• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Mobil 1 diesel truck oil

Has anyone switched to Mobil 1 diesel truck oil? Competitively priced.

As long as it has the correct ratings are on the bottle you're good, checking them would be up to you. JASO, MA, MA1, plus some others, can't remember off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that some oils that are fully compliant for use in motorcycles don't have the Jaso-ma designation because the manufacturer didn't apply for it.
HMMM.

Steve

It either meets the Specs or it doesn't. No where does the manual say "it has to meet the Specs and have a picture of a motorcycle on the container".

It's all about the specs not the label. FWIW...Diesel engines are subject to very harsh conditions and many more miles then gas engines...

Diesel Truck Oil used to have Zinc in it. {which is good for our bearings}
(I'm not sure if it still doe).
When I worked at Shell, the Oil Engineers recommended it over Shell's motorcycle oil.
A lot cheaper and just as good.

I've been using Rotella T Diesel Truck oil in my Connies for 20 years.
NOTE: I recently went to Mobil 1 Automotive because Rotella T was out of stock.
The bike doesn't seem to shift as smoothly, so I may drain it and replace with Rotella T again.

Ride safe, Ted

The bike doesn't seem to shift as smoothly, so I may drain it and replace with Rotella T again.

Ride safe, Ted

funny - i tried to run rotella T6 a couple times and by 2500 miles it felt like my transmission was busted, it shifted so poorly. I went back to the M1 TD 5-40, and shifts are smooth as butta.

Steve

I run high milage 10-40 Mobil 1 Syn for warm sunny Southern California. I also add about a 1/2 qt of Lucas stabilizer for the sticky factor. Only a year plus in my 1400 Connie... ( 3 oil changes so far I think ) and 6 years in my Gen 1 Busa... no issues... shifts beautifully... the clutch in the Connie is the best I have ever expirenced in 50 years of riding.

I hear Amzoil is the best oil for the zinc additive... but... that is old information... who knows what the Feds want deleted these days.

I have wondered for some time, we can afford a 14 to 16 thousand dollar motorcycle
and shop for the cheapest oil.
I think the manufacture designed and tested there engines with the best oil for
longevity, quietness and value. I come along and shop for a cheaper oil that I
think is better than the engineers who designed the engine. I wonder?

I have a cousin that would say doing things like buying cheaper oil is one of the reasons why we can afford such bikes. Another person I know says it matters more that there is oil in it than what brand one uses. Oil sure drives a lot of conversation though.

I have wondered for some time, we can afford a 14 to 16 thousand dollar motorcycle
and shop for the cheapest oil.
I think the manufacture designed and tested there engines with the best oil for
longevity, quietness and value. I come along and shop for a cheaper oil that I
think is better than the engineers who designed the engine. I wonder?
Less expensive doesn't equal lower quality. Manufacturers set specifications not price.

My view on oil comes from the fact that every vehicle I've owned has had 200k miles or more on it before I got rid of it with no major engine problems . I've always used Castrol products and always will .

Castrol dino oil is what I had always used till Amsoil support me in an attempt at road racing #128.
I was not any good at racing but was very impressed with there early oil products. I still use there
grease products. Now it's Mobil 1, I no longer get a discount from Amsoil. When I was having oil
analyze I saw no differance between the two sync. So Mobil 1 being readly available it won.

My view on oil comes from the fact that every vehicle I've owned has had 200k miles or more on it before I got rid of it with no major engine problems . I've always used Castrol products and always will .
I have similar results with.....the Walmart Tech stuff. I do not use in the bike though.