• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Motorhome driver causes collision

Bob Young

Scooter
Taken from the Siskiyou Daily News, 4/22/09, siskiyoudaily.com. I-5 corridor, 22 miles south of Oregon border. 4/21/09 '08 KLR 650 rider north bound on I-5; following several hundred feet behind motorhome in #2 lane (slow lane); motorhome moving slower than other traffic, so KLR rider moves to #1 lane (fast lane) to overtake and pass motorhome; motorhome makes u-turn in front of KLR rider to cross concrete pad in center divider to head south again; KLR rider can't sto , so lays the bike down and strikes the rear wheel of the motorhome and ends up on the concrete pad in the divider. The motorhome completes the u-turn and continues south to the next off ramp, where witnesses advise the motorhome driver to return to the accident scene. The motorhome driver says he wasn't aware of any accident! The 30 year old, married, father of three is airlifted to UC Davis for treatment. The riding season is just starting for some of us. I sure hope this isn't repeated very often....ever! There sure seems to be a rash of other road users un-aware of motorcyclists. Bob Young State of Jefferson COG #5753 C-10 A-1
2701633830102771270tJPeZY_th.jpg
2013969990102771270YCqvde_th.jpg

Not good. :( we lost a couple riders around town last year due to cars pulling to the right shoulder looking like they are stopping and then whipping a u turn right in front of oncoming bikes. Never assume. Sounds like this guy needs a clue though. What an ask ho move for anyone to pull anytime. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

This is just a gross violation of the law. Crossing the concrete median to do a U-turn? There should be a felony prosecution for something like this that results in injury.

Update from local PD dispatcher. KLR rider was an off duty CHP officer; still in Sacramento hospital (UC Davis); no citation for motorhome driver as yet. Be careful out there, Bob Young State of Jefferson COG #5753 C-10 A-1
2701633830102771270tJPeZY_th.jpg
2013969990102771270YCqvde_th.jpg

Now there'll be political thinking involved. So he is an LEO, so what? All that means to me is that he's better trained than the average Joe which makes this whole maneuver that much more dangerous. I'll say a prayer for both of them, swift and full healing for the officer, wisdom and introspection for the RV driver. Though I still think a few years of state hospitality would give him ample time for such reflection.

(my professional opinion:) It is likely that the LEO was following too closely, but he will not get a ticket (because he is a LEO). The insurance company will resolve it against him. Lesson: Do not drive closer than you would if in a car. Stopping distance is actually increased for connie's tires and safe 'out' options are few to none when too close! Now... how would I know that? ugh!

Seems like stupid stuff like this is happening more frequently than it used to. The skill of the average driver seems to be going down. Had a couple of dumb things happen to me today and neither driver even seemed to care if they were even aware of what they were doing.

How can you be following to closely if you are passing in the other lane? That is just nonsense. - on the trailing edge of technology

I see what Tom is saying but I think he's misreading the story. The RV executed the turn from the right lane while the KLR was attempting to pass in the left lane. The RV then just turned left in front of him blocking both lanes to do a U-turn across a concrete median. The KLR rider had no idea a U-turn was coming since there was a median. Who would imagine the RV was going to do something that stupid? I wouldn't, which makes the story all the scarier.

Years ago the wife and I were nearly wiped out buy a motor home on the Old Santiam Pass in Oregon. a very narrow crooked mountain road. It is clearly marked at both ends with NO OVER-SIZED VEHICLES ALLOWED signs on both ends. Came around a corner to find the motor home with his front bumper brushing the guard rail and the rear end taking up the rest of the road. Managed to put it in the ditch against a rock wall and slipped through. Still don't know how I kept from dumping it. ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife Why is it that for evey 1 "making Bacon" there are 20 people eating the fat?