• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

MY 08 DIED ON VACATION-ANYBODY ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM?

flying wasp

Bicycle
So I'm on the last leg of my trip and everything is going good. I pull into a town for lunch and when I come out my bike will turn over but not start? It would only sputter for a few nano seconds and the stop. At one point in the cranking process I got it to run real rough for about 30 seconds and it was blowing some pretty bad dark smoke out the pipe. I am puzzled,don't even know where to start? Brother made a 700 mile round trip to rescue me with a trailer. Thank god for brothers! 08 that flipped 8000 miles the morning of my break down. Any thoughts on this will be appreciated. Thanks!

08 with 8,000 miles......my guess is realllllly bad fuel.
and now a fuel pump blocked filter pad,  :'(

here's a resurection my my departed (r.i.p.) friend Davo Jones on fuelpump repairs....
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1238.0

best of luck

geeze, I felt like a slacker because I have only 30,000 miles on my 08...... :rotflmao:

If it was black smoke, coupled with the lousy running and hard starting, I would suspect either a stuck injector (making one cylinder FAR too rich) or something wrong with the injector opening circuit in the ECU (making all the cylinders FAR too rich). Neither one of those is common on this bike (or any other vehicle that I am aware of) but does happen occasionally to anything that has injectors instead of carburetors.

Brian

flying wasp said:
So I'm on the last leg of my trip and everything is going good. I pull into a town for lunch and when I come out my bike will turn over but not start? It would only sputter for a few nano seconds and the stop. At one point in the cranking process I got it to run real rough for about 30 seconds and it was blowing some pretty bad dark smoke out the pipe. I am puzzled,don't even know where to start? Brother made a 700 mile round trip to rescue me with a trailer. Thank god for brothers! 08 that flipped 8000 miles the morning of my break down. Any thoughts on this will be appreciated. Thanks!

Bad fuel was a thought, however I rode about 100 miles on the last fillup? It was shell 93 octane. Way up in Northern MI is probably not the greatest place for premium gas (I'm sure not many are using it?) but wouldn't I have noticed performance loss during that 100 miles? I was running flawlessly passing campers and trucks like they were chained to the guard rails. 

FJR injectors have been thought to possibly dribble fuel after a shutdown and it takes WOT cranking for awhile to get the bitch started.
FWIW, my year old DL650 has taken a fit a couple times but finally started after WOT cranking.
Hopefully it ends up being a relatively benign problem for you.

It's going to be tough to try to troubleshoot this problem over the internet. If the bike is still under warranty, I'd recommend taking it to the dealership and letting them find and fix the problem. Just be sure to come back and post what they found.

Bad gas is a good first guess, and the prevalence of Ethanol (E10) gas, has greatly increased the reports of fuel related problems (from moisture in the fuel) with cars and bikes all over the US.

When we say "bad fuel" do we refer to old,watered down fuel or dirty fuel with paticles clogging things up? I did type the VIN# in the Kawasaki website and the bike is covered till 11/24/11,so long as the warranty follows the bike. I bought it used in May. I don't think warranty will cover anything related to "bad fuel". Is there anything I can do to rule it out? Should I siphon out the old and put in some fresh and se if she fires before taking it to the dealer?

Thanks

flying wasp said:
Is there anything I can do to rule it out? Should I siphon out the old and put in some fresh and se if she fires before taking it to the dealer?

Thanks

That would probably be a good idea. And if you can find a clear glass container to siphon it into, then that would help asses the quality of the fuel. If it does have water in it and the ethanol and water have phase separated, the water/ethanol will sink to the very bottom of the tank.

I siphoned out the fuel that was in it at breakdown and filled a large pickle jar with fuel and let it set, no separation. I added new fuel and still a no start bike. It's on the trailer heading for the dealer today after work.  :'(

I'm sure the will get it sorted out in short order. Just be sure to come back and let us know what they found. This may help the next person that has a similar problem, and will give us all a heads up on what to watch out for.

flying wasp said:
When we say "bad fuel" do we refer to old,watered down fuel or dirty fuel with paticles clogging things up? I did type the VIN# in the Kawasaki website and the bike is covered till 11/24/11,so long as the warranty follows the bike. I bought it used in May. I don't think warranty will cover anything related to "bad fuel". Is there anything I can do to rule it out? Should I siphon out the old and put in some fresh and se if she fires before taking it to the dealer?

Thanks

posted this in your warrantee thread also...
might want to get this before yours expires, after it's out, you can't extend...
best spent $339 you will ever see.....
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,27046.0.html

best of luck.

Check for obstruction to the air intake snorkels. Jeez, you just stopped for lunch and now the bike does not want to run. The description sounds like rich mixture, and similar to my FZ1 that sucked a cleaning rag I was keeping under the seat into the airbox, it would crank and almost stay running.