• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

My Sad news about the National

SilverConnieRider

As much as I have been looking forward to attending the National Rally in GA I will not be able to this year.

On Friday is was riding my Gold Wing and hit some gravel - went down and broke my left leg in 2 places.
I'm laying in a hospital bed with plates and rods on the outside of my leg waiting for the swelling to go down before they can remove that heavy hardware and then put screws in the broken bones.
Dr. said 8-12 weeks with no pressure on the leg.

In 30+ years of riding it's the first major accident on that bike.  I haven't seen the bike yet.  Only had PL/PD on it as it was 32 years old and parts are not available many times. At least I have 2 other bikes.

I have been enjoying the Concours more and more the more farkles I add. So maybe even though I still liked and rode the GW this is the time to move on and embrace the newer technology that the Connie has.

I was SO wanting to meet new people and see more cool farkles (and show some of mine too) oh well maybe next year if it's not on the other side of the country  ;D

Funny thing is I really felt the GW with the low center of gravity was a safe bike as I have never seen a GW droppers section on a GW forum.  That is probably the one big concern with the Connie.  But I can't remember anyone breaking their leg just dropping it.  Oh well - pros and cons to most things - right?

Be safe out there as I never thought this would happen to me.

Oh dude!  That really stinks. I'm glad the damage isn't worse, but I know how it feels to be laid up with metal in your leg (foot in my case) while everyone else gets to go meet and mingle.  BTDT, but it sure ain't no fun.  Heal up and maybe you could drive down (be driven down) from wherever it is that's home.  Heal up quickly, but I know it'll never be quick enough.  Sorry bout yer Wang too.  Just bad business all around.  :(

Ooch...  I cringed just reading about the 'hardware'.

Sorry to hear about this untimely incident.  I hope your recovery goes well, and quicker than estimated.

Take care of yourself!!  I'll be sure to split your share of the drinkin' evenly at the Rally!!    ;D  (IF I get to go  :-[)

I know you probably won't agree, but the Wang ain't important. We're just glad you are ok. Do all you can to heal up so you can get back out there soon and we will see you when we can.

I may have to cover for both of you.  ~sigh~  The sacrifices one makes for one's friends.  ;)

I realize Karl you may be busy with surgeries or probably would have just finished them all and not feel much like riding in a vehicle for 700+ miles to get there.  But if you were up to it, I'm sure you'd have some drinking companions.  Many of us ARE very dedicated.  :beerchug:  You know... To our friends, I mean.

All joking aside, would still love to meet you.

Rev Ryder said:
I may have to cover for both of you.  ~sigh~  The sacrifices one makes for one's friends.  ;)

I realize Karl you may be busy with surgeries or probably would have just finished them all and not feel much like riding in a vehicle for 700+ miles to get there.  But if you were up to it, I'm sure you'd have some drinking companions.  Many of us ARE very dedicated.  :beerchug:  You know... To our friends, I mean.

All joking aside, would still love to meet you.

^^^^ that sounds exactly right. Get well quickly and keep us posted.

:beerchug:

You've got to be poopin me! Dang it I was really looking forward to meeting you. Glad your OK and Hope that Concourier get's to you for some readin. Drive down Brother and come hang if ya can.

Old Man on a Connie said:
You've got to be poopin me! Dang it I was really looking forward to meeting you. Glad your OK and Hope that Concourier get's to you for some readin. Drive down Brother and come hang if ya can.

No pooping you.  Still in the hospital.  I took pictures with the iPad I'm using but it take big pictures and I normally work on a pc - otherwise I could prove it to you all.  When I get home I'll see if I can prove it.
I would never post a thread like this if it wasn't true  -  God knows I wish it wasn't - but it is  :mad:

Thanks for everyone's well wishes. 

Don't know how long I'll be in the hospital or when I'll get to read the magazine you sent me. Bummer.

I'm so sorry about your crash, Karl. I've BTDT, too. I'm sorry about your Wing, too. I'll be praying for your healing.

Get better SilverConnieRider.
                                  I was looking forward to meeting you this year but there is always next.

I feel for you, take your time and heal up right.  Steve

SilverConnieRider  is still cool  :great:  :great:  :great:

Sure am sorry to hear you went down.

I hope things go well and you heal up in a hurry.

Gravel and loose crap sucks. I think about that every time I ride.

Two friends of mine that I ride with a lot went to Arkansas last month. Wanted me to go, but I couldn't cut loose from work.

Towards the end of their first day riding twisties, a large truck pulling a long trailer pulled out in front of them. They tried to slow down, and the county had recently done some road repairs in that spot.
They left behind a bunch of deisel oil at the very spot he applied the brakes...and down he went.
He high sided over the bike, it spun around and hit my other buddies' front wheel of his FJR, and down he went too.

Both bikes were totaled and had to be towed. Fortunately, they only had scraped knees and a few bruises.
They spent the remainder of the weekend at their motel, since they had prepaid for it.

Now that peak riding season's here, we all need to be on the lookout for stuff like this while we're having fun. Sand on curves, especially!

Hang in there, SilverConnieRider. I'll put you in my prayers for a speedy recovery.
Bob

Thoughts and Prayers!!!!!

If you feel up to caging it to the Nationals, please do! We'd love to see/meet you and your better half.

Karl! Wow - what a scaffold they have set up around your leg. Really man - eat your wheaties and get your rest so you can come to Helen.

Geez - now you see why I don't ride a Wing!

Just kidding / I don't ride a Wing because I still like motorcycles  :))

Okay okay - hopefully my humor works with the pills you're taking  ;D

Get well soon - keep us posted - stay positive  :great:

:beerchug:

Wow!  Sorry to hear Karl.  :eek:

sounds like you'll be healed up for Run With The Wolf in September though, so there'a light at the end of the tunnel!  :great:

Very sorry to hear of your accident / injury.  Also sorry I won't be meeting you in Helen.

Often, when I have a trip coming up, I get super paranoid when I ride.  Knowing that any stupid move (on my part or on others') could ruin the whole thing for me.  There's been times that I've not even ridden the bike the week before a big trip.  Weird - but that's me.

Here's to you healing fast and well - and back on the Connie before you know it!

Hey Karl, sorry to hear about the accident! I'm laid up too, but it's not as bad as what you apparently did :mad:  Let me know if you don't see the Concourier Mark sent to you, cause if that one is a no show we need to verify your address, and that your mailman does not ride a Concours ;)  Hang in there :great:

Thanks everyone for the kind wishes.
No one is more bummed out then me.  I have been planning this trip since the first of the year.

Tomorrow I go to surgery again for screws and plates if everything goes as planned.

I was on my way to return some parts and pick up a few others as I was working on my trailer.

This happened on Friday and I may get to go home on Thursday.

My brother picked up the GW today and via phone he thinks it's totaled. - but I haven't seen it yet.
Only had PL/PD so if totaled it a goner.
Since I didn't hit another vehicle it might cost me money to get rid of it. - time will tell.

I'll post again if anything changes or new info comes up.

Thanks again for the kind words but I assume that the only way to heal somewhat faster is to do the
Required PT, eat clean and not be a baby about the pain the has to come if healing is to happen, right?

Old Man on a Connie said:

Thanks I received the Concourier yesterday.
I'm waiting to go to surgery so may have a few minutes to turn some pages.

It's too early to tell if there is any possibility that I could show up in Helen. I did cancel my campground site reservation so as not to be charged if I can't show up.

iF I don't make it to Helen  -  can my fee for this years National be applied to next years National?

But if I can't Show up I hope many of you have cameras and will take lots of pictures so I can some what experience the 2016 National though images.

Again I had my heart set on attending and meeting many new people and putting faces to usernames.
(I also canceled two other motorcycle meets that were scheduled before the National  :mad:)

My riding days are not over and as soon as I can get back on the horse I will.

I'll try to update this when I get home.

Take care everyone and enjoy the summer riding season.

Hello Karl.  Just came across this post.
Really sorry to hear about the accident... What a bummer!!

Hope the surgery went well.
Hope it only hurts when you laugh.  (don't laugh!)
Hope you can find a way to drive in?

hmmmm  I got me,, an ideer!! >:D

If it helps; I'll be trailering in.
              I "could" strap ya on the trailer, between the bikes?? 

I hope that "humor" caused a little bit of a smile. {but, not a laugh}.
  ;)

Get well Buddy!

Ride safe, Ted

I have a few Connies,but I know that the parts for your Goldwing can be located once you know what you'll need.I WILL LOOK FAR AND WIDE,I will I really will.Get better!!!  The Wizard

You are right about embracing new technology. Looks like you can still plant the foot, just need a DCT to shift the machine.

No really sorry to hear about your crash. Hope your recovery is swift and complete!

Just arrived home yesterday evening.
Using a walker to keep weight off broken leg with 8 screws I think - haven't looked a x-rays yet.
Need to keep foot elevated so swelling can/may go down - so not much to do but rest which is boring. :mad: 

Hang in there.  This too shall pass........ slowly, but it will.  How's your pain?  Do you still have the external fixture?  If so, for how long?

Rev Ryder said:
Hang in there.  This too shall pass........ slowly, but it will.  How's your pain?  Do you still have the external fixture?  If so, for how long?

No external fixture - thank goodness as I couldn't bend my leg at all with that on.

If I don't move around pain is at 2-3 - I haven't taken any pain meds today as am constipated and pain meds will prolong that even
taking stool softeners.

Using a walker to get around is new to me.
Slow and can't carry much.

Thanks for all the kind words.

I HATE HATE HATE that I will have to miss the National which I was so looking forward to.

SilverConnieRider said:
Rev Ryder said:

No external fixture - thank goodness as I couldn't bend my leg at all with that on.

If I don't move around pain is at 2-3 - I haven't taken any pain meds today as am constipated and pain meds will prolong that even
taking stool softeners.

Using a walker to get around is new to me.
Slow and can't carry much.

Thanks for all the kind words.

I HATE HATE HATE that I will have to miss the National which I was so looking forward to.

just keep your eye on September!  :great:

I'll bring the Not Your Father's Rootbeer!  :beerchug:

Get better soon.  Glad that you walked away from it.  Well, kind of.  :rotflmao:  Couldn't resist.

But serious.  Glad you are ok.  Sucks you will miss the event.  Hopefully you will get out riding soon. 

SCR , glad your not in to much pain, I did my first PT today and it wasn't bad, the worse part for me is being bored out of my head and can't ride for a long time.

SCR stop feeling left out and send out the word to see if somebody needs a cage navigator,passenger seats adjust.Then you could go,and you could pass out lala pills (joking).            The Wizard

Take it slow and do what the doc says, the PT too if you hafta  :truce:  Just got over shoulder surgery last Thanksgiving. It does pass and get better....

x-ray.

I would never kid or lie about an accident I have Had so just in case some of you wonder
why I won't be making it to the National - I hope this will prove that I'm a man of my word.
So hopefully this shows up.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 122
SilverConnieRider said:
x-ray.

I would never kid or lie about an accident I have Had so just in case some of you wonder
why I won't be making it to the National - I hope this will prove that I'm a man of my word.
So hopefully this shows up.

I'm sure nobody questions that it's real.  The pic just shows us how nasty the break had to be (and satisfies our creepy curiosity).  Endure the boredom and heal quickly!  Prayers are with you.  :great:

Wow, I counted 13 screws and two plates. That's a very nasty break. It looks like it will be a while before you'll be able to put weight on it. I hope you heal well, Karl.

:-\  WOW!!  That's quite an erector set they put in there!  Take good care of yourself,
and heal well and quickly!!  On a positive note, the healing has already begun!

Thanks guys - I was just trying to cover the bases as there are people that would assume only a little break shouldn't slow me down
or keep me from riding.  Dr. said it will be a long haul.  Level 1 injury I believe.

The view I posted doesn't show the L-plate that holds a few more screws.

My goal is to eat protein and calcium to help keep my muscles from getting too week and help to cement the screws in place etc.

Volcantour said:
Take it slow and do what the doc says, the PT too if you hafta  :truce:  Just got over shoulder surgery last Thanksgiving. It does pass and get better....
I don't mean to hijack thead, but, curious what your rehab time was post surgery? I am doing prehab for my upcoming surgery.

Passive rehab machine began immediately to get flexion. Active rehab started January and ended in March. :great:

Hi SCR, so sorry to hear about your mishap.  Sounds like a pretty bad break.  Sorry you're gonna miss the National!  Get well soon!

Um ... ouch!!!  :-\    Sorry to hear about your accident Karl !!    Heal up quick buddy!  Hope they gave you some good meds for the pain!

Thanks for all the kind comments.
I just switched to Tylenol (Dr. said OK) so maybe my intestines will get back on track as that has
been one of the worst issues.

As far as healing up quickly I think most people heal at a certain rate.
Only by clean eating and plenty of good vitamins do I think the healing process might go a touch faster.
That and of course trying to be active (even if a little painful) vs. just sitting around hoping that it will heal quickly all by it's self.

Surgery was just one week ago today.  8 mores days and the stitches should come out.
Then I assume some PT will be ordered - as none was included or mentioned in the discharge instructions.

When I can get a full night's sleep that may also help the healing process as I believe that 7-8 hours of sleep
is one of man's best friends to help rebuild a body.

Thanks again everyone  - and remember to take lots of pictures at the National.........   

Tough break literally, and we will sure will miss you. Heal fast and check in from the forum during the week. Will do on the photos.

4Bikes said:
Tough break literally, and we will sure will miss you. Heal fast and check in from the forum during the week. Will do on the photos.

I feel the same way.  Was looking forward to meeting a lot of you guys and gals on here.

4Bikes WE have the same bike (I also have 4 bikes - maybe down to 3 if I can't repair the accident bike).

I thought it was going to be really cool to see how many 2011 Silver bikes showed up and I probably would have
photo'd everyone to see how everyone farkled theirs compared to mine - hoping to pick up a few new ideas.  :great:

Yes I would have photo'd other years and colors for sure too.

Some of you may have seen the article I did in the Concourier adding a backrest for the rider.
That works great (IMO) but it seems the handlebars could use about one more inch or so and it would make it better.
I'm not sure if up, or back or a combination would be best (I already have 1.625 risers and wedges)
So if I could get away with just little more and Not HAVE to change to SS lines (or extensions) I assumed I would find that answer at the Rally.
I also put the 09 storage box on mine so I can't be sure the AST pullback riser (in 1"?) will/could work with what I have now or not.

Also a couple of guys said they might try making a setup like mine so it would have been neat to see if that happened.

NO ONE is hating the fact that they won't be there more then me.  That's why I asked for lots of pictures to be taken so
at least I can partly see what I missed.  :banghead:

Maybe next year I could return the favor to or for someone (God forbid it's the same reason I can't make it this year) that
just can't make it but needs/wants info on a certain aspect of a bike or some farkle etc.

I snapped a couple of images while I had my leg unwrapped to clean it up a little and air it out.
Have an appointment on Wednesday to get the stitches out.
Then I assume I will learn the next step in the process to recovery.

The images are one from each side of the leg and don't show all the stitches in the leg.

I found it strange that in my discharge papers, nowhere did I see mention to put Ice on the wounds
to help bring down the swelling.
But I didn't see anywhere it said Not to use Ice so I use an ice bag a couple times a day.
I'm hoping after the stitches come out the swelling will go down a little faster then it has so far.

Trying to put no weight on that leg is the hardest part (almost impossible) as sometimes I need it for
a touch of balance etc.

Believe me I Hate the fact I will miss the National.
I keep my leg elevated most of the day unless I have to move around etc.

I'm down to using Tylenol Extra Strength which isn't as strong as the Narco they gave me but much less side effects.  ;D

Well at least no can say this thread is worthless without pictures.  :nananana:
Hope I didn't gross anyone out.  Just want to show that there is a reason I will miss the National and can't ride for awhile.

Yikes, been there but not even 1/2 as bad considering it's both sides. All I can say is  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\. You were explaining it well, but now it hits home.  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Hope the last month has been a productive healing period for you SCR. Now need pics of the bike you are dreaming of......

Diz said:
Hope the last month has been a productive healing period for you SCR. Now need pics of the bike you are dreaming of......

The swelling has gone down much slower then I expected it to.  The knee area is the area that is still much bigger then any other
part of the leg.  Very little pain if any - which is good.  I still ice my leg once or twice a day even 6 weeks after surgery.
About 1 week ago I was able to put a shoe on the foot of the broken leg for the first time. So some progress is being made.  :great:

I'm not dreaming of any other bike.  I have the Connie and a Busa that are in very good condition.
The Connie had some farkles installed before my accident and I never got the chance to try them out.  So when I can ride
it again, it might feel like a new bike with the farkles installed.  Tires are sitting next to the bike and they are the next things to go on before I ride again.
Batteries for the TPS are also here waiting to be changed out.

I feel like I have been doing almost everything I can to help this heal as fast as possible.  Extra Vitamins etc and protein with mostly clean eating etc.
Staying off the leg as much as possible too.  Next week I have an appointment - I assume they will x-ray again and are looking for bone growth or calcium
buildup.  Hopefully they can see that and I will be allowed to put weight on that leg again.  I don't know what else I can do. 

As normal Summer is going to fast.  :mad:

That much damage takes a long time to heal... especially as we get older.  Be patient and keep doing what you're doing.  Do your therapy and the time will pass.  :great:

Hang in there!

I still have the scar where the VA did my total knee replacement. Like you, I was completely helpless for a while, though could walk with a walker from the time they moved from post-op to my room. They made me walk.

Your sutures look clean and good, so it will be a straight scar, good deal!

Another couple months and you'll be up an about. Lets see you at some events!

Thanks for the update and I will echo everyone else- keep doing what you need to heal and hopefully that time will be short

Update on my condition.

Today I held up my Busa for 5 minutes with my broken leg (which is healing) so sometime this week I may ride it for the first time since my accident.  :great:
I'm so glad my surgeon didn't/doesn't know much about motorcycling as I couldn't imagine waiting 8 months to ride again like he thought I should.  :nananana:

My Connie is in a chock in my trailer and I'm not sure if I'm ready or able to remove it from the chock and it being more top heavy than my Busa I'm thinking that will
be a little farther down the road before I can ride that one again.  That's one good reason to have more than one bike.
I also have to (IMO) change the tires on the Connie before I ride it and an oil/filter change is planned before riding it too.

I feel I'm about 75-80% of the way back to normal leg strength/operation.  I can walk fairly well with a walker or cane and can take some steps
without support but I'm not ready to walk around without any support for any normal distance like before my accident.

Tomorrow will be 11 weeks since the last surgery. 

Making progress! It keeps getting better.

If you still need a walker it's not time to ride just yet. But you'll get there.

I agree, don't try to ride too soon.
Leg is still weak and could be bad if the load shifted so that your repaired leg had to support the full load.

I had a knee replaced and had to wait to ride a brand New bike that was in my garage.
  So, I do understand the pain of waiting....

Ride safe, Ted

Gypsy JR said:
Making progress! It keeps getting better.

If you still need a walker it's not time to ride just yet. But you'll get there.

I don't really NEED a walker.
A cane is all I need and then not all the time.

A short ride is all I have planned to start - then a little longer with each ride.
The Busa is lighter then the Connie and I can flat foot it with no problem.

The last thing I want to do is hurt my leg and therefore take even longer to ride again.
Shifting will build muscle and strengthen my leg - right?  :great: ;D 

Stay away from sand, pebbles or anything on asphalt that can make it feel as if marbles are underfoot. You don't want any slipping or sliding when that foot goes down to balance. Wind in the face can help with healing........

WOW, Carl, so sorry to hear, i missed this thread. Thats sucks you missed the National, and the summer of riding, take your time to back on it. I still have problems from my April mishap, and i was lucky,, or not only to have pulled muscles,,
I have just really started riding this year.
Get well soon, and take it one day at a time.

Well I did a ride - Boy did that feel good.  :1rij:

Did about 33 miles. 

I feel I'm about a month away from free walking any distance.
Getting a little stronger little by little.

Next week I hope to get another ride or 2 in.  It's still summertime, right?  :great:

With any luck I might even get to ride my Connie this year.  Time will tell.

SilverConnieRider said:

Did about 33 miles. 

Next week I hope to get another ride or 2 in.  It's still summertime, right?  :great:

Glad you got to feel some wind, but don't rush it.  healing is job 1!

Good luck for your coming rides - i will do my first ride since my healthness seizure, in September, when the ban will be lifted...

SilverConnieRider said:

Did about 33 miles. 

Good to see you are back in the saddle, man I sure miss riding,going to my first post op physical therepy today,not looking forward to the pain but glad to work on getting my range of motion back to normal sometime soon .

FTB530 said:
SilverConnieRider said:

Did about 33 miles. 

Good to see you are back in the saddle, man I sure miss riding,going to my first post op physical therepy today,not looking forward to the pain but glad to work on getting my range of motion back to normal sometime soon .

When I went to my first PT session I had pain medicine onboard because I wasn't sure what was going to happen.
Didn't really do much at the first session - measured range of motion etc, and talked about what my goals were.
Next session was some light exercises and a few tips on what to do at home etc.

Yesterday I did some unassisted walking.  After the first step, I stand up straighter and then can walk almost normal.
Not as fast as normal or as fast as with a cane - but I'm getting there and my speed should increase little by little.

SilverConnieRider said:
I snapped a couple of images while I had my leg unwrapped to clean it up a little and air it out.
Have an appointment on Wednesday to get the stitches out.
Then I assume I will learn the next step in the process to recovery.

The images are one from each side of the leg and don't show all the stitches in the leg.

I found it strange that in my discharge papers, nowhere did I see mention to put Ice on the wounds
to help bring down the swelling.
But I didn't see anywhere it said Not to use Ice so I use an ice bag a couple times a day.
I'm hoping after the stitches come out the swelling will go down a little faster then it has so far.

Trying to put no weight on that leg is the hardest part (almost impossible) as sometimes I need it for
a touch of balance etc.

Believe me I Hate the fact I will miss the National.
I keep my leg elevated most of the day unless I have to move around etc.

I'm down to using Tylenol Extra Strength which isn't as strong as the Narco they gave me but much less side effects.  ;D

Well at least no can say this thread is worthless without pictures.  :nananana:
Hope I didn't gross anyone out.  Just want to show that there is a reason I will miss the National and can't ride for awhile.

just remember....chicks dig scars!  :nananana:

Don't tell him that!
  He'll be walking around in shorty pants..  :rotflmao:
      (Ohhhh, my eyes!!)

SilverConnieRider; Congrats Buddy!

Ride safe, Ted

I rode my Busa again yesterday about 75 miles.
Then came home and walked about 4.5 miles while mowing my yard.

I had to use some ice when I got done  :-[  So I probably did more then I should have.

But I feel if I don't use it, it will take even longer to return to normal.
Normal being as strong as the other leg.  I feel I'm about 80-85% of what I was.
However I'm not ready to do any running yet and think that will be a few months away before I even try.

I see the Dr. on Tuesday so I'll see if I'm in trouble or not. :truce: