• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Motorcycle Chill

connie_rider

Not sure where to post this. Came across a chart of the air temp vs chill when riding a motorcycle. Thought others would be interested.
We rode Arkansas last weekend and the temps got down to about 42*.
To many I know that's not very cold, but to us from South Texas (and after a summer or 100++) it was cold to us.
Loved it!!!

Ride safe, Ted

1697133563934.png

Thanks, never saw a chart but knew it was cold sometimes, now, throw rain into the mix and see what happens.

I have heated gear but unless I'm going over 20 miles on a ride, it's just too much time to hook it all up after getting it all on.

I kick myself for waiting so long to buy heated gear ... for me it's grip warmers and a vest. All those years of shivering in the seat... Could of should of ... would have.

I kick myself for waiting so long to buy heated gear ... for me it's grip warmers and a vest. All those years of shivering in the seat... Could of should of ... would have.
Someone was selling some heated clothing a couple days ago... check the classifieds, never to late to be comfy warm..

When I got home Sunday night it was 50, they say "feels like" temp was 46. Drizzling rain. Running 80mph. I didn't know I was cold until I got home. I should've put on my frogtog overcoat.

The wind chill chart may be right, but there's another factor to consider: wind infiltration!
What I mean is making sure that you are sealed up from air getting past your clothing.
Tuesday morning it was 43 and I had not tucked in my neck gaiter properly and air was going down my chest; it was COLD! I closed up the bike and it made a huge difference.
Button yourself up week to stay warm.

Reactions: Bud
I can do cold . I can do wet. Hate cold AND wet. C-10 is the best cold weather bike but a Goldwing is pretty good too.

Balaclava, close off the vents in the helmet, gloves with gaiters, tighten pants around boots, think about the time stuck in traffic in Crossville TN and it was sunny and 95F:)

Someone was selling some heated clothing a couple days ago... check the classifieds, never to late to be comfy warm..
That's me. It's getting chilly outside, now's the time to get a like new heated jacket and accessories. Check it out in the classifieds.

My Frogg Toggs are GREAT as an additional windproof layer. Couple of times I've been caught in temperatures that were cooler than I expected and they greatly help.
Ron, I agree - cold+wet=misery.

I don't take much stock in those charts.
Agreed ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

That wind chill chart is just a regular wind chill chart* renamed with the word "Motorcycle" on it. Which is probably appropriate considering the site is a biker site. That is to say the temps are based on bare skin exposure, you know like when you can't ride unless your arm tats are on display for all to see. For most of us it would only apply to places in between our collars and helmet and between gloves and jacket sleeves, open face helmet not behind a windshield, etc.
Even then the bike and windshield would help reduce the air flow a bit...so chart is essentially useless for accuracy.

However, at this time of year and in the near future when you are asked for gift suggestions🎅.....give them links to heated gear sellers and perhaps mention the size you want....for others with less money to spend suggest a power port, or a coiled power cord, so you'll have a place/way to plug in your gear even if you end up buying it yourself after the holiday. :unsure: ;)

Anything heated will help, but my personal preference for C14 would be a jacket with heat in the sleeves as well as the torso. I almost always ride with a tank bag so my torso gets little wind exposure but my arms are out in the wind pretty much. That's why I opted for full heated jacket over the heated vest. Using winter gloves that are thinner on the palms, I find that the heated grips are enough, but I carry some heated glove liners just in case 'cause they are easy to pack and occasionally loan out to a fellow rider that is having trouble with his heated gloves or doesn't have any.
Although it might not be for everybody (another battery to worry about on a trip and a spare to pack) I like having the remote temp control mounted on top of the clutch reservoir instead of having to reach down to a controller located somewhere on, or dangling from the jacket. I think this is an option you can add at a later date for most gear and you can decide later if it is desirable for you.
Stay warm my friends! 🥵 (Unless of course, you feel it's important that the world sees your tats. 💪 )

* Calculates wind speed at an average height of 5 feet, the typical height of an adult human face, based on readings from the national standard height of 33 feet, which is the typical height of an anemometer
Is based on a human face model
Incorporates heat transfer theory based on heat loss from the body to its surroundings, during cold and breezy/windy days
Lowers the calm wind threshold to 3 mph
Uses a consistent standard for skin tissue resistance
Assumes no impact from the sun, i.e., clear night sky.

Heated seat will save you money on heated gear and the hassle of putting it on.

Marty you have way to many switches and chit on your bike already. :rolleyes:

nuff said
1) If only my bony bottom was the part that got cold.
2) You are not the first to mention that. :LOL: What can I say except I'm trying to be this guy. o_O

We talked about cold, then rain and cold, but I've been in 70F and rain, and it can be cold, so, yes, 50F is cold but then again so is 70F🥶

Reactions: Bud
I’ve ridden up in New England when it was truly cold. Used an electric vest but find it gets too hot.
Now in Western NC, I get by with the fairing extenders and gloves with silver thread liners. C-10 is the best for warmth down here at least. Don’t miss the cold of up north.
At least I don’t have to dress like this anymore just to walk outside. 🤪
2C710CEE-9B71-4158-A05D-D4DC19C099C5.jpeg

This spring I picked up heated gloves and 2 jacket liners. One for me and one for my wife. I got them from Cycle Gear. They each came with power leads that let me set up all 3 bikes I might use them on. We added a SAE to liner adapter for my wife to connect to the battery tender harness to power hers. Yes I have to plug in and turn on at 3 points, but I am putting on gear anyway. Liner connects to the bike and gloves connect to the liner at the end of the sleeve. On the C-10 I don't have to turn it on until it's in the 40's. We both use just the liners and rain gear leaving the White Mountain ride with Temps in low 50's and rain this June.