• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Motorcycle Training for Buckeye COGers - Ohio to adopt Idaho STAR curriculum

tlr-boise

Ohio to Adopt STAR Curriculum

The Idaho STAR curriculum has stood out nationally as one of the top motorcycle training offerings in the United States for many years. Ohio will be adopting our curriculum in 2017. Here’s a short snippet about the move from the Motorcycle Riders Foundation, May/June 2016 publication:

Motorcycle Ohio Rider Enhancement

Motorcycle Ohio (MO) has elected to change our curriculum source and bring our motorcycle training program in-house. Starting January, 2017 our program (MORE) will be based on the Idaho STAR materials and NHTSA Model National Standards for State Motorcycle Rider Training Programs. MO will control content, delivery, instructor certification and future development. These materials will also form the basis for our upper level courses. MORE will be the only curriculum approved for motorcycle endorsement in Ohio.

The Idaho STAR Motorcycle Safety Program is an Idaho Division of Professional-Technical Education program and operates through the college of Southern Idaho in Twin Falls. Idaho STAR's Basic I (one) curriculum is recognized by the SMSA as meeting the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Model National Standards for Entry-Level Rider Training.

In 2005 Idaho STAR Program ranked second (nationally) for Promising Practices in Rider Education and Licensing in a research project sponsored by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA). Idaho received the 2012 Outstanding State Award from the National Association of State Motorcycle Safety Administrators (SMSA) recognizing successful, effective, measurable best practice strategies. In 2014 Idaho STAR's Basic I curriculum was recognized by the SMSA as meeting the NHTSA Model National Standards for Entry-Level Rider Training.

I know some people get anxious when there are changes, but I want to remind you as MO training professionals, how well you are equipped to handle new challenges. Your initial training and especially the ongoing training over the last several years, has been focused on the understanding and versatility in teaching methodology. The classroom content is similar and even though some range exercises are different, many will be familiar to you. For 2016 we will continue with our current curricula. MO is in the process of converting the Idaho STAR classroom and range material over for our use. I will get back to you soon with the roll-out process and training schedule. If you have questions, feel free to call.

Chuck Stiteler

State Program Coordinator

Ohio Department of Public Safety

Motorcycle Ohio

Very interesting. What in the new program caused the state to change? California changed somewhat because of politics but the Star program was deemed to be superior to what the Golden State had in place. And new riders paid more for their endorsement.

Hi Diz.

Beats me.  All I know is what's in this letter.

MSF and Idaho STAR curriculum is similar, of course.  Both beginner courses are in marked parking lots.  Advanced courses too.  As I understand it, it's a question of different emphasis and teaching some different techniques.  Also, maybe the STAR program has a feedback loop for measuring results?  Don't know.

As I understand it, MSF management wasn't giving the time of day to California Highway Patrol;  Not cooperating or something, and CHP got fed up, and told MSF to take a hike.  And then hired a couple or some of our Idaho program managers to temporarily move to Cali to set up a program like we have here.  I heard it's a two-year effort to change over.

Not at all sure why Ohio made the change, but the STAR program is a good one.