to be wear like iron tires. But depending on your needs and riding style they just might be the ones.

I don't have any experience with the Dunlpos on the conk but did use them on cruisers and a Venture Royal back in the 80s.  The Metzlers do wear like iron, mostly because the rubber is so hard that it doesn't "stick" very good.  If you get these be very careful on damp roads.

Thanks Slybones and Oldsawfiler!  :D

I had heard the Metzlers were "slick when wet" and we get plenty of damp days here so I kind of ruled them out for me. I have already locked the back a couple of times and don't want too water resistant of tires. I have heard of going to "wing" sizes but wasn't sure what that meant dimentionally. Now I do  :)) Thanks!
I will check out the Venoms and Dunlops. I am at 8+k now and still have a bit of room till the rear wear bar matches the rubber so I have a while yet. I realize I am giving up some twisty handling and it has that funny transition laying over from the flat to the sides and and deal with it ok. I will do probably 90% straight up riding and am limited by my presonal rider skills (3 months street) and know my limits there pretty well, so your advice is greatly appreciated.

We put a meanstreak rim on the back of Diablo's c-10. I'm running the pr2 in 170 - 17 also on a kosman rim. great tire. Sticks great, very confidence inspiring and gives a real compliant ride too.

and if you want to ruin the handling, then yeah, there's goldwing tires  :mad: Steve

Apparently you make more than me and have more turns in your ride..

I love the Connie cause it can serve such a wide range of NEEDS..

As for my WANTS.... Now that's a Connie of a different color!  ^-^

at this point, my c-10 fulfills all my needs, and really, all of my wants too. It really is a very nice bike, built just for steve! Steve

Zorlac said:
My C10 isn't worth the cost of a Kosman conversion.

Ya know what Mark, on a blue book value, neither is mine. And if you knew me - how I live, how "frugal" (family would say cheap) I am, you'ld know that it's really not in my personality to spend this kind of money on anything I won't be able to recover at resale time. In the case of shoodaben, this bike has really let me explore my mechanical knowledge in a way I haven't been able to do in the automotive world, because of the $$$$ is way more if you do a car. I have to say it's worked out in a way I'd never envisioned, I'm constantly busy in the shop and it's ALL concours c-10 work! I love it! I don't see selling Shoodaben at all, Though there are more impressive new bikes out there, this is MY bike - there are others like it, but this one is MINE! Steve

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
Zorlac said:
My C10 isn't worth the cost of a Kosman conversion.

Ya know what Mark, on a blue book value, neither is mine. And if you knew me - how I live, how "frugal" (family would say cheap) I am, you'ld know that it's really not in my personality to spend this kind of money on anything I won't be able to recover at resale time. In the case of shoodaben, this bike has really let me explore my mechanical knowledge in a way I haven't been able to do in the automotive world, because of the $$$$ is way more if you do a car. I have to say it's worked out in a way I'd never envisioned, I'm constantly busy in the shop and it's ALL concours c-10 work! I love it! I don't see selling Shoodaben at all, Though there are more impressive new bikes out there, this is MY bike - there are others like it, but this one is MINE! Steve

HERE HERE!  and HEAR!

My C10 too has the Mean STreak rear conversion and a 17" front as well.  I think my C10 IS worth spending money on if it makes me smile and gives me some pride in doing something new.  And like Steve, the C10 is kinda like school.  An opportunity to play and learn at the same time... not to mention the joy of doing new things others haven't tried.  A new bike wouldn't be near so much fun.  Like Shouldabeen, Ol' Rusty is all MINE!  Of course she ain't really too much like Shouldabeen.  :-[

Anyways, I used to run the Pilot Roads (pre-PR2s) in the stock front size and a (now discontinued) MACADAM 100 in stock size on the rear.  GREAT tires.  A front little cupping but I got 12k out of it and it stuck very well.  better than the Avons when wet IMHO.  That tire is still available, but no matching rear.  I have run it with the Avon rear and it works OK, but the Avon front is cheaper and is a fine tire too so I ran those matching tires until the 17" conversion.  Currently I have the RoadSmarts in 170/60-17 and 120/70-17 sizes.  Nice enough tires.  Probably going back to Michelins when these are done though they've been very good and seem to last WAY better than Avons... not quite a slick of handling in the twisties, but good enough to drag nearly everything I've got.

More than likely, just about no bike is going to recoup the costs of doing any mods. Maybe a few circumstances, but for the most part, very few if any will recoup the costs. It's always been a money losing proposition modifying you bikes. It's very rare when you actually recoup the costs or make a profit when you sell you used bike.
  I can't belive the amount of money I have basically thrown away on mods or farkles over the years. But if it makes you happy, I don't see it much different than going out to dinner or movies. Basically a waste of money, but it makes you happy. With the Mean Streak mod, you get a great looking wheel on the bike that just happens to have more tire size options. So it's can also be about functionality while wasting our money on the bike!  :D

P.S.  Nobody try to steel the wheels off my Mean Streak, OK!  :))

OK, good points guys, but as long as there's 16" rear tar being sold that fits I think I'll be OK.
Got a Pilot GT @ ~1/3 worn on it & one in a box so I can wait on the CT option for awhile yet.  :p
BTW, as much as I was amused over the GT tar wars of years past, it's been the best rear tar I've had on My Concours IMO.

oldsawfiler said:
What is involved in the "Mean Streak" conversion, other than aquiring a wheel?
Well, there are options.
In my case, I machined about .300 off the rotor mounting surface and turned down the mean streak rotor 10mm and bolted it on with the stock hardware and caliper.  That is, IMHO, the least expensive and easiest fix.  My machining costs were less than $100 after buying the Meanie wheel, rotor, bolts, caliper, and master cylinder for $175.  Yes, I got a good deal, but patience and persistence pay off.

Others have used a bolt-on rotor solution and several creative caliper fixes.  I'll let others post their own experiences and solutions.  In any case, it's not that hard nor is it that expensive.  Even giving $200 for a wheel and $100 for machine work is only $300 (new math) which IMHO is money well spent on a superb mount.  Everything else is virtually bolt-on and go.  The 17" rear is the more important one.  There are plenty of front tires available in the 110/80-18" front, but few in the 150/80-16" rear.  With the Meanie conversion you have Pilot Roads, Pilot Road 2s, RoadSmarts and a number of other combinations available to you.  No bike rides much better than the rubber you can put on it.  This is a major improvement in my opinion.

Thanks Rev.  Even at $300 total its a little out of my rang.  Guess I'll stick with my Battle Axe 45vs for now.

oldsawfiler said:
Thanks Rev.  Even at $300 total its a little out of my rang.  Guess I'll stick with my Battle Axe 45vs for now.
I can't blame ya.  It certainly isn't a FREE mod nor as frugal as the Cat-O-Cruise or helmet lock relocation mods, but it's still a good one.  There are still some good tires available for the Connie, but they're getting a tad rarer each year it seems.  I found the mod much cheaper than another bike (none that are as good as Connie can be had for a comparable price) and so it WAS a great improvement to he longevity and my continued happiness with her. 
Cheep? No! 
Worth it?  To me, yes! 
Fun?  Dangbetcha!  :)

If you're happy with your options, there's no need to change unless the options change.

Avon is supposed to do a storm 3 rear in 150 - 16 for the connie. There's a really modern tire option, enough so that I'd hold off on the rim and go the avon route. HTH, Steve

I thought just about everyone in COG land knew that there are alternatives to the stock wheel. That is why I just listed the tire size. It is a C-10 with a 17" mean streak wheel. I got it from a fellow Cogger (thanks Larry B.) for $100 shipped. The machining was $75 new bearings etc. So now I 'm $200 into this. with a rear tire $145 it's more like $345. I ride almost every single day 50mile commute. I wear out Avons in about 7-8000 miles and thats with a good flat spot on the rear by about 6-7000 miles. I will get about 12,500 out of the rear before I replace it. I just saved about $50 depending on how much you pay for your tires. The savings was just icing on the cake as far as I am concerned. You get an incredible choice of tires to mount and the ride is much smoother. Every mod I make keeps me just a little further away from a C-14 and a bike payment. New cams going in next week I hope. yeahhhhhh :D
As Far as there being no twisties in Fla. well now you just have to know where to look. Alas no elevation though and that is alot of fun sorry  :-\

I bought an '06 last year, to compliment my '98  that is getting to the point (132K) of being pretty "needy". Anyway, the '06 has/had the Wing sized Dunlop Elite 3s on it. I was used to running Dunlop Sport Touring radials and boy was there a difference! Good, if you want mileage, not so good if you want handeling. I, personally missed the handeling so am now, finally, in the process of changing out. The problem was that I wasn't going to chuck them til I wore them out and that has taken me 15K miles to do that, on top of whatever miles the guy that I bought it from had run up. Not many, I think. Anyway, if you want lasting tires that do well in most all road conditions, I can recommend the Elite 3s and I have worn out my fair share of tires on C10s with about 190K miles racked up on the three that I have owned. Now have the '98 and an '06.
Part of the tire problem now is, that there are fewer and fewer options to us C10 riders. Unless we want to go to the "Wing" oversize tires. Or the original Dunlop K700 series which are "OK" but marginally. Price is pretty good though.

Dan

Just changed the front tire out on sat. The trip to Daytona finally did it in. I will change the rear next weekend. I got 15,000 out of the front and will get about 15,200 or so out of the rear. IMO that is incredible mileage out of tires that are as sporty as any Avon radials I have ever used. I hope the Storm Ultra II's are as long lasting.

Slybones said:
15K out of PR2's and the only down side was cupping on the front tire? Dang, time to start shopping for a Mean Streak wheel.
Wait until that crash investigation lawyer wraps his head around that.

I dont figure it would get that far. They will see I mounted a 170/60-17 tire in a 16 inch wheel ( thats what is says in the book ) and they will know right off why I crashed.

DamDan said:
<SNIP>
The problem was that I wasn't going to chuck them til I wore them out
<SNIP>

You see, this is a big problem.  No one wants to give me tires until they've worn them out.  Does everyone think I don't need good tires too?  C'mon, let's step up and give chuck some NEW tires for a change.  I'm sure you'll be happier if you do... I'm positive I will.  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

chuck 2 (the one who always spells it in lowercase)