• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

My Battery Story

GRR125

A couple of years ago, the group I was with stopped for lunch. Anxious to strip off my gear after killing the engine, because we stopped in a 100* parking lot, I forgot to shut off the ignition switch. When we exited the restaurant about 45 mins later, the dash lights came on but it wouldn't turn over. With the help of a couple of those strong guys to push, I was able to bump-start it. If I had been alone, there was no way I could have started it.

Since then, I've carried a jump battery. Note to anyone considering something similar: the clamps are too big to reach the positive terminal without yet another smaller jumper clamp, or pulling the battery out.

Last year I replaced the aging and suspect battery with a Shorai lithium battery. I'd take the bike out every other week or so and it always fired right up.

Some issues arose this Feb which prevented my from taking my bi-weekly ride, and I wasn't able to get out until early April. Unfortunately the battery was dead. I'm pretty sure it drained due to the clock function and Kpass remaining active.

By dead, I mean the battery showed zero (0) volts. I know there is circuitry inside that may cut off continuity, but it was zero nevertheless. I put it on the trickle charger overnight, with no improvement. I put it on my big charger with no change. Still zero V.

Then I put both chargers on, using the big one briefly to energize the circuit while using the trickle charger to continue the charge. That worked, as after about 30 mins, the battery was now reading about 11 volts. Still dead, but an improvement.

After reading all I could about (Shorai) lithium battery care, I ordered the special Shorai battery charger. When I arrived a day later, I put it on the battery and left it overnight. Next morning the battery showed 13.3 volts. Hurray!

I've now been starting and riding it for about 2 weeks and all seems back to normal, so the special charger worked as advertised. I'm not sure this charger is designed for extended (storage) use outdoors, nor does the connector seem robust like the typical Battery Tender SAE connectors. The Shorai connector is closer to a small, computer hard-disk connector.
I'm glad I was able to resurrect the battery. I did try to contact Shorai Tech/Customer support via email, but am disappointed I never got a reply.

A couple of years ago, the group I was with stopped for lunch. Anxious to strip off my gear after killing the engine, because we stopped in a 100* parking lot, I forgot to shut off the ignition switch. When we exited the restaurant about 45 mins later, the dash lights came on but it wouldn't turn over. With the help of a couple of those strong guys to push, I was able to bump-start it. If I had been alone, there was no way I could have started it.

Since then, I've carried a jump battery. Note to anyone considering something similar: the clamps are too big to reach the positive terminal without yet another smaller jumper clamp, or pulling the battery out.

Last year I replaced the aging and suspect battery with a Shorai lithium battery. I'd take the bike out every other week or so and it always fired right up.

Some issues arose this Feb which prevented my from taking my bi-weekly ride, and I wasn't able to get out until early April. Unfortunately the battery was dead. I'm pretty sure it drained due to the clock function and Kpass remaining active.

By dead, I mean the battery showed zero (0) volts. I know there is circuitry inside that may cut off continuity, but it was zero nevertheless. I put it on the trickle charger overnight, with no improvement. I put it on my big charger with no change. Still zero V.

Then I put both chargers on, using the big one briefly to energize the circuit while using the trickle charger to continue the charge. That worked, as after about 30 mins, the battery was now reading about 11 volts. Still dead, but an improvement.

After reading all I could about (Shorai) lithium battery care, I ordered the special Shorai battery charger. When I arrived a day later, I put it on the battery and left it overnight. Next morning the battery showed 13.3 volts. Hurray!

I've now been starting and riding it for about 2 weeks and all seems back to normal, so the special charger worked as advertised. I'm not sure this charger is designed for extended (storage) use outdoors, nor does the connector seem robust like the typical Battery Tender SAE connectors. The Shorai connector is closer to a small, computer hard-disk connector.
I'm glad I was able to resurrect the battery. I did try to contact Shorai Tech/Customer support via email, but am disappointed I never got a reply.
Lithium batteries are a different animal. If I were to buy one, I would get a lithium battery charger. That's one of the reasons I don't buy one. Not that there aren't advantages to lithium batteries. They just don't excite me enough to lay out the money. Glad you got it figured out and didn't have to go buy another battery.đź‘Ť

The BMS in the Shorai battery sensed the low charge condition and shut off completely. Although you were reading zero, i believe it's because the BMS had shut down. The Shorai charger must have a special feature that communicates to the BMS to turn it back on and allow charging.
If a Li-Ion cell goes to 0V, and you try to charge it, you may meet some of your friendly neighborhood firemen...which is why the BMS prevents the cells from being fully discharged.
The good part is that, unlike a Lead-acid battery, the Li-Ion will still have good capacity after what happened.