• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

MotoGP lean angles - BUSTED!

jimp

Sport Tourer
We've all been amazed by the increasing lean angles that MotoGP bikes are achieivng, up to 64 degrees. And before todays race at Aragon there was a tech piece explaing how these incredible lean angles are being achieved do to improvements in tire technology and compounds. Butt....  they used a graphic over a still image of Lorenzo going around a right hander that basically busted this increasing lean angles story.

The graphic clearly showed that while Jorge's body was at 64 degrees, the bike never exceeded 50 degrees, which according to other info provided in their graphics, is about the same as what street going sport bikes are capable of. So while the riders are hanging off more, the bikes are not being leaned over to 64 degrees.

I wonder if the MotoGP program directors realize they just did a Mythbusters episode?

I'll continue to be stunned and impressed none the less.

I saw that too but didn't pick up on the discrepancy between bike and rider lean angles. I did notice, during the race when they had the real-time lean angle graphics up, that none of them ever seemed to go above 56-57 degrees. Impressive, to be sure, but not quite at the 64 degrees talked about in the story.