• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

mixing tire brands?

mitchvon

Mini Bike
I have always believed that mixing tires brands on cars is bad and causes tracking and handling problems. I replaced the Dunlop Roadsmart Sport Touring tire on the front with a new one. Now my rear tire needs replacement and have been running the Dunlop 205. I am considering switching to the Bridgestone - Battlax BT45V Sport Touring Rear Tire. Any thoughts about switching brands? Should I just replace the 205 with another 205 then switch them both next time they need replacing? Your constructive advice is greatly appreciated.

"I have always believed that mixing tires brands on cars is bad and causes tracking and handling problems."   

I've done it on cars, trucks & the Concours without any problems.  I'm running a Pilot GT in the rear with a D205 up front on my Connie right now.  YMMV.   

Dude, A set of matched radial tires that fit the C-10 (except for the Dunlop 700)are going to be real hard to find. It will also be hard to find another D205 rear tire but the Avon AV46 rear tire should work fine w/ the Dunlop Roadsmart front tire. You might want to double check but I think the Bridgestone BT45 is a bias ply tire.

Yes BT45 is a bias ply 2003 Concours, 64K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Most every dealer that I have heard say not to mix brands, and handling problems, comes the possibility that one tire might heat up faster than the other. So if you are getting crazy and the tires are not warm yet, you might have problems. Where its believed that same brand F/R heat at the same rate. Not sure it matter for my riding style. Grandpa. Also was reading not to long ago about mixing bias and radials. Most say not to do this. But then someone points out that some bikes are sold this way from the MFG. Then they quite tire MFG as saying its ok for Bias Front / Radial Rear but not the other way around. -- But then it appears Zorlac is running the Radial Front / Bias Rear and lives to tell about it. 2003 Concours, 65K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

About 5k miles into the life of my '99 I picked up a slice on my rear (stock OEM Dunlop) tire. All I could get in a pinch was the Battleax you mention below. Ran that rear with the stock OEM Dunlop on the front for 5k more miles until the front wore out, then put an Avon on the front and kept the Battlax on the back for another 5-10k (I forget, that was 8-9 years ago now) until the battleax wore out. Not once did I have any traction or handling problems. Finally I wore out the front and rear at about the same time and went back to "matched" f/r tires. Just my two cent's worth. YMMV, yadda yadda. Scott

Sounds like mixed reports. I once bought an old Porsche 924 that had been sitting for a while as a project. Driving it home I found every bump and railroad track I crossed caused the care to shimmy like some hoochie dancer. I thought I would going to have to rebuild all of the suspension. When I got home and examined the car I found it had 3 different brand of tires on it. I bought a set of Dunlops for all 4 wheels and she settled right down and cornered like she was on rails. Since that experience I have been leery of mixing tire brands.

If you owned a porsche then I hate you...... Oh, yeah, not a 911. Whew! Black and round always has worked for me. Honestly I would suspect most of us couldn't notice the differences between a matched set of tires and a "non" matched set. Granted I am painting with a broad brush and usually don't know what the heck I am talking about....but....... IMHO and IMOE (in my own experience) I've not had any issues with mixing tires. Booze yes, tires no. AKA "2linby" That's 2-lin-by folks! Northwest Area Director COG #5539 AMA #927779 IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor 137,000 miles and counting! http://community.webshots.com/user/2linby http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BunBurner Gold Trip) http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip)

My first post here, I'm fairly active on the fanatics forum. I replaced my front stock Dunlop as soon as I bought my bike this Spring, it had 7200 miles on it. I have now replaced my rear with the Avon Azaro after much reading and research and do not like the combination of the 2 different brands. I'm no peg dragger, but can feel the difference in how the front responds (or doesn't respond, to be more accurate) vs. how the rear responds. The rear tire rolls into the corners much faster than the front, giving a feeling of oversteer, like the back is "stepping out". Also straight line performance is less stable, like always riding in a truck wake. I will be replacing the front tire with an Avon Storm as soon as finances allow. My $.02