• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Mounted the PR3 tires

Cap'n Bob

OK, now that the Michelin Pilot Road 3's have come out and I heard some decent feedback on them. I decided to try them now that my Angels have 6K on them and I need to make a trip to the NE spring fling. It's no secret to older forum members, that I didn't have a good experience with the Michelin PR2 tires. But even though my PR2's were not very good IMO, I decided to try the newer version of the Pilot Road series tires.
The first thing I noticed about them is that like the PR2, they have a good looking tread pattern (IMO). Even though it was cold and raining (which killed my preheating in the sun ritual). The tires mounted fairly easy, with little difficulty. The "E" model rear Pirelli Angel that I was removing, was almost as hard to get off as it was to get on last year. So if I were to buy Angels, I'd stay with the lighter less expensive model, that mount much easier! Although the rear tire with the extra belt didn't get a flat. So who's to say whether the extra belt the "E" model actually prevented anything?
The PR3's like the PR2's do not come with a ballance mark. I do not know if this is good on Michelin's part or not. The Angel's I removed both took 1/2 once of weight to ballance. In my experience with Pirelli, they never seem to take much weight to ballance the tire. They also use the tire valve mark. About half the time, the Pirelli's didn't require any weight (which is nice) and I really like. But a little weight isn't a big deal.
The PR3's took quite a bit more weight to ballance the tires. The front coming in at 1 once. The rear tire took 1 1/2 once. Not drastic, but more than I normally would have had to use with Pirelli's.
Anyway with the new sneakers mounted on the bike and it already being dirty from Saturday's riding in the wet. I decided what better way to try out these new tires that are billed at being better in the wet than the PR2. The PR2 was a pretty good tire in the wet. In the same ball park with the Angel ST in the wet. Although I do not ride aggressive at all in the rain. So I will not comment on their peg dragging ability in the wet. This guy will not even attempt that!  :D
So since it was a pretty heavy rain day. I decided the 10-20 miles would suffice for a test of these new tires to see if they are as good in the wet as billed. My opinion is this. Although I didn't ride that far. I felt I got a pretty good feel for these tires in the wet. And keep in mind, this is on totally brand new tires, with no break in time.
I think these PR3's are probably the best wet weather tires I have ridden on! They ride well on wet roads and feel like they have excellent wet weather grip. The PR2's and Angels were both excellent in the wet. I feel that these are better in the wet. Granted most oils have probably been washed off the road in the last 48 hours. But even still, the tires never slipped once. And I rode like I would have on tires that were not brand new. The PR3's never gave me the feeling of sliding at all in the wet. But like I said, I don't try to drag pegs in the wet either.
It's a good thing I put these tires on. Since this weekend in Wellsboro, PA always seems to rain on us! So I should be all set should the skies open up on us again. Now what I need is some nice dry weather to evaluate how they will be in the dry. This is the part where I am now really interested in. Since this is where my PR2's were less than stellar. I hoping than these PR3's will make amends for the PR2's and perform in the dry well enough to make these tires a really good all around package. I guess we'll see!

I really like the look of the rear ... not sure how i like the look of the front.
maybe it will grow on me ... Not that looks are the important part.

I just put on a new rear tire.  Previous tire was a PR2.  When I ordered the tire, dealer said nationwide back order on the standard size 190/50, but the 190/55 was readily available so they suggested I go with that which I did.  Will reinstall wheel on bike tonite.

Well I got to run them in both the wet and dry at the NE spring fling in Wellsboro, PA this weekend. So far I still think that these are the best wet tires I've used on the Sport tours. In the dry my impression so far is that they are pretty good. They have adequate grip and have not experienced any of the short comings of the PR2. Although they do not seem to roll into a corner, or give you the grip and confidence that the Pirelli Angel ST does. But they are still very good.
So far I like these tires in all aspects. IMO, they are not the best tire at everything. But they are the best tires in the wet, and do everything well so far! I have to wait and see how they perform as they get more miles on them. That will determine whether or not I would choose to use them again over the Angel or other brand. The questions like, will they last as long as the PR2? Will they flatten out and/or lose the feel as the wear? Only time will tell. But so far were off to a good start.

Thanks for the writeup!  My PR2's have about 4k on them now, so I figure in another month or so I'll be ready for some new rubber and maybe will give these a whirl.

So far my PR2's have been ok,  , but on some of the wellsboro runs I felt like I wasn't confident in corners (Some of that is the rider) but given what you experienced with the PR2's I wonder if it's partly the tire given what you have experienced... (never had that feeling when they were new)

Still, eager to hear how these hold up over time

Just mounted up a set of PR3's yesterday, I went with the 190 55 17 rear, all I can say is WOW!  The RP3's really feel great, the bike has never turned so easy, almost no effort is required to start a turn. It feels like it has power steering. I know my old RP2's where on the flat side and cupped, but now it feels like a different bike. I just love these tires.

Yeah, my one set of PR2's didn't impress me. So far i like these Pr3's a lot. I have somewhere between 1,000 and 1,500 miles on them so far. And I'm happy with them. It's the down the road wear and handling the will be the true test for me!

Finally...They are mounted! Didn't realize how bad the OEMs were, until today.

All I can say right now is WOW. I love the way a bike handles with new tires. Once I get them scrubbed in I'll post a better review sort of thing.

They are kinda freaky looking...

Wayne_Sikorski_NJ said:
Finally...They are mounted! Didn't realize how bad the OEMs were, until today.

All I can say right now is WOW. I love the way a bike handles with new tires. Once I get them scrubbed in I'll post a better review sort of thing.

They are kinda freaky looking...

It's amazing how bad you realize the old worn out 021's are once you put good tires on. The bad part is it's pretty much the same when the 021's are not worn out and you replace them!  :))

hahahaha
  if mine can ride and handle better than it does now i will be stoked.
i think it is awesome now ... but then again i am coming off a 2002 Nighthawk 750.

Wow, just WOW! So that's what real tires feel like... :great:

Finally got out for an extended ride on the new PR3s. The only thing that I missed about the old bike, DL1000, was how well it handled compared to the C14. The BT-021s really did suck, even when new. :eek: Effortless turning now and it handles like it's on rails.

I need to bump up the pressure 3 pounds or so as the service guy only put in 39 psi F&R, indicated, on dash.

Guys, new to the forum.  I've had my 2010 C14ABS for 14 months and have 8700 mile on her.  Finally changed the factory BT21Us for a brand new set of PR3s  Wow, what a difference.  My question is on tire pressure.  I'm about 240-250 pounds and never carry a passanger.  What are your recommendations.  The shop only has 33F/34R in them as indicated on the dash.  Also, I think the dash is different than the gauge.  What are your experiences?  Please advise.

Chaplain Bill said:
Guys, new to the forum.  I've had my 2010 C14ABS for 14 months and have 8700 mile on her.  Finally changed the factory BT21Us for a brand new set of PR3s  Wow, what a difference.  My question is on tire pressure.  I'm about 240-250 pounds and never carry a passanger.  What are your recommendations.  The shop only has 33F/34R in them as indicated on the dash.  Also, I think the dash is different than the gauge.  What are your experiences?  Please advise.

Bill I suggest setting the cold tire pressure @ 42 PSI cold tire pressure (as per Kawasaki) with a quality tire pressure gauge. Then see how it corresponds to the dash as soon as you start riding on the cold tires right after setting it. My dash was close, but not exact. It gives you an idea where the dash reads in respect to the gauge on cold and warm tires as well. I'm surprised the TPS didn't go into warning for low pressure on you. That's right about where it should warn you of tire problems. Your dealer set the pressures way too low.

For you guys running the PR3 on the C14, it would be nice to read several tire life reports to determine the average life.  Then we will know if the hype that this tire is suppose to have the same tire life as the PR2 is true.

It's good to hear many like this tire over the OEM.  I had a similar revelation to a tire change many years ago with my C10... Someone told me that I should ditch the OEM Dunlops and try the Metzeler Z2.

I'm on my second week with the PR3's on and I'm very pleased with the way they handle! They have about 1500 miles on them now and a big improvement from the stock tires! The stock tires where so bad that I ordered a new set with only 2000 miles on the stockers.

4000 miles on the rear PR3 and it's just about gone on the left side.  The front still has 3mm of tread and looks good.

I must say, anyone thinking of new tires , get the 190 55 17. You won't believe how easy this bike turns using this profile tire. It's a different bike. I can't believe such a little change can make such a difference.

I hated the stock tires "BT" stands for "Bad Tire"!  I’ve always been a Michelin Man and have the hook up with Island Racing. David Hirsh and I went to high school together and road racing too many years. I’ve ridden on every type of tire made on the road and on track since the early 70’s. Just my $0.02 Michelin is pretty hard to beat for performance. My blue babe currently has over 3k on the PR3s and they work great in the rain and on curves. I should be ready for another set in a couple of months and will give an update on the mileage I get out this set. There is a huge difference in the cornering on these tires. I am running the 120/70 and 190/55. My motorcycle is for community from Fort Worth to Austin so the miles are racking up fast!

Mileage wise my first PR3 rear is dying at 8,700 miles.
I'll be swapping it out this weekend at 9,000 miles.
By then it will probably have hit the wear bars.

This is about the same mileage I got out of my last rear PR2 (Thailand) but not as good as I got out of the first one (10,000).
Fronts seem to last about 2 rears. When I fitted the PR3s the front PR2 was still legal,... just.
Legal minimum tread depth here is 1mm.

You may get more or less mileage depending on whether you are a hooligan or not and whether your roads are more or less abrasive.

Hi there!

I just installed a set of PR3's on my C14 and they are great! However, after I installed them, I found this thread on another forum where another rider had a really bad experience with them.  Lots of photos in these posts too...  http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/35444-michelin-pilot-road-3-here-8.html  (note: I think this link takes you to when his trouble started.... go to the beginning of the thread and you will see plenty of posts from him from the moment they were installed on his bike- He loved the tires until the problem arose - now he is pursuing legal action.)

Bottom line.... Inspect your tires before each ride - you dont want to have the type of trouble this fellow had!

ike said:
Hi there!

I just installed a set of PR3's on my C14 and they are great! However, after I installed them, I found this thread on another forum where another rider had a really bad experience with them.  Lots of photos in these posts too...  http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/35444-michelin-pilot-road-3-here-8.html  (note: I think this link takes you to when his trouble started.... go to the beginning of the thread and you will see plenty of posts from him from the moment they were installed on his bike- He loved the tires until the problem arose - now he is pursuing legal action.)

Bottom line.... Inspect your tires before each ride - you dont want to have the type of trouble this fellow had!

bs.gif

FYI, those pics are "after" he ran from the cops and they put out a spike strip...

About longevity:

I put this in another thread but since I read the post from S Smith I though I would throw the ebreviated version here.

My friend put 9300 (I misquoted him in the other post and will correct it) miles from the rear pr3 through kansas, wyoming, colorado, utah, new mexico, arizona and back.  He had no handling issues in the heat, cold or rain.  He like them well enough that I put another pr3 on the rear.  BTW he isn't a super agressive rider as he is only 35 to 40K into riding again after a 20 year absence.

Well, the front lasted 12,600 miles to the wearbars on the right side.
Left side still had about 3mm tread.
Am now on my 2nd PR3 front and although the new tyre feels good it's not a big leap from the old one.
So, I have to conclude that even when shagged out the PR3 feels pretty neutral.

Is it perfect, hell no, but as an all round tyre I think yer gonna struggle to top this in todays market.
Be interesting to see how the RoadSmart2 gets on.

For now I'm staying PR3.

Boomer said:
Well, the front lasted 12,600 miles to the wearbars on the right side.
Left side still had about 3mm tread.
Am now on my 2nd PR3 front and although the new tyre feels good it's not a big leap from the old one.
So, I have to conclude that even when shagged out the PR3 feels pretty neutral.

Good info George.  Nice to know the tire remains fairly neutral.  The OEM Bridgestone 021 when shagged out was downright despicable.

I mounted the PR3s last week and have 400 miles on them.  The stock Bridgestone’s were not worn down after 4300 miles, but the front tire was cupped badly towards the end.  Turning was usually a premeditated task determining the best speed and angle and I felt like I couldn’t hold a line.  I was just never comfortable trusting the tires.

I’m amazed how much better the bike now rides and corners with the Michelin PR3’s.  Turns are now an afterthought, since I feel like I’m on rails. No exaggeration, the tires made a HUGE difference.

I've got about 2k on my PR3s so far and I like them quite a bit.  Haven't ridden in the rain really yet.

The B spec tires are designed for heavier bikes like sport tours. They have an extra belt in the construction compared to the normal version. I tried the B spec Angel ST and found it to have a harder sidewall feel. I found it didn't give as good feedback and handling of the normal Angel. Plus it was a PITA to mount because of that harder sidewall.
To be honest, I have had little problems with flats over the years, and no problems with tires coming apart or anything like that. Although the PR2 did give me trouble with grip and handling. After being underwhelmed by the B spec version of the Angel compared to the normal Angel I've used. I personally went with the normal spec PR3. So far it has been decent. And I have no complaints.

Cap'n Bob said:
The B spec tires are designed for heavier bikes like sport tours. They have an extra belt in the construction compared to the normal version. I tried the B spec Angel ST and found it to have a harder sidewall feel. I found it didn't give as good feedback and handling of the normal Angel. Plus it was a PITA to mount because of that harder sidewall.
To be honest, I have had little problems with flats over the years, and no problems with tires coming apart or anything like that. Although the PR2 did give me trouble with grip and handling. After being underwhelmed by the B spec version of the Angel compared to the normal Angel I've used. I personally went with the normal spec PR3. So far it has been decent. And I have no complaints.
    ---  perfect thanks have a great day

The B version doesn't have an extra belt.  It merely has a sidewall stiffner added to decrease deflection of the sidewall under heavy load.  Load rating, tread depth, etc are all the same otherwise.

cablebandit said:
The B version doesn't have an extra belt.  It merely has a sidewall stiffner added to decrease deflection of the sidewall under heavy load.  Load rating, tread depth, etc are all the same otherwise.

I tried to verify this about the Michelin "B" spec , but couldn't find anything about it. Do you know where to verify this? I will say that I'm really sure that I remember researching the Pirelli Angel ST "E" spec (Pirelli is actually a "E", not a "B", my apologies). And that The Pirelli web site said that the Angel ST "E" spec tire had an extra belt. Of Course I also tried to re-verify this. Of course Pirelli has changed their web site and now doesn't list that information anymore either.  :mad:  Either way the "E" spec was too still!

Just blew through 7000 miles on my PR3s mounted on my 2011 C14. Plenty of tread left and still feels confident in the twisties. I'm in Las Vegas and rode the summer at 45psi F/R where the temps crossing the desert were consistently around 100º. Prior to my Kawi I used  Metzler ME88s on my Harleys and BMW Ks. My Kawi dealer steered me to the PR3s and I am sold. I might get 10K easily on this set and will replace them with PR3s when I finally see wear bars. There is some cupping on the rear tire but doesn't seem to effect the feedback in the curves. 1000% improvement over the Bridgestone OEMs which at 4000m felt squirrely all the time.

elektra said:
Just blew through 7000 miles on my PR3s mounted on my 2011 C14. Plenty of tread left and still feels confident in the twisties. I'm in Las Vegas and rode the summer at 45psi F/R where the temps crossing the desert were consistently around 100º. Prior to my Kawi I used  Metzler ME88s on my Harleys and BMW Ks. My Kawi dealer steered me to the PR3s and I am sold. I might get 10K easily on this set and will replace them with PR3s when I finally see wear bars. There is some cupping on the rear tire but doesn't seem to effect the feedback in the curves. 1000% improvement over the Bridgestone OEMs which at 4000m felt squirrely all the time.

Can you check your tires for a single letter stamp on them, and see if they are "E" or "B" spec tires? It would be nice to know which specification ones you are getting this good mileage and handling with.

I have 3 K on the RP#3 's and like the others love the handling. The wear looks normal and if I get close to 7 k i'm a happy camper.I use factory air settings as Florida roads are tough on tires due to the heat and black-top composition