• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Modified Factory Backrest

bobct

Has anyone modified the factory backrest to accommodate a petite passenger? I was thinking of either relocating it or making a spacer to move the backrest towards the front of the bike by 3 or 4 inches. My SO complains that she doesn't like to sit against the backrest and hold onto the grabrails, I don't blame her . In that position we could almost fit another passenger between us, is that  legal? that could be fun LOL.  When she sits up against me she's at the start of the "ramp down" on the newer style seat. For any lengthy ride she starts pushing me slightly forward and the jewels start getting pushed against the rise of the seat at the tank  :truce:. Another thought would be to try an earlier model seat but the backrest would not be used anyways. When solo I feel comfortable in my seat and like the ability to change seating position pressure points on longer rides eg: forward against tank, midseat and back against the rise. Thanks in advance for any ideas and comments, Bob

Bob_C_CT said:
Has anyone modified the factory backrest to accommodate a petite passenger? I was thinking of either relocating it or making a spacer to move the backrest towards the front of the bike by 3 or 4 inches. My SO complains that she doesn't like to sit against the backrest and hold onto the grabrails, I don't blame her . In that position we could almost fit another passenger between us, is that  legal? that could be fun LOL.  When she sits up against me she's at the start of the "ramp down" on the newer style seat. For any lengthy ride she starts pushing me slightly forward and the jewels start getting pushed against the rise of the seat at the tank  :truce:. Another thought would be to try an earlier model seat but the backrest would not be used anyways. When solo I feel comfortable in my seat and like the ability to change seating position pressure points on longer rides eg: forward against tank, midseat and back against the rise. Thanks in advance for any ideas and comments, Bob

No, but we did it all the time back in the 60's and 70's:

2209439330053667879S600x600Q85.jpg

Dan

Hi Snarf,
This weekend went for a beach run and rolled up a blanket maybe 10" diameter and bungeed to the front of the back rest pad.
This seem to work so good she didn't want me to remove it all weekend.
I was thinking of getting a round waterproof bag to replicate this, that would be easy as far as removal and loading when needed. The other thought was adding a rectangular spacer or a small box that could also be used for storage.
It would be sweet to have an adjustable adapter for the backrest. What is your thoughts as to making it adjustable? I don't think I want to go too much higher just forward maybe 8 or so inches. The blanket had a little more give than the backrest pad does so I don't think it needs to be much more. I have to measure the actual distance needed.

By the way Dan that is a priceless photo, brought me a chuckle.

Bob

Since you have a backrest I presume that you also have the luggage rack. Do you have a trunk?
If no trunk and you do have a luggage rack I was thinking along the lines of using two linear bearings ( something likeTHK rail)
0037306-11.jpg

The slide could be mounted to the rack (either above or below).  The back rest would get mounted to the rails and use a drop pin or friction thumb screw for the adjustment. 
I really need to find a way to stop thinking about stuff ???

Before I got a good day long seat with back rest I had a back rest that cost me $5.  I ginned it up and figured if it didn't work I would toss it in the trash rather then cart it home.  It stayed on the bike for over two years.  It was made from a cheap blue foam sleep pad cut up the  center length, rolled up and the two rolls stuffed into a stuff sack.  A single bungee cord held it to the seat via the grab handles.  TO be honest it was the most comfortable thing I have ever used.

Bob_C_CT said:
By the way Dan that is a priceless photo, brought me a chuckle.

Bob

An interesting coincidence coming up related to that picture. I am in front (that is my 1969 sand cast CB-750), Mark is behind me and Jerry is bringing up the rear.

Mark now lives in Switzerland and is coming over for a visit and staying at Jerry's house the week after Labor Day. Mark is going to rent/borrow a motorcycle and I am going to ride up to Jerry's so we can all ride together again. I haven't seen Mark for at least 7 years, maybe more.

Pretty cool.

Dan