• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

My review of the PR3 vs. Angel ST

Cap'n Bob

OK, now I feel that I have a pretty good amount of time on both tires to do this. I first will say that this is not intended to put down or hype either tire. Hopefully nobody will even think that in the first place, but here goes.
  The PR3 is hands down better than the PR2's that I bought and used. The PR2 wasn't very good IMO. But a lot of folks still like them. We'll if you like the PR2's. the PR3's are better in probably every respect. The PR3 does look a little strange. But the tire itself is a very good tire. Especially when new to newer. The PR3 is the best motorcycle tire that I have personally used in the rain.
  But the PR3 went off quite a bit as they wore. I removed my PR3's with a little life left in them (taking a trip soon). But I will say that the difference between new and older was very drastic. New tires always feel better to me (obviously). But this was a major difference. But on the good side of that, the PR3's slowly degraded that I pretty much didn't see a spot where I saw it drop off. It just slowly went off over time.
I was probably way easier on the PR3's than most every tire I have ever had. Not because I had to be. I was just trying to get an idea how they would wear if I wasn't running them hard most of the time. Don't get me wrong, they did get run, just not to the extent of other tires I have beat up on. The tire did wear well though. I removed them with over 7,000 miles and they still had some life left in them. I expect that I would not have gotten the same miles out of most tires.  But I do wonder how well they would have wore if I was hard on them a lot.
  All in all I found the PR3's to be a very good tire. They had decent to outstanding tire wear, while giving you good handling and confidence. Most higher milage tires do not walk the line this good. So I do recommend the PR3.
  Now we'll compare it to the Angel ST. The Angel is still my favorite tire. Although I tend to show a lot less restraint on the Angels. Thus I tend to run them pretty hard. But the Angel inspries confidence better than most tires (yes better than the PR3) Although the PR3 is very good when new. The Angels are very good in the rain as well. But the PR3 is still noticeably better in the rain. I probably never would have thought it, but it's true.
  The Angels wear decent if your not beating on them. My problem is that I find the Angels to be so good, that I have trouble showing restraint. Thus I tend to wear them out quicker than I probably should. But even with beating on them, the Angels still get good mileage on wear. But the PR3's wore better for me. I think it's a combination of tire design and the riding style on the tires. The Angels are more fun to me, but it can come at the price of longevity.
  The Angels didn't fall off anywhere near as much as the PR3's, but like all tires, degrade as they wear. All in all I still find the Angel to be my favorite tire (of the newer tires that I have tried - to be fair). The down side with the angel is replacing them more often because I had way too much fun on them.  :)
  So here's my thought on the two tires. I highly recommend both tires. But like most things, they both are a little better and worse than the other at certain things. So I guess it depends on what is more important to you.
  If you ride a lot in the rain. Both tires are good, but I would take the PR3's because they are (IMO), a little  better in the rain.  But if your main purpose is sporting, go with the Angels. That are flat out just fun to ride on. If mileage is your prime concern, again I would probably say the PR3's. But if you prefer the best confidence inspiring, great handling, that tends degrade a little better, but may not wear quite as good. Then it's the Angel.
  I guess you have to weigh out whats more important to you. Both tires are excellent tires. You probably won't go wrong with either. Although you need to use some restaint with them. Otherwise you can burn them right up.  :))

Anyway, I have another set of PR3's on the bike now. And yes they really fell great. The difference between worn and the replacement PR3's is as I said, much more noticeable than the sets of Angels. But the Angels probably still would have felt better. But I kind of liked slowing down a little. There's less chances for getting tickets and I like not replacing tires so often.  :-[

Great review, I just installed a set of Angels on my 08 after having PR2's on it.  I got 7k out of them and the rear tire was wafer thin.  I tried inserting a Stop N Go plug just to see how it works and there wasn't enough tread to hold the plug.  It just popped off and rattled around on the inside of the tire.  Talk about getting your moneys' worth.

Nice write-up.  :beerchug: I may have missed it, but what kind of mileage were you getting out of the Angels?

Exiledviking said:
Nice write-up.  :beerchug: I may have missed it, but what kind of mileage were you getting out of the Angels?

:-[  I managed to forget that part. I ran a few sets of Angels and also the former Diablo Strada's. They were pretty similar. although the Angels are better is all respects. I got anywhere from 4,000 to over 6,000, depending how bad I ran them. (4,000 was running them fairly hard) With the restraint I used on the PR3's,  I figure over 6,000 on the Angels. But I do not think on equal riding conditions, the Angels will get the milage of the PR3's.

I had both on the 14 as well and would say Bob's review is spot on.

I am not an aggressive rider by any stretch of the imagination, but the Angels did inspire a bit more confidence in me...However the PR3 is my choice due to the weather handling...

The Pr2 was a different story,  I loved it on my FJR,  HATED it on the connie....