• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Moonshine Lunch Run 2014

IronButtAl

Registration is now open for the 2014 Moonshine Lunch Run, to be held on 4/11/14 - 4/13/14 in Moonshine , IL. Come see 2,000 LD riders come together as one happy family. This is a gastronomical delight also. I'm camping at the farm. It's free save for a small donation if you feel compelled, good nightly fire, and I met and made friends with a COG members there last year in the name of Rick Davis ( Rasmith ) from KS, and I hear he will be back this year again.

http://moonshine-run.com/Moonshine/

This looks like a fun event and would be an easy ride from home, here's my question as a newbie, what kind of actual riding is done? Everything I read is about the food and the people which sounds great but I'm wondering what the riding is like?
Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

Well, this is more of a social event than anything. Not that you can't do some riding, but it is in IL after all. Road quality is good, but there's not much in the way of "great" riding IMO. Maybe someone else can correct me on that, as this is usually worked in while I'm out on a long one, and just coming from some really good riding. It's a good time, you get to see a lot of bikes and meet a lot of riders from all over. And yes, the cheeseburgers are as good as it gets. It will be something different than you've done before, and a little hard to explain the whole attraction if you aren't a LD rider. Another consideration. The weather hasn't always been the best the last three years, but that's part of distance riding also.

Al & Randy,

This is on my Radar as well. Let me know what your plans are, like when you plan to leave and/or arrive. Looks like it is 550 miles / 8.5 hours for me. Looks like things start a 12n on Friday. If I go, I'll plan on camping with you Al at the farm.

I'll take Friday off from work but don't really want to take Thursday off. My current thinking is to leave on Thursday afternoon and stay in a hotel some where up around Clarksville, TN, then roll in on Friday for the 12n lunch.

Kurt

Loose scheduling at this point (my M.O.), but I am looking at rolling north Thursday and making several 'bonus point' stops along the way. Goal is to arrive before noon on Friday for lunch. Planning on camping at the farm Friday and Saturday with a Sunday departure.

IronButtAl said:
Well, this is more of a social event than anything. Not that you can't do some riding, but it is in IL after all. Road quality is good, but there's not much in the way of "great" riding IMO.

I stopped in there on the way to Minnesota a few years ago.  You can see your dog run away for a few hours the roads are so straight  :D and it is definitely in the middle of nowhere.  Wish I could go, but holding vacation for the National

Went ahead and registered for this event. There is still a chance that I might not go but I'll know as it gets closer.

I reserved a room in Clarksville, TN for Thursday night so, Randy and/or AL, if you need a place to stay, let me know. Plan to roll in Friday for the lunch and camp at the farm. Saw in the NC section that someone has a room in Casey, so I'd be willing to throw $ in to take a shower.

Kurt

MotoCommuter said:
Went ahead and registered for this event. There is still a chance that I might not go but I'll know as it gets closer.

I reserved a room in Clarksville, TN for Thursday night so, Randy and/or AL, if you need a place to stay, let me know. Plan to roll in Friday for the lunch and camp at the farm. Saw in the NC section that someone has a room in Casey, so I'd be willing to through $ in to take a shower.

Kurt

I might be interested in that Kurt. I will be rolling right by there and have a rough plan that is bonus aggressive for the Big Money Rally I am running in. Clarksville would be a good layover.

More to follow.

Randy

Randy & Kurt, can you send me your cell phone numbers? Mine is
352 201 6189. I plan on being on the road on Monday, 4/7, go to Chicago, and drop back down to the rally on Friday....but you never know how things work out. This years weather gives me pause for that plan. I'll be laying over at least Sunday, and maybe Monday, to burn a little time for my arrival at an AR rally the following week at Cliff's place. No plans for the week of 4/14-4/21, but something will turn up, and I'm not going home.

Al,

Mine is 850-832-2604. I am rolling out Wednesday afternoon up through Alabama hitting a few Rally bonuses to Huntsville with the following day ending up in Clarksville with Kurt. IIRC, we are rolling into Moonshine ~noon-ish for a burger. Camping at the farm.

Weather dependent, I am planning on rolling out from Moonshine through St Louis for a quick family visit before meandering south to the Gulf Coast.

Randy 

Work has pushed me back a day. NOW I am leaving Thursday at noon-ish. This working shite is for the birds. If it wasn't for the money...

Might still make the rendezvous at Clarksville.

Al & Randy,

Heading up to Clarksville on Thursday, swinging by George ****el to pick up some Barrel Select to share around the fire. Heading out on Friday with Randy to arrive for lunch and camping at the farm. Heading home on Sunday.

My number is: 678 362 5550

I thought I was the real Clem? Confusion reigned at the Moonshine! Great time meeting up and hanging with you all, look forward to reading about your future exploits!

Don, Jim & Mike, It was great to meet you guys. Enjoyed hanging and talking with you all.

I'm sure we will meet again at another function.

Kurt