• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Minnesota North Shore and Canadian Suspension Bridge, June 14-16

2fast

Crotch Rocket
Grand Marais and Thunder Bay, June 14-16, 2013
This is an nice 3 day weekend event, starting with a ride up to Grand Marais on Friday. Lodging will be at the Outpost Motel, 8 miles up the coast from Grand Marais. This is about 4 ½ hours from downtown Minneapolis. The rates for rooms range from $59-75 which is pretty low for this area in the summer. The north shore tends to fill up early this time of year, so BOOK EARLY. Now is best time to reserve, and early spring at the latest. This would be a great couples event if you want to bring the SO. They have a variety of rooms plus a couple of suites as well, but I can’t emphasize enough how important it is to book early. If you delay, and nothing is available at the Outpost when you book, there are other options in Grand Marais, but they are 8 miles away. It’s likely that there is camping to be found in the vicinity as well.
http://outpostmotel.com/accom.htm or 888-380-1833.
No planned ride route yet, but that will probably happen as the time gets closer. We will plan to be in Grand Marais in time for dinner around 5:00 pm, then 8 miles on up to the Outpost for the night. Saturday we will leave after breakfast for a day trip up north of Thunder Bay, Canada and visit Eagle Canyon Adventures. The distance each way is around 120 miles.
http://www.eaglecanyonadventures.ca/ Be sure to check out the photo gallery on this site.
They have a 600’ suspension bridge spanning the canyon, along with a ½ mile zip line for big thrill seekers. Bring your intestinal fortitude and camera, you will need both. We’ll stay Saturday night again at the Outpost Motel, and then head home on Sunday.
If you don’t have a passport, you should have plenty of time to get one. If you want to come up and skip the Canada part, the area has some outstanding riding and places to visit, so you will not be bored. Hope to see you there!
Calendar link right here http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDisplayNew.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=179577&mo=6&tDate=%7Bd%20%272013%2D06%2D12%27%7D to register.
Brian Snowberg

This is tempting.  I might have to check things out with my wife and see if she is interested.  Last winter we stayed at my bosses cabin 15 min south of Grand Marais and then made a day trip to Thunder Bay to see a concert.  The scenery made us wish it was warmer and that we were on the motorcycle so if this fits time wise it might be a great option for us.

Hope you can make it Thomas!

This event is now live on the COG calendar. http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDisplayNew.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=179577

If you think you are gonna make it, please go to the calendar and sign up. If you are not a COG member yet, you are still quite welcome to come along. We welcome everyone >:D

And to beat the expired equine,  :deadhorse: please reserve at the Outpost Motel early cause space is limited and the north shore is incredibly popular in the summer. They are holding 10 rooms for us through the end of January, so tell them you are part of the COG group. I lifted the cancellation policy from their website and pasted it below. :beerchug:

Cancellations and Early Check-outs:

If you must cancel your reservation, please give us as much advance notice as possible. On reservations for a kitchenette suite, the cottage, or the loft apartment, we require at least a week notice of cancellation. On motel rooms without kitchens you must provide 24 hours' notice of cancellation. If you do not provide the required notice, you will be charged for one night plus tax.

On any unit with a kitchen, you will be charged for the number of nights you reserve, whether or not you stay all the nights. There is no credit for early departure.

I made my reservation also. I am taking the family to the Lake on Thursday so I will meet you guys at the lunch point. Better be on time I hate to eat alone.

The wife agreed it sounded like a fun trip. Then we realized she's a bridesmaid in a wedding that weekend.  I'm guessing they won't reschedule their wedding so I guess yet again I'll have to miss out.
Enjoy gents & gals.

Booked  a room.  Probably won't go to Canada, eh, but I'll ride northern MN and then head back to Duluth where coincidentally my wife has a group activity planned.

Delaine and I are in. Just booked the room. Looks like we spend our wedding anniversary with the COG group again.

We have dinner plans that evening in Grand Marais, but we're in for Thunder Bay. Delaine is afraid of heights, so she said she's not going on the supension bride. Zip line is out, too. I think they both sound great.

It should be an excellent time with some good riding.

Dates marked in my calendar, I'll zip South to the border and spend the day riding along. Depending how early you plan on starting on the Saturday morning I could be in Grand Marais for breakfast!!

Cookie......glad to hear you guys are coming! We will raise a toast to Delaine putting up with you for yet another year :beerchug: :beerchug:

Andrew, it will be great to have you come and meet some of the "locals". You in Canada, or just way nort?

2Fast, I am north of the line, Born and raised in Thunder Bay , I was thinking for those that have not been this way before an other great place would be Kakabeka Falls, just 18 miles to the west with close to a 150 ' drop at the falls. Just saying that could be a quick stop and the a few good back roads and your on the way south on 61 back to the border.

+1 on the falls. I have been there they are pretty cool.

Looking forward to meeting you Andrew nice to know someone is joining COG that is not name Brian :)

Brian said:
LSGiant said:
Looking forward to meeting you Andrew nice to know someone is joining COG that is not name Brian :)

Hey, I resemble that remark!  >:D

Yeah.......we don't have to take that crap! Brian's unite :nananana: :nananana:

Grand Marais and Thunder Bay, June 14-16, 2013

I'd like to make this trip however my son and I already have a weekend planned for a father and son outing.  Maybe another weekend trip or next year.  Hope to see you at the COG Rally in Idaho Falls, as I'll be there.

Denny

Hey Denny, bring him up to the North Shore!

I just talked to the Outpost Motel, and as of today, they have 2 rooms left with 1 queen bed in each room. If you are even thinking of coming, book now, cancel if your plans don't work out.

Hey Jerry, glad to hear you are coming up! Do me a favor and register on the COG calendar of events too, woodja?

whewww been sittin on this for awhile now- but just booked the room - didnt think to ask if there were other rooms available or if that was just the last of the cog block? now to work on the passport card. Canada here we come.

Cobber said:
whewww been sittin on this for awhile now- but just booked the room - didnt think to ask if there were other rooms available or if that was just the last of the cog block? now to work on the passport card. Canada here we come.

Cool man. I think you got the last room. Please hit the calendar and register too  http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDisplayNew.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=179577&mo=6&tDate=%7Bd%20%272013%2D06%2D06%27%7D  There "may" be some spare beds available, but not for sure. There are other lodging spots in the vicinity as well. I'll call the Outpost and see if they might allow camping anywhere on site.....long shot, but I will ask.

If you don't have a passport and don't want to get one, you should be able to get some kind of enhanced drivers license that will suffice.

Hey Denny, bring him up to the North Shore!

Hey, Brian, absolutely would like to make the trip but unfortunately already have some other plans made for that weekend.  We'll catch you guys on another adventure sometime this riding season.

Denny

I just talked to another motel by Grand Marais called the Wedgewood Motel  http://www.wedgewoodmotel.com/

They have one room available at this time for both Friday and Saturday. I'm sure there are other openings in the area, but I have not called them.

Here's some shots from the last time I was up in this area. The bridge in the photo is their "short" bridge. The new one is twice as long!

Attachments

• IMG_0214 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0214 (Medium).JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0236 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0236 (Medium).JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0240 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0240 (Medium).JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 98
Cobber said:

Best to work on the Passport.

Bottom line: Since June 2009, everyone from every country arriving in Canada by air, land and sea has needed a passport or equivalent travel document. (Some exceptions apply to children's passport requirements). Besides an up-to-date passport, visitors may instead have an equivalent travel document, such as a NEXUS Card.

Not Sure about the whole day now, riding buddy getting married(3rd time) on the Saturday @ 3:00. Looks like I will have to get up early and zip across the border to start My ride with the bunch of you in Grand Marais!! This way I can meet some of you and have some riding fun!!
Andrew

Just signed up for my passport card, with a 4 to 6 week wait to get it it'll be close. Looking forward to getting up to the north shore again.

got my card (not passport) in just under 3 weeks - but that was b4 the so called sequestration debacle. Good luck.

Another lodging update. I'm going to share my double room with another rider that had a single room booked. So that means there is a room available with a queen bed. The motel owner said he could also put a rollaway in that room if someone wants to share it, but have two beds. Contact me by pm or email and I can put that together.  :great:

Update.....I'm thinking Saturday for breakfast we should run up the road and eat at the famous Naniboujou Lodge http://www.naniboujou.com/ 
It's a very cool place to see, and not far up the road from Grand Marais.

Never been there  but always drive past when we head South and say we should drive down for Brunch on a Sunday! To close to the house for me to pull in when we go to Minneapolis  or Duluth!
Thats close to the border so I could definitely meet you there for Breakfast . 

Sounds like a plan Andrew!

Since we will be running right by....anybody want to stop in at Aerostich? I'd kinda like to try on a few suits if there is any other interested parties.

Hey Tom, glad to hear you're coming up! The first seeegar is on me ;)  I'm pretty sure we could get you on a rollaway in one of the rooms, so I would just plan on that. Feel free to gimme a call at sixonetwo8sixOfourfiveseveneight if you want to discuss.

Tundra Tom said:
Count me in. No rooms left at the outpost and no passport...let's ride! :)

We will find a place for you? Especially if you bribe us with beer. Get going on that Passport you still have time.

I will bringing the C-6.5

I will buy a couple Growlers and bring C-gars ? :beerchug: (I could not find a groveling smiley)
The Passport won't happen in time, my bad.

Tom, are you aware that mpls now has a major passport center? That and the rush fee and you might be able to enter Canada. Actually, you can enter without a passport. It's getting back into the USA that would be the problem.

Brian I went there today and applied for the passport and card I will have it by the end of the week
Just to clarify you only need a passport card when driving back across the border.
I want to check out that suspension bridge for sure

Tundra Tom said:
Brian I went there today and applied for the passport and card I will have it by the end of the week
Just to clarify you only need a passport card when driving back across the border.
I want to check out that suspension bridge for sure

Now that you spent your money Brian can tell you what the speed limit is in Canada :)

Hey, on a lot of Canadian roads you can legally run 100!!!

Don't forget to NOT bring firearms.

Okay, so is Breakfast Saturday morning going to be at the Naniboujou? 24 miles south of the Line for me. Mapquest shows it 68 Miles from the house. You will have to let Me know 2fast Brian if this is where you will be, 1 hour time difference for me so I should have no trouble blasting down in the morning. m Send me a PM if that works easier!!

I am seriously considering it, just not sure if I can make the "leap" :-\  I don't really have a fear of heights normally. I've done some inverted aerobatics when I flew sailplanes. But watching someone free climb on a mountain makes my palms sweat. Go figure. I like to have some sense of control over my destiny............ I'd love to have the video footage though!

:72:

Andrew......Nani nani boo joo is the plan for breakfast. If you need to call me, its sixonetwo8sixzerofortyfive seventy8.  Not sure about time, but I expect probably around 9ish

2Fast said:
I am seriously considering it, just not sure if I can make the "leap" :-\  I don't really have a fear of heights normally. I've done some inverted aerobatics when I flew sailplanes. But watching someone free climb on a mountain makes my palms sweat. Go figure. I like to have some sense of control over my destiny............ I'd love to have the video footage though!

:72:

I am in as long as I get a ride back to the top.

Did you know that Castle Danger Brewery does not open until 4:00 PM on Friday. How am I going to get Tom to fill my Growler ?

I have the Growler, I am not so sure you want to ride all the way back to Castle Danger just to listen to me Snore.

You are certainly welcome to stay with me though.

P5050040%5B1%5D-M.jpg

Final reminder....PACK YOUR PASSPORT!!

See you at Perkins in the morning :great: :motonoises:

I had the opportunity to ride with Members from the North Central Area and being the only one from North Of The Line,  I was honoured to have lead the way North, Thank you to all for the Southern Hospitality you all extended towards Me. Thanks!!

I hope everyone has arrived home safely......beautiful day to ride, too bad the sunshine was not around yesterday instead :'(

Thanks to everyone for coming up and making it a great weekend. I think we had 13-14 people altogether, with two couples riding two up. The special event within the event was Mr and Mrs Cookie celebrating their bazillionth anniversary this weekend :)

We had a campfire on the beach on both Friday and Saturday nites.....and it was plenty chilly enough to appreciate the heat. Saturday morning we did breakfast at the Nanaboujou Lodge just up the road from the Outpost Motel. We were met there by Andrew-ratherberiding-Morgan from Thunder Bay. He came down to meet the crowd, and then was nice enough to lead us up to Thunder Bay. The suspension bridges were good scary fun to cross, and view was awesome. The proprietors don't allow you to video on the zip line, so they lost out on a bunch of money on that deal.....nobody went. :-[

Attendees came from Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Canada :pDT_Armataz_01_37:  and we had some great beer, food and conversations....what more can you ask for?  Oh, and no performance awards (you guys were so lucky!) or accidents, always a plus!

And I know.... :TPIWWP:

I'll get mine posted soon

Hey everyone, its Brian M Heiple....yes another Brian. Just want to say thank you for having me on the trip. I had an awesome time!! Hope to see you all again real soon!!!

BMH

Nice pics, looks like a cool place. When I depart from the VBR I intend to go over the lake. I may finally have to stop in there. I've been meaning to.

See y'all in a couple of months.

Totally agree! I really like the side shots of members while riding. Great job Brian.
I need to work on the videos.........

Tundra Tom said:
Totally agree! I really like the side shots of members while riding. Great job Brian.
I need to work on the videos.........

Tom, please let me know when your videos are complete, I would love to check them out!!

I'll echo my thanks to Brian for organizing a great event, and all who shared your pictures.  Those were some great catenaries!

Jerry

BackInTheSaddle said:
Tom, no link to the video.

Hi Don,
That's odd it comes up as a window in the post with a thumbnail from the video. I re-posted it twice.
Check your settings?

Very nice work Tom! I really like the suspension bridge vids.....sure glad your camera didn't take the big dive :-\

2Fast said:
Very nice work Tom! I really like the suspension bridge vids.....sure glad your camera didn't take the big dive :-\

Well now, the link for the video is working....Thanks Brian, that was a great time. I needed a new MTB Helmet anyway. ;D