• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Michigan - Weekend with the Sleeping Bear! - Traverse City August 28-30

talcon

Weekend with the Sleeping Bear!
Traverse City, Michigan
Fri, Sat, & Sun - August 28-30

Tunnel-of-Trees-7-2011-0.jpg
-wHZ2nG6Te8s2Q6SYlDe_8dwOpw6bo9hd3rYRwhlJAo=w1024-h602-no

There are many ride options to choose from!  I'm imagining splitting into smaller groups depending on interest.  Here's a few options:

• M22 around Leelanau Peninsula, lunch at Leland (Fishtown)
  • Tunnel of Trees from Harbor Springs with Legs Inn for lunch
  • Shorts Brewing company
  • Leelanau Peninsula Wines: http://www.lpwines.com/

We are staying at the Timber Ridge Resort - they have cabins and campsites, etc.  http://www.timberridgeresort.net/  They still have a few cabins left for rental and plenty campsites I'm told.  Please make your reservations ASAP - as they are filling up.  (877) 978-3866.  I have one basic cabin already reserved for Fri & Sat nights that sleeps 4.

I'll need to consider this one!  As of now I'm free that weekend  ;D, and it sounds like a beautiful ride.  Too bad it's one of the last weekends before the tourist types send their kiddies to school, so they'll be out in droves.

As you know I live on the other side of town. I can and will
provide any support that maybe needed. Check your brakes
and tires and I will try and to find some interesting roads that
you may not have been on.
As they say, "come on up" or was that down?

Pardon my ignorance...just want to get my facts straight, plus figured this thread needed some action.
You mentioned a cabin reserved...does that mean you're set for yourself, or you have spots to share if someone wants to split the fees?(which would probably work for me--my wife would come if other wives were there, but isn't interested in a bunch of guys talking bikes for the weekend)
If we're on our own to reserve a cabin or tent site, is there a way to choose one near your cabin for hanging out together, or is the place small enough that it's not an issue?

I was waiting to find out what my girlfriend wanted to do that weekend - she has to work Friday night and possibly Saturday and so is passing on coming up. 

Now in my basic cabin - I already have one taker, and now have TWO more spots to share - $50 total for both nights per person (cabin was $100/night and has four bunks).  It's cheaper than getting a site on your own, and don't have to deal with a tent - just some snoring dudes (bring earplugs - I do).  Also has a microwave and small fridge.  I'm making arrangements to have firewood delivered too..

So far, only one wife confirmed to be there that I know of...  and she's a total sweetheart.  So please feel welcome to bring your significant others along. 

I am currently in cabin 80, and RWulf has reserved a site neat it.  The one couple I know of that is coming, has a (honeymoon?  :D) cabin not too far away.

When making reservations, mention that you're with the Concours Owners Group and they'll try their best to get us all together as much as practicable.  You can check out the map of the place at the link I put up above, and see where cabin 80 is (SE corner area).

talcon said:
Now in my basic cabin - I already have one taker, and now have TWO more spots to share - $50 total for both nights per person (cabin was $100/night and has four bunks). 

Okay - I have one more confirmed taker - that leaves ONE spot left in my cabin. 

MichiGlenn said:

Thanks Glenn - you're it!  Looking forward to meeting you! 

Okay all my bunks are taken.  I'll call them tomorrow and see if any more cabins are available.

talcon said:
MichiGlenn said:

Thanks Glenn - you're it!  Looking forward to meeting you! 

Okay all my bunks are taken.  I'll call them tomorrow and see if any more cabins are available.

OK lets us know if more or another Cabin is available as I might be interested in joining the group.  :great:

SilverConnieRider said:
OK lets us know if more or another Cabin is available as I might be interested in joining the group.  :great:

I spoke to the office this morning, they said that there are still basic cabins available that sleep 4, and are $100/night. 

Hopefully a few more people will express an interest in staying in the cabins soon, and you can all split the cost.    :)

RWulf said:
What kinds of graft beer do you guys LIKE ?

Me personally - I like a dry stout  :beerchug:

I like that our wives are welcomed along with this group as I love taking my wife along on our rides! We'll already be camping down the road a ways but maybe we can stop in for awhile! You know, now that I think of it, how come we never have rides for couples eh? How many here like to ride with there significant other?

turbojim said:
I like that our wives are welcomed along with this group as I love taking my wife along on our rides! We'll already be camping down the road a ways but maybe we can stop in for awhile! You know, now that I think of it, how come we never have rides for couples eh? How many here like to ride with there significant other?

My girlfriend likes to ride - but she can only handle about 4-5 hours of riding in a day.. then her knees start bothering her too much.  But she does like to go fast and likes leaning in the corners with me!  :great:

Talcon, maybe if you taught her how ride her own bike
her knees would not bother her.
Just thinking of riding behind someone makes my knees
hurt.

RWulf said:
Ya Jim come look us up. I am guessing you will be over at Cycle Moore.
Hi Richard, you would be right, we'll be down the road at Cycle Moore's but I think we can make it by. Depending on the weather we might come up earlier in the week. It is after all summer vacation!

I was really hoping to get info to help me pack, ie what are we doing for food, supplies needed, etc. and what are we doing besides riding (full contact euchre, loafing in chairs, whatever). 

Anyway, I think I'd be better off buying beer there rather than shaking it down the road from Kalamazoo to up Nort. Especially bottles.  :-[

Beer stores are close and I've got 2 growler's. Will try and have
coffee and some snakes. You don't want to eat my cooking
if you plan on doing some riding? There is a Bob Evens up the
road a bit and Pego's around the corner.

Wish I could join you guys on this one. This is the first non-committed weekend I've had in about a month and I have some serious household catching up to do.

Great area to be riding. Hope y'all have a great time!

MichiGlenn said:
I was really hoping to get info to help me pack, ie what are we doing for food, supplies needed, etc. and what are we doing besides riding (full contact euchre, loafing in chairs, whatever). 

Anyway, I think I'd be better off buying beer there rather than shaking it down the road from Kalamazoo to up Nort. Especially bottles.  :-[

Sorry - been a really BUSY week for me.  I'll fill you all in up there.

Glenn - I am bringing my camp chair, umbrella, air mattress and sleeping bag/pillow only in addition to clothes - the bunks are bare plywood I think?  There might be mattresses on them now, but I wouldn't count on it.  Bring some water, and a few snacks.  We'll probably eat out or make a run for beer, brats, etc.  Whatever you guys want!

We'll sit around the camp fire - assuming no rain.  or figure something else out.  :) 

Looking at the weather - looks like chance of rain late tomorrow afternoon and Saturday morning - should be pretty clear after that, maybe something on Sat. afternoon too (that could always change).  Bring your rain gear.  Sometimes, that's how it goes.  We can still get some decent rides in and some good eats.  The ride home should be nice on Sunday.

I only reserved the one cabin and it's full (me, Stan, Jim, Glenn) - if there is an odd man out, let me know.  I'm sure we can figure something out!

I'm finally getting around to posting some pictures - thanks everybody for coming up!  I had a great time, loved the tunnel of trees ride and really enjoyed just taking our time up and back  :)

CeFioVG2XoB0xYsUz9YGbF--9wQVG-9ZwUL2fOF_SsztNmNsXjulOnB6ftklDpvV9SeFbHyqfZuMa_haxHhFeIO06z14T8B9InswZVfp9M-21hflD4Oz1ryJcQdzpYLXwBVrayuYYtBSf5HCa-PnUvwZ-fSPaibBCytiuMFnUiOaeQQ9OLJS85c-vXGj3eOE10b_GXvbFXcqYDrJr5zZj2gFBJkwfQxnDtKUbG08-V8JTe5Sg___0O4f07onmKgZ55dQvhO6xK503KX3rCfLmis6RC5bn5oz0dF_WxNdqLPHb2DaIjkQYApyyC1cBWfC1wMBK5oLHlz2j6vie3C6zqRnir9FwZt7JJcL6QAa5DhAfYJHAShYJ0CiFoJ7hBmopbUYs8ExgcQrONfGLzSM5NwCodQ7FTWNdjgJuLzhEcduryjNzUNI3uw6aN94CZLJVkqCAs-3c048C4OPSv15v7bNOKz7rXW7HIq_Ww-YmtaP37mJ9ZvcQcmJSOqSjFwSY6dlgeK5nf3NP3_QXig=w960-h720-no

5zOHS11O9k9P5UtiWK3oDK3HWwzaahE4o2Ku7kXRdbjq8E8rdmNmt6OaoggBQ91RFA7e656UW4xL_ZThqFDr28uZjRIsuVR7Pj45zkb_I-fR3ARNI7v3tIwyJ6HEkDdl2xdgtWILL_0DBsUrG89dxwooPeT5DaJRcT3SBgJ7i3iBhzzWCyZtIzstcwzmO379jiJDw2SCHhetLi_j9qc2hcPbjx2UzE4WtfMqa_Yitj5kHUt5xdi8oPs7qNXb-mChMY2tqLdfSL3CdOLW7JmdTb_Hg0D_1usBbtIuBBndhC4kDbSkCOtbv4r30I434uoU7M8TVWTHwYvaQ1HDl3ANiEute9VCnP_xkh27ZwSWtq6lq4J4yvf-OddimD557uEgNH56TeNXr8Ag5iGvW879xnUvh2knj9VPdHIfnOGP4LuFvlNGqqb_Zzn1_H63w9tl14MhpuVX_F-tNHWKR69a_9Ia5nRt60syNdQiW8OFw-XttcNANCuwl21VsY9wNragn2gkPipbMH4zj9M908M=w1170-h878-no

x9JJqKSXVgUMOfRfnUlCJ97nWUjiis_rbuY0u9lrOUhDGq9JaBS-_LmZFvYPpeWLWT8xOQSyhcKC0HWcSWYGnaFv0x9Zy7_QLLD5puIOGdtk6JCC7vVZdeRZmCZ9A4CrUjJVXNR1ijfw7y4H8J48cRVMiT50EblduQeLfL55mAEgh-EinZhNH9eALWBAudiGWstCA9HpFPDPEaMIRBBygHTAjetjWVMsICLfsB169jOSa-KTTI87weZFXblQ-GfyjiJFye-BGTljA12tECDNRBycnIm-iG5DLNX_HgRISLwT1ImXEscoofONngdEmEXvu3P1nlf0s2CqZXWUGmYdJeA5KqAJuBIBirOo53plBX1h5Yw7KcUUVFOvaqHMH5Tz9Upw8to8SqMuM3y3N_rKROq5mxtFZ9sspIvFdg0uluBm00tuT0SRqUdlgCKp9RCjXzgkeDG0EYzMpPzPVxLdxJwLidpblUgpD-JKBtjG3UCOP3R9Y1pe85pVJSnuCIGsSRMHIyVb9grou2bRGwE=w1170-h878-no

Photo credit to Stasch Photography (c) 2015
The old timer said this was the best $3 breakfast in town - too bad they were closed on Sunday!  Maybe next time!

RWulf said:
Those are the best pictures I've seen. The one of the bridge is
so clear,
Good job Talcon

I can't take credit for that pic.. that was another tourist that took the shot.

Thanks for everything you did for this trip too Richard!  You're the reason we all had such a great time!  Thanks for taking us to breakfast Saturday and for leading up 119!  What a great weekend!