• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Mirror woes

howiwishu614508

The retaining nut on my left side mirror came loose. Didn't lose the actual mirror itself, though, because the rubber boot was still firmly attached. Unfortunately, however, to get to this nut, you have to remove the actual glass mirror and, well, that isn't happening. Broke mine trying to pry the facing off - something else that isn't happening. So anyway, I am now faced with either: 1) paying $150 for a whole new mirror assembly, or, 2) go to a glass shop and have them cut me a piece of mirror glass that I will cut and shape myself. Currently, I'm leaning toward option 2, in which case my question is: how to I get the facing off to put the new glass in? Anyone done this before or am I gonna be like the first monkey shot into space on this on?

P.S. I so hate these mirrors

Option 3; Post on this Forum that you need a mirror, and someone will have one.

(ONOBob had 1 when I needed 1 badly).
ie; My mirror glass fell of the bike a few days before a National.
He shipped it quickly and we made it to the National. (Last year in Arkansas)

You don't have to pry it open to tighten the retaining nut.
Cut a slot in the rubber boot with a razor blade.
,,, Do the cut at the bottom of one of the folds in the {rear} area.
{where the folds are normally in compression}.
Tighten nut and put a drop of superglue on the threads.
Superglue cut area.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: (I think I may still owe ONO a beer?)
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Nahhhh..

Last edited:
Mirror mirror, on the wall, why does ted know how to fix so many issues?...

Cuz they call him connie rider!!...

There was a thread about the c10 mirror, if I recall correctly, where someone had found replacement glass (cheap) and shaped it themselves. Have u done a search?

You also don't need to cut the rubber boot if you don't want to, however the mirror needs to be removed, and then you can separate the rubber boot from the base that bolts into the frame. Move the boot back to expose the nut that needs to be tightened.

That doesn't answer your question though, other than you could have gotten to the nut without trying to pull the mirror glass off, which in the future is something to keep in mind once you get it fixed.

Take the mirror to a glass shop and they will do the job for about $40 - that's what I paid recently for a similar Honda mirror.

The retaining nut on my left side mirror came loose. Didn't lose the actual mirror itself, though, because the rubber boot was still firmly attached. Unfortunately, however, to get to this nut, you have to remove the actual glass mirror and, well, that isn't happening. Broke mine trying to pry the facing off - something else that isn't happening. So anyway, I am now faced with either: 1) paying $150 for a whole new mirror assembly, or, 2) go to a glass shop and have them cut me a piece of mirror glass that I will cut and shape myself. Currently, I'm leaning toward option 2, in which case my question is: how to I get the facing off to put the new glass in? Anyone done this before or am I gonna be like the first monkey shot into space on this on?

P.S. I so hate these mirrors

Let me check my parts box, I can't remember which side I gave Ted / if the one I have left is any good.
Will get back to you later today.

A good suggestion
the scratches aren’t deep, they’re mostly cosmetic…. Light sanding should do it

Personally, I’d paint both mirrors Krylon satin black. Cheap, readily available, durable.
(I’ve used it on several touch up areas)

That way they’re color and finish matched.

Reactions: Bud