• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

NC/SC RTE feeler Sept.27

cbh75

Moped
Putting this out there for our Carolina's folks.
Meet at Wingbonz in Fort Mill SC, then head to Gaffney and pick up the Cherokee Foothills Scenic Byway and if anyone feels adventurous enough ride Moonshiner 28. I figure its a good Saturday ride and for those that want to we can make arrangements to camp that night and pick a route back home Sunday. :motonoises:

I meant that to read "at Rt 11".  I expect we'll be through there prior to 11 AM.  more like 10 AM maybe???  any idea what time you're gonna leave Fort Mill?

Sport Rider said:
I meant that to read "at Rt 11".  I expect we'll be through there prior to 11 AM.  more like 10 AM maybe???  any idea what time you're gonna leave Fort Mill?
May just come straight through to meet you at RT11 and find somewhere to eat in that area since there has been no more interest in meeting at Wingbonz. So far can't even get my local buddies to ride their touring Harleys (That Far!). :s_laugh:

Alright guys, here's a route I planned out on furkot. You should be able to add points of interest and add route suggestions.
  https://trips.furkot.com/board/9rlRRW

Sport Rider said:
so many roads....so little time!    :great:

Hey sportrider, you think we'd get more participation putting this on the calendar as a scouting trip?

What is the total distance you are looking at?  Seems to me to be a pretty ambitious ride unless you're going to split it into two days.  Even then, you've got some pretty challenging stuff to ride late in day (when you're at your worst).

Ranger Jim said:
What is the total distance you are looking at?  Seems to me to be a pretty ambitious ride unless you're going to split it into two days.  Even then, you've got some pretty challenging stuff to ride late in day (when you're at your worst).

Can't speak for sportrider but I'm staying at the campground Saturday night and head back out Sunday morning. The route just to get an idea of some things to check out.
Looks like the total from my house in Monroe NC is 475 round trip. :motonoises:

Jim, if you wanna go, what about meeting us in Cleveland where 11 comes into 276?  there's a sunoco station there called Echo Plaza.  We've got lots of options going over the mountains as we cruise along 11, so if we need to cut the mileage down, it's always an option.  Say about 11 AM?  :great:

Looks like a great trip. :great:  Good to see that Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground is still as serene a site as I remember from 6 or 7 years ago. Looks like a great rally site.  Do they still serve breakfasts and suppers?

Ranger Jim said:
Looks like a great trip. :great:  Good to see that Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground is still as serene a site as I remember from 6 or 7 years ago. Looks like a great rally site.  Do they still serve breakfasts and suppers?

This was my first time at the campground and my daughters first camping trip, we both enjoyed the setting. They are still serving breakfast and dinner and both were very good. Needless to say, we will be staying there again. :great:

yeah, we did close to 600 miles over the two days.  We hit all the highlights of the SC upstate and western NC.  From Gaffney, we took 11 west.  we went up 130 and then jumped over to 107 into Cashiers then 64 over to Highlands.  We stopped at Bridal Veil Falls for the photo shoot there, then on down 64 to Franklin.  We took the bottom part of 28 up to 74, then rode over to Cherokee to pick up the BRP.  Rode that up to 276 and then down to the campground for the night.

BRMC is a nice and pretty relaxing place.  they have 18 cabins as well as plenty of tent space.  There is a bathhouse and pavilion in the middle of the campground.  The restaurant there serves breakfast and dinner each day.  Menus for dinners each night were posted ahead of time.  The cabins are clean and comfortable, and the ground Chris and his daughter slept on was soft as a baby's bottom.  :))

Chris and his daughter passed out early Saturday night, but we sat up around the campfire with a few other riders.  Got to meet Phil who owns the place.  His wife runs the restaurant.  There was a pretty good size group of ST riders in the campground with a variety of ST1300s, FJRs, and BMWs.  We didn't see any other connies though.  There was also a Piaggio group staying there too.  I happened to talk to one of them (Mike) who rode his Piaggio up from Ft Lauderdale (750 miles in one day).  He was familiar with our group, the forum, and some of our Florida members.

Sunday we got a bit of a late start due to part of our group sleeping a bit late.  I won't mention any names.  ::) :-[  We grabbed some breakfast, packed, and then headed north on the parkway.  We rode up through Craggy Gardens and made our way up to Mt Mitchell.  After a few pics there, we rode on north until we got to 181 heading down to Morganton.  From there we did a few backroads and made our way back home.  Great trip!!!

Sunday we got a bit of a late start due to part of our group sleeping a bit late.  I won't mention any names.  ::) :-[  We grabbed some breakfast, packed, and then headed north on the parkway.  We rode up through Craggy Gardens and made our way up to Mt Mitchell.  After a few pics there, we rode on north until we got to 181 heading down to Morganton.  From there we did a few backroads and made our way back home.  Great trip!!!

I'm glad the unmentioned got a late start, gave us the hour we needed to cram all of our crap back on the connie! :)