• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

might be moving to zumo from tomtom, have questions, need opinions please

JS_racer

Street Cruiser
say guys, current gps is basically a rider v5 tomtom. seems to work well. able to make routes, have destinations and continue routes. able to store routes, i have many, and name and sort them as desired.  Well, since i liked my current nav, figured i would upgrade t the rider 400. well. hmm, it doesn't seem to be great for me.  there is no way to order the routes, they are last loaded on the top, no alphabetical sort. next is it does tracks and thats nice. but if i add a stop as a destination in tyre on my route, it will navigate me there and continue, but on the gps i get no indicator, notice or anything. just part of the track.  if i set up an itn, like point to point, it will be listed, but not able to differentiate from other points, not good either. plus the route bar looks  mess with tons of flags. i do really like some things, but the software needs a good update or 2 with the right changes to make it good for me. (no reverse route for example) i lke changing from fastest, to winding by touching the route, the route bar on the right, and many other changes.
i only have 1 day on a bike with it, for about 200 miles. the rest was testing and drives to and from work. amazon will take it back for a full refund (30 days). think that is the way to go. sucks cause i have the car mount, case, and extra harness. figures right, lol

Sooooo, possibly looking to switch camps, but the grass always looks greener right ?? lol
thinking the 390,590,395,595.  something along these lines. my phone is a galaxy s7 android. also at this time i do not use a bluetooth headset. not sure if i will or not down the road. i use fitear m-2xb headphones connected to music.

things i like are the winding routes, avoiding dirt, traffic and weather could be cool. it was neat sending from my phone a destination, and the gps had it when turned on.  most of my sundays are following routes, with a lunch stop. average 300-500 miles in the twisties.

any thoughts, opinions, information sure would be great!!  :beerchug:
thanks much for the time,
Joel

Hey Joel!

I feel ya, bro. Right now, the whole GPS market kinda sucks, to me.

I had a Garmin I liked, it got broke. By that time, I wanted a 550. Garmin dropped support, prices stayed high forever, for some reason.

Then came the 660-665's. And along with them, Basecamp. Yuck!
Some have figured out how to wrangle around with it, but it's not great. Wasn't for me.
Then came the 590. Nice unit, Basecamp again, not cheap. Still not for me.

So, I bought a $400 TomTom Rider.
Loved the hardware. Loved the mount. Loved it's waterproofing. Thought I liked the software.
Worked for about 200 miles of a 2000 mile Colorado trip I took... then completely failed.
Couldn't salvage it. TomTom's "customer service" was an oxymoron. Now I have a $400 boat anchor.
So, you won't hear me cheering for TomTom. Ever.

I have an Iphone 5S. I use a Scala Rider G9X. But, the gps on the Iphone was too small to see while riding. However, it's easy to plug a route in.

So, I bought a 7" Garmin Nuvi, and a Ram mount that works with it, slick as a hand in a glove! Paid $175 for it. It's only drawback is it's not waterproof, nor bluetooth.

So, I bought a waterproof clear bag that fits it great, and I get turn-by-turn from my phone's GPS in my helmet, wirelessly. This rocks for me. I hear the directions great, and have a HUGE picture of the road ahead in front of me. Really helps when I'm riding twisties on roads that are new to me.

This setup has a few drawbacks, but works for me fine. And it's a whole lot cheaper.

When Garmin changed their software, went to Basecamp, and threw away viapoints/waypoints, they screwed me. They had an easy way to modify or change routes in a motel room the night before the next days' ride, and chained me to a computer. Didn't look like anything I wanted to spend $800 + for, just to get a waterproof Zumo.

That much money for a gps is just stupid. Guess they think they're pure gold. I don't.

If I hadn't figured this method out that works for me, I was going back to using only paper maps again.
I still carry them, and mostly use them at the room at night, (or if I get lost!)

Which way's best? Sounds like the beginning of another oil or tire thread to me!
Bob

thanks for sharing,  :beerchug:

are you able to work your gps with gloves ?? 
not set on needing a specific gps, my current one is not waterproof, i could use a banana to touch the screen and it just works.
debated the phone thing, i have a galaxy s7, and still have my waterproof s5 samsung. both are water resistant. i keep my phone on me and not the bike, in case the bike and i travel in different directions. plus the screen wouldn't work with gloves. i could tether the s5 to the s7, but then its a gps, 2 phones, bluetooth remote, lol

i use wired headphones connected to my phone, not moved to Bluetooth yet.
thanks again!!
:great:

Both the Garmin 2595 and 2797 can be mount in a Ram clamshell and made 'water resistant' with some sealant. I run a 2595 in the Ram mount and it does fine in all kinds of weather. Have ~35K on this unit and it works fine.

Greg Rice has a page depicting the conversion of the 2797, I can't attach the link at this terminal, but if you google 'greg rice' you should get good hits.

Ram mount for 2797: http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-garmin-dezl-760-rv-760-nuvi-2757-2797-locking-case-cradle-ram-hol-ga61lu.html

This one fits 2595: http://www.amazon.com/Mounts-RAM-HOL-GA43LU-Locking-Garmin-560Lmt/dp/B00946SW8S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1438784564&sr=8-3&keywords=ram+mount+locking+case

Cheap alternatives to a Zumo.

Randy

Joel,
Yes, I can work mine using gloves. But, my gloves are the Alpinestars that have the stuff on the fingers that will work touchscreens.

But the Garmin screen is very touch friendly anyway.

Those locking mounts are interesting.
I've got the 7" Garmin 2797, but have a different Ram mount, bought from Amazon.
The Garmin 2797 unit has a different style power block. It's about 2" tall x 1 1/2" wide w/ several pins that connect/disconnect from the gps.
The Ram mount I bought allows you to fasten the power block to the mount. It fastens to the bike using the standard ball mount. The Garmin hooks onto a lip at the top, and snaps down at the bottom to connect it. It's super easy, super quick to snap it on, snap it off. Yet holds solid.
It does not have a locking feature, though.
Look for Ram-Hol-GA54U on Amazon.

If you select the image of the back of the unit, you can see how the power block attaches to the cradle, and you'll also notice how the power wire comes in on one side of the block, and there's also a 3.5 audio out jack on the other side. You can plug earbuds in there to hear turn by turn audio.

If I stop somewhere and leave the bike, I just snap it off, and put it in my saddlebag to secure it.