• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Muzzy lowering links C14-how to cut side stand?

bartman

Bicycle
Asking for help on the side stand cut down. Just recieved my muzzy links for my 2012 c14. Does anyone have clear instructions on how best to cut down the side stand, how much, where and any pics. My search only shows c10 pics that I could find. My focus is side first then center stand if needed. Also, would be curious how many do not drop the front after installing Muzzy's links??
Thanks in advance.

I have muzzy links on my 08 and it has a alum side stand with an adjustible foot.  Dont know whos it is thou.  The tree has been lowered 3/4" with murphs risers and double wedges.  Center stand was cut and welded.  :great:

Regarding cutting the side stand, I took the stand off and brought it to a welder.  He cut off about 3/4" though in retrospect 1" would have been better.

He used a grinder to bevel both sides back so he could add a fair bit of welding stick material to give the weld more strength.  He added so much that the weld bulges, though it is not a concern to me from an aesthetic perspective.

I raised my forks slightly.  I did not cut my center stand as using a 2x4 to roll the back tire onto is a pretty easy way to get the bike onto the center stand.

I would use a 2 x 4 but I don't want to haul one with me on trips. So my centerstand is cut down 2" and it wasn't easy because the pin the spring attaches to has to be a certain distance from the pivot, and when you take 2" out of the top half (not enough room to do 2" on the bottom half) you end up with the pin "behind" the gusseting on the foot lever where it attaches.

So I had to cut a notch in the gusseting so the spring has a clear "view" of the pin, and then box it back in so that it retains the strength. Non trivial.

Thankyou MikeK for the trim amount for the side stand. These are the real "tested" numbers I was looking for.
JR I wonder if you can get 1.5 off the bottom, and would that suffice? I didn't want to mess with the spring pivot or pin points if possible? Also have either of you guys rode 2up since installing your Muzzy's?

I added the lowering links to mine as well. Talked with my neighbor about it and he had me come to his shop. He used a torch and softened the side stand and re-shaped it into an "S" shape. Looks odd, but works great. I can always go back to the original shape if I put it back to stock. As far as the temper question in your mind, Let it cool on it's own to normalize it. Add paint and you're good to go. Sorry, don't have a picture to show. Need to get on that as I've done quite a few things to mine. Hey, spell check works!

Bartman said:
Thankyou MikeK for the trim amount for the side stand. These are the real "tested" numbers I was looking for.
JR I wonder if you can get 1.5 off the bottom, and would that suffice? I didn't want to mess with the spring pivot or pin points if possible? Also have either of you guys rode 2up since installing your Muzzy's?

I want to take 2" off the center stand because a) I also lowered the front by raising fork tubes 3/4" and b) I want it to go up on the center stand easier.

2" will go up easy but be enough tension to be steady and "locked", and will have the rear tire off the ground enough.

JR said:
Bartman said:

I want to take 2" off the center stand because a) I also lowered the front by raising fork tubes 3/4" and b) I want it to go up on the center stand easier.

2" will go up easy but be enough tension to be steady and "locked", and will have the rear tire off the ground enough.

What about if you DONT RAISE THE FORKS, what would be the acceptable 'cut-off' the center stand?

Probably 1-1/2" to match the lowering links, which you can get from the bottom half, though the "feet" will be right up at the cross brace.

Bartman said:
Lizard have you had any bottoming out or issues riding 2up with the links?

None whatsoever.  Several months after I bought the Connie my wife and I Loaded (much) the bike and spent three days touring central Fla.
Had a problem with one speed bump in a hotel parking lot but that was it.  It was the first time my wife had been on a bike and she loved it.
I do like to ride fast when possible even through the corners.  Had a set of PR2's on it at the time (end of life) and the bike handled great.
New PR3's and love them.. have 1/16" left to the edge and still haven't touched any more than the feelers.

any of you folks who have lowered your bike know how to re-adjust the suspension to work well with the lowering links?

Bartman said:
Thanks Lizard appreciate the feedback
All you did was install the link??
Have you lowered the front shocks?
If so do you also have the risers and wedges??
thanks Lizard

I just installed the link...no front fork adjustments...

I just took them off after 3k with them on...I did not like the bike back on OEM height that much