• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Muzzy duals

helix

Tricycle
Hi Guys,
newcomer here with a 2011.

I'm considering the Muzzy duals. I like Muzzy's sound on other machines (not as loud as some) , plus you get 2 canisters....possibly quieter sound and better looks when bags are off. I recently rode with bags off and liked it!

Power commander or fuel control needed?..what is the re-flash I've read on here? Is anything necessary on this model?

anyone ever find or hear if the c14 needs fuel added with pipes?  ...does nobody know?..or just nobody interested?

I know a normal slip-on would not need a power commander.  I'm fairly certain the Muzzy's can be bolted on without needing a pc, but search these forums.  I kow some one here has added duals alreadyu.

I'm interested in adding true duals as well ... but, with Holeshot cans.  The Area Ps on my ZX14 are very loud.  Holeshot is not.  Very pleasent to ride without ear plugs.

I have a 2009 ZX14 header, too.  It has cats, but I don't think this will make any difference in performance if I use it.  Area P has a header that looks twice the size of the stock Ninja header.  But, think it gives less low end power, altho I can't remember if this is correct.  I'm considering the stock ZX14 header, Area Ps mid pipes and Holeshot cans.  Plus, work on the side and center stands.  Lot of work ... and wonder if it is worth it in power returns.  ??  Who knows.

We'll see how many posts we get to this thread.

helix said:
anyone ever find or hear if the c14 needs fuel added with pipes?  ...does nobody know?..or just nobody interested?

That's a hard question to answer because it is so broad. Most of the fuel maps I have seen for this bike are adding fuel in some cells and taking it away in others. I think the percentage where it is taking it away is usually higher, but that doesn't mean you can simply ignore the cells where it is adding fuel.

The fuel maps depend on throttle opening percentage, and RPM, and can even take the gear into account, So its hard to make an overall generalization about a map, much less one that applies to all aftermarket exhausts.

Attachments

• MapExample.JPG
    MapExample.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 101
Thanks for the input. I guess the question is a little vague,sorry.  I do realize that the cost and simplicity of slip -ons make that type more popular.

I guess my main questions are  this:

1) If this model is switched over to true dual exhaust...is it that much different in fuel flow that may cause a lean condition and harm the engine ??...or do people do it and get away with it?...or was the factory ecu too rich anyway and the pipes make it good and it is safe to do so ?

2) if efi fuel controller is necessary , is a power commander the most popular and is there a common map people share?

3) Are there any users here that have the muzzy duals? ...and if so a sound clip  or some info maybe ?...or even know of one and heard it run?
....does this bike pop and gurgle and backfire if you change pipes (it seems some do more than others)

I love my C-14 the way it is,...the duals look cool and probably sound great. I'm just looking to have some shared info on a product I'm interested in if anyone here has any . Thanks

I believe KawiMick has Muzzys on his bike, you might ask him if he has a map you could look at.

If you can find a map for the Muzzy exhast, you could have it directly flashed into your ECU instead of using a Power Commander, but it would be advisable to put the bike on a dyno afterwards and check the A/F ratio with a wideband 02 sensor.

I just looked, and there is a map for the 2010/11 on the Power Commander website for the full Muzzy system.

M17-022-003 Muzzy dual full system, Stock air filter

http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/powercommander_v.aspx?mk=8&mdl=144&yr=17-022&pcVersion=PCV&PartNum=17-022

I bought an '09 from my buddy that has the Muzzy full carbon and power commander.  Sounds great, lots of throaty grumble.  It does pop, but doesn't seem to be a problem.  Been running like this for about 25k miles.

the popping you hear is probably normal with the slip-ons. i added a two bros pipe and their juice box. it popped with out the juice box, and with it installed.

Newbie here, first post...  :beerchug:

I just got the dual Muzzys full system the other week and love it!

IMG00404-20110713-1804.jpg

IMG00390-20110713-1741.jpg

IMG00386-20110713-1735.jpg

Now, that's what I'm talking about, ZG .... looks great !!

I hope to have a set on this week as well.

Hmm, hopefully she doesn't know you posted her age to the world, or it could be a short party.  :happybirthday3:

Regardless, wish her a happy Bday from everyone in COGDOM.  :06:

the hammer said:
You have very good taste very obvious from your photo nice job, just curious as to what brand those tip over bars are?

Thanks Hammer. They're the Top Block Racing sliders, here's a link with some more pics of them...

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,26692.0.html

Hey ZG my apologys for rehashing this subject on this post but I am baffled because the photos showing top blocks sliders are round bar stock and yours seems to be square beefy stock, has any one else noticed this ?

the hammer said:
Hey ZG my apologys for rehashing this subject on this post but I am baffled because the photos showing top blocks sliders are round bar stock and yours seems to be square beefy stock, has any one else noticed this ?

The round ones you're referring to are for the 10/11 model, mine are the ones for the 08/09... different design, 08/09 ones look better IMO.

rdm197apd said:
ZG, those black wheels look nice!  8) i assume thats powder coat... ball park on the cost?

Thanks RB!

Yep, powder coated, my cost was only $60 for the set because I'm a repeat customer to him, just shocking how inexpensive powder coating is...

The guy I use has done 2 other sets for my Gixxers as well, here's a link to his shop, he does great work and always turns mine in 2 days!

http://www.jdpowdercoatings.com/

rdm197apd said:
ZG, those black wheels look nice!  8) i assume thats powder coat... ball park on the cost?

I agree. The powder coated wheels, plus the two cans really looks great. Sets the bike off nicely. Two bad Big K went with the single can instead of the ZX14 set up. That would have looked nicer.

Cap'n Bob said:
rdm197apd said:

I agree. The powder coated wheels, plus the two cans really looks great. Sets the bike off nicely. Two bad Big K went with the single can instead of the ZX14 set up. That would have looked nicer.

Thanks Cap'n, much appreciated! 

Bink said:
I bought an '09 from my buddy that has the Muzzy full carbon and power commander.  Sounds great, lots of throaty grumble.  It does pop, but doesn't seem to be a problem.  Been running like this for about 25k miles.

If you block off the air injection it won't pop. That's what I did and it totally made it go away...

Here's some more shots of my full Muzzys dual carbon-fiber setup for those of you interested...

The quality, fit, and finish of this system was done very nice by Muzzys IMO!

These pics also show how Muzzys modifies the center stand to fit as well...

IMG00406-20110713-1806.jpg

IMG00401-20110713-1750.jpg

IMG00400-20110713-1750.jpg

IMG00394-20110713-1744.jpg

IMG00397-20110713-1748.jpg

IMG00396-20110713-1747.jpg

IMG00393-20110713-1743.jpg

IMG00391-20110713-1742.jpg

IMG00388-20110713-1740.jpg

IMG00385-20110713-1735.jpg

IMG00413-20110713-1853.jpg

Really nice looking bike, ZG ... you should be proud of what you've accomplished.  I especially like the powder coated wheels.  DId so on my Wing (satin black finsih) ... makes a great statement and EZr to clean as well.

My Muzzy full 4-2-2 is "in the house" ... now, I just need to get a 'base dyno'  ... hook up the Muzzy's ... ride it couple hundred miles to see what my re-Flashed ECU does ... then dyno it again.  See what needs to be done if anything.

It NEVER stops !!  :'(

Bagger said:
Really nice looking bike, ZG ... you should be proud of what you've accomplished.  I especially like the powder coated wheels.  DId so on my Wing (satin black finsih) ... makes a great statement and EZr to clean as well.

My Muzzy full 4-2-2 is "in the house" ... now, I just need to get a 'base dyno'  ... hook up the Muzzy's ... ride it couple hundred miles to see what my re-Flashed ECU does ... then dyno it again.  See what needs to be done if anything.

It NEVER stops !!  :'(

Congrats Bagger, you'll love it!!  :beerchug:

You definitely need to post up some pics after you get it installed!!

Yeah, ZG ... I certainly will.  But, my Connie is not nearly as clean as your ride, m'frined.  I did power wash the wheels this morning, tho.  I do need to clean the bike.  I've only wiped it down a couple times in 6500 miles.  Ouch !

But, I'll post when I get the chance.  Plus, I need to get 're-acquainted' with the posting procedure, too.  :)

Bagger said:
Yeah, ZG ... I certainly will.  But, my Connie is not nearly as clean as your ride, m'frined.  I did power wash the wheels this morning, tho.  I do need to clean the bike.  I've only wiped it down a couple times in 6500 miles.  Ouch !

But, I'll post when I get the chance.  Plus, I need to get 're-acquainted' with the posting procedure, too.  :)

I can understand how that happens.  Too much riding, not enough detailing time...

If I'm on the road and at a motel, I'll take the ice bucket full of water, a bar of the complementary soap, a wash cloth, and a towel, and give the bike a nice 'reward' bath, just because.  But then mine is dark blue, w/ black wheels, so it shows after a days ride.

n/a said:
Those duals look great !.
Is it a lot louder than stock ?

Thanks NA!

Isn't anything louder than stock??
confused1.gif
smiley_dunno.gif

Actually it's not obnoxious like a 2 bro's though IMO, very nice deep sound, personally I love it but I do like to hear my bikes...  :great:

:character0029: Twobros are not obnoxious! it all depends on the right hand.  :nananana:
but seriously, i would have got the full muzzy kit if i could afford it. I have grown fond of the way the twobros sings in the high RPM range.

rdm197apd said:
:character0029: Twobros are not obnoxious! it all depends on the right hand.  :nananana:
but seriously, i would have got the full muzzy kit if i could afford it. I have grown fond of the way the twobros sings in the high RPM range.

I have a dual TwoBros setup, and I'm not sure I would call it singing.  Maybe more like a banshee screaming.  :-\

I have had it in front of several police cars, and so far none of them felt the need to chat with me about it.  Of course, I alway keep the volume control at minimum then.  ;)