• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Motorcycle Survey Reveals Riders’ Top 5 Pet Peeves

#1 Camping in the fast lane
#2 Texting
#3 Trucks that just pull into left lane
#4 Un Tarped Trucks
#5 People who cut in line

ConcoursKZ said:
#2 Texting
#4 Un Tarped Trucks

I only have 1

Anyone/everyone that gets in my way or won't get out of it!! I would be such a happy person if you all would just stay outta my way!  :)) :)) :))

Matt

+1^^^^ Matt,
                      Same way even in the cage, only a little more reckless.

Matt is cool :great: :great: :great: (Everybody knows that)

Coming up on a group of cruiser-type riders going 35 to 45 mph for mile after mile on a crooked, twisty highway, no where to pass, and having POed drivers in cars backed up behind me.  Feels like being meat in a sandwich!

Dump trucks or dump trucks pulling trailers that bombard your bike with bouncing stones. :mad:

Undertaker said:
Coming up on a group of cruiser-type riders going 35 to 45 mph for mile after mile on a crooked, twisty highway, no where to pass, and having POed drivers in cars backed up behind me.  Feels like being meat in a sandwich!

Went on a ride on Hwy 49 here in NorCal last month.  One of the guys in our group wouldn't go over 55 on the straights and I swear I could walk faster than he rode in the turns.  My other buddy and I (Me on the C-10, he was on a ZX6) were loping in 2nd and 3rd gear.  Some rockets came up on us and we moved over left and let them get by.  I just kept thinking how much more fun I'd be having if I was riding with them. 

Anything that blocks my view of the road.  And slow people. And anyone texting or talking on a cell phone.  And deer. And cops, and lots of other things..... ;)

All the obvious dangerous stuff like tailgating and not checking before changing lanes. But as far as peeves go (defined as something annoying but not necessarily dangerous), my biggest one is what I call "creepers". These are people that stop a car length or two back from the next car at a stop light, then slowly creep up as they wait. I see this all the fricking time here in Minnesota. Drives me nuts because as the gap widens between me and them I feel like I have to creep up and close it or the people behind me will be getting pissed at me for not moving up. This is no fun when you have a manual transmission. Another peeve is when people drive down the road for mile after mile with their blinker on. You never know if it's safe to pass them.  :mad: :mad:

Undertaker said:

I pass them first opportunity. If they can catch up I have new people to ride with, if they can't it's like they where never there.

LouSpag

4Bikes said:
Dump trucks or dump trucks pulling trailers that bombard your bike with bouncing stones. :mad:

That would fall under Pet Peeve #4.
Very common thing up here. A new mining process they are doing in the area uses old overburden and "reclaims" ore out of it. This stuff has been at old mine sites for decades and no more rail lines around them, so its trucked from the old dump site to the mini plants. Red ore covers the roads, and while the hauler trucks are tarped, there is plenty of loose rock all over the frames and trailer undercarriage. It's a real mess when it rains, until it gets washed off the pavement. It puts a nasty coating of rusty looking road grime all over the hard parts to clean under the bike.

Deer are my biggest concern. Any time of the day, but mostly toward evening.

mattchewn said:
ConcoursKZ said:
#2 Texting
#4 Un Tarped Trucks

I only have 1

Anyone/everyone that gets in my way or won't get out of it!! I would be such a happy person if you all would just stay outta my way!  :)) :)) :))

Matt

Exactly.
More of a peeve of mine in the car than on the bike. Especially in the winter. You would think that people that grew up in the great white north would know how to drive in snow/on ice. No. Mostly not. Generally two types of winter drivers. 1) Either they have no clue and drive just like its bare pavement until they are in the ditch/woods or 2) they drive at a brisk walking speed whenever I come up behind them.

JimH_PA said:
  How about the cages that follow too close!

Hi,
        If you ride with Steve J,  and can keep up..... You won't have that problem! ;D ;D ;D

Attachments

• ggggggggg.jpg
    ggggggggg.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 147
4Bikes said:

Agreed.  In fact any type of truck including pickups are to be avoided unless you want crap thrown at you.

seagiant1 said:
JimH_PA said:
  How about the cages that follow too close!

Hi,
        If you ride with Steve J,  and can keep up..... You won't have that problem! ;D ;D ;D

I was thinking the same thing, Steve!  :great:

Their "peeve lists" are separated into rider to rider, and rider to other vehicles.  My own pet peeve for riders are foot draggers.  The guys who, when riding slowly, have their feet down sliding along the ground like a pair of training wheels.  Dangling your feet increases your instability and actually makes you more susceptible to an "incident".  Besides, it looks like you don't know how to ride.  I used an online website to make a tee shirt that I have given to several of my like minded riding partners.  If it convinces even one rider to keep their feet up on the pegs where they belong, it will have done its job.

PS:  I wasn't picking on chopper riders; it was the only decent profile image I could find on line.  I added the feet down.

Seal coated roads covered with pea gravel.  :-\  I've crashed once going into a parking lot that was like that.  Almost crashed this morning turning onto a road in that condition.  Slid sideways a bit.  Luckily I saw it before I hit it this time.

People that can't figure out how to ride properly in a staggered formation, then pass you in your lane when you aren't expecting it.

Love the T-shirt Solomookie.

One of the guys in our group wouldn't go over 55 on the straights and I swear I could walk faster than he rode in the turns. 

On our group rides it's understood everyone goes at their own speed.  The fast ones wait for the slow ones at any route changes.  No problem.

Matt, please don't let us aggravate you and hold you back. Please post your riding plans so we can stay out of the way.
:motonoises:

Jorge

Jorge,
I'll be sure to let you know. I will be racing  sedately riding around Staunton Va this weekend.  :great:

Matt

One of the guys in our group wouldn't go over 55 on the straights and I swear I could walk faster than he rode in the turns. 

On our group rides it's understood everyone goes at their own speed.  The fast ones wait for the slow ones at any route changes.  No problem.
[/quote]

It was his first time riding with us. I think if we would have done it this way, we could have all detailed our bikes at the route change waiting for him... Lol. We all start somewhere though.

Thanks Matt. I will be vicariously riding through you as I won't get my ride for at least another week.
Enjoy!

5. Dead Reds
4. Stupid loud pipes
3. Unsecured loads (this one happened today)
3. (tie) Deep tinted front door windows
2. Tailgaters

and the Number One pet peeve....

GET OFF THE DAMN PHONE!!!!  :38:

E in NorCal said:

It was his first time riding with us. I think if we would have done it this way, we could have all detailed our bikes at the route change waiting for him... Lol. We all start somewhere though.
[/quote]

If someone wouldn't go over 55 then there was no meeting or talk before the ride started.
One guy in the group shouldn't have had control of the whole group IMO. If that guy wasn't ready or able to ride faster
then he shouldn't have been in the group.  He needed more time and experience before he should be allowed to ride with a group that
expected to ride faster because they had the experience to do so and were willing to take that risk.  Again IMO.

One of my pet peeves besides ones already mentioned above, is riding through small towns with not enough plate glass in their main street buildings so I can look over and see myself on my bike and how cool I look on it!    :-[

ACISROC said:
One of my pet peeves besides ones already mentioned above, is riding through small towns with not enough plate glass in their main street buildings so I can look over and see myself on my bike and how cool I look on it!    :-[

If the bike goes where you look, I wouldn't be looking in windows  ;D

Thud300 said:
ACISROC said:

If the bike goes where you look, I wouldn't be looking in windows  ;D

I only do it while texting with my left hand so it pretty much doesn't matter  ;D

The one rider to rider thing I would add; the fair-weather rider whom I don't know, that thinks it's okay to ride along side of me at highway speeds.  Talk about space invaders!

I have a new pet peeve, as this has happened to me several times this summer, and it did again yesterday.

When coming into an area doing road work, and having to follow a "pilot vehicle" surely the DOT and contractors can consider that motorcycles need to move along at better than 5-10 mph. (I clocked it yesterday on my speedo, needle barely moved following a teenage female in the pilot vehicle, who had to stop and talk to the flagman for 10 minutes before proceding to lead the line of cars. I was really enjoying it,  setting there in 88 degrees heat with full riding gear on).  Waved at many riders in the on-coming waiting line who were standing by their bikes with helmets off, having a jolly time taking in the sun too!!!

Clutching, drifting, weaving, to keep balance really sucks for a mile or two when following a "pilot vehicle."

Would 15-20 mph be unsafe???  Let's give it a try for the sake of motorcycle riders!!!