• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Mystery Bolt

tdubsC14

Big Wheel
Greetings all. Thanks for the great website.  :) My first posting...just bought a 2011 and am loving it. Been riding cruiser for 11 years and wanted to change things up a bit.  First thing I did was modify the handlebars, installed risers and Murph's wedges. Only snafu so far...dropped one of the small washers while installing wedges and it fell down in the body panel. Had to take entire side off to find it. Once we got everything back together we ended up with an extra bolt. This one has a small shoulder and appears to be a finish body bolt but there are none missing. Even took it to the dealer and had them come out and look it over, they couldn't find where it goes either. I've searched the internet, parts diagrams, etc but have come up empty. Anyone got a thought on this?

Attachments

• IMG_20110817_212345.jpg
    IMG_20110817_212345.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20110817_212350.jpg
    IMG_20110817_212350.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20110817_212437.jpg
    IMG_20110817_212437.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 70
my 2c , Remove again all the things you removed before and put them back on. every time, before you put back  a part , look at the fische and count the bolts.

That looks like the bolt that went on the rear of the fairing near the bottom of the fuel tank on my 08. It had the shoulder like that.

That looks like the bolt in the upper right side of this photo. It is hidden underneath the middle fairing panel, so you can only see it when you have that panel removed.

83232621.large.jpg

Don't Murph's risers have 2 bolts in them (for mounting RAM hardware?)  Could those be one of those that fell out?

Mad River Marc said:
Don't Murph's risers have 2 bolts in them (for mounting RAM hardware?)  Could those be one of those that fell out?

No, that's definitely one of the C14 OEM bolts. I think Fred picked it out. That bolt and the ones near the tank have that beveled lip (shoulder) like that.

There are some of those bolts under the seat too.  They are used to hold the thin plastic frame that goes around everything under there. 

I dropped one down behind the side panel and spent an hour searching for it :-[.