• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

need a recommandation for a tire

I have PR2's on my '08 and they have been great. 11K and still going! Will need to replace pretty soon though.  :motonoises:

You guys play nice, ok? The gentlemen asked for a serious recommendation.

Personally, I'd either go with the Michelin PR3 or the Pirelli Angels. I think you'll get longer life out of the Michelins.

My Concours is a week old, but my experiences on my BMW RT probably relate.

The Michelin PR2 lasts much longer than the Metzler Z-6's ( have had several sets of these prior to trying the Michelins). They also have a more linear turn in which provided more confidence, YMMV of course. I chose the Michelin based on a tire test which Continental did and their results found the PR2 the winner.

Rusty said:
I have PR2's on my '08 and they have been great. 11K and still going! Will need to replace pretty soon though.  :motonoises:

That's WAY different from most other comments about tire longevity I've seen.  How did you manage 11k with others results in the 5k to 7k range?  Whatever you are doing, keep it up!  8)

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
You guys play nice, ok? The gentlemen asked for a serious recommendation.

Personally, I'd either go with the Michelin PR3 or the Pirelli Angels. I think you'll get longer life out of the Michelins.

+1 on all counts!

Sport Rider said:
Rusty said:

That's WAY different from most other comments about tire longevity I've seen.  How did you manage 11k with others results in the 5k to 7k range?  Whatever you are doing, keep it up!  8)

Some of us live in the mountains and some of us live in the plains.......big difference. Age also comes into play.  ;)

I was told by a gentleman this past weekend that he thought that the PR3 had more squirm. That is expected, but it has more rain sipes. Tires are a compromise and we all tend to ride in different environments and in different styles. I hope this helps because I know tires can cause a lot of questions to be asked.

I'm on my third tire on my 08. My first was battleax016 . I think it 16. It was good but I just got 4k out of it.
Then next pilot road 2. I was getting faster had about 36 psi. It started getting a little flat in the center so I took it off. Probly 4K
I'm getting alittle better. Yesterday I put on the road 3. 40 psi ... I went riding with friends ... I had to leave at 6:30 this morning and I got home at about 7:30. The tire felt good all day and from what I saw the center looked pretty fresh.

Keep the shiney side up

Chuck ^-^

ripper said:
I'm on my third tire on my 08. My first was battleax016 . I think it 16. It was good but I just got 4k out of it.
Then next pilot road 2. I was getting faster had about 36 psi. It started getting a little flat in the center so I took it off. Probly 4K
I'm getting alittle better. Yesterday I put on the road 3. 40 psi ... I went riding with friends ... I had to leave at 6:30 this morning and I got home at about 7:30. The tire felt good all day and from what I saw the center looked pretty fresh.

Keep the shiney side up

Chuck ^-^
  seems that 38-40 psi is the sweet spot for the tires , i like 38 psi for the twisty and longer rides 40 psi , 

I have 7000 miles on PR3s mounted on my C14. 45psi front and rear. Probably get at least 10k on them before replacement. Great tire and still confident in the turns even with the mileage. 38psi in my opinion is too low for optimum performance and wear. Disclaimer: I'm in L.V. so most of my riding is straight hwy, and when traveling in the California Sierras or the Rocky Mtns at 61yrs Im not pushing it in the turns like I did 20 years ago. I have over 13K on my 2011 purchased in June so mileage is my primary concern.

elektra said:
I have 7000 miles on PR3s mounted on my C14. 45psi front and rear. Probably get at least 10k on them before replacement. Great tire and still confident in the turns even with the mileage. 38psi in my opinion is too low for optimum performance and wear. Disclaimer: I'm in L.V. so most of my riding is straight hwy, and when traveling in the California Sierras or the Rocky Mtns at 61yrs Im not pushing it in the turns like I did 20 years ago. I have over 13K on my 2011 purchased in June so mileage is my primary concern.
really think 10,000 miles out of them  :)) so tell me what kind of riding do you do ??? and 45 psi wow kinda high , tell me does it slip at all when leaned way over ?? 

There is a post I read somewhere on here with that psi recommendation for extended wear. I tried it and it obviously works well on these tires with the weight of the C14 and temps above 90º. I like the handling at 45psi (measured not dash read out) and the wear factor has shown to improve. At $400 plus for a set of new rubber, and with the mileage I put on my bike, I'm trying to squeeze as many miles out of these tires as possible. I can only say that you can try this psi and evaluate it for yourself.

He did say he rides almost all straight highway.  If you only need to lean to get into the driveway then you too can get decent treadlife.  ;D

I run tires at about 42-44 psi and have run PR2s just shy of 17,000 miles. I have also gone over 10,000 miles on the OEMs with 2 different bikes. 2008 non abs 10,300 miles and a 2010 abs 10,500 miles.

I am now on the Angel STs and although I could tell some improvement over the OEMs, today was the first time I've really had a chance to ride aggressively on them, and let me say, it is a world of difference. I am not sure how a tire can add to confidence, but on some light twisties today I was really impressed. Just leaning into a turn feels vastly better. No wiggle, wobble, or bobble 8)

New 2011 concours here with 3,100 miles on factory tires. almost at wear bars on the sides of the tire,another 400 to 500 mile ride they will be slick and need replacement with pr2, i run 41 psi front and rear,ride N.C mountains on weekends. how do i see people on here getting so much mileage out of tires??? I also have a sv650n with pr2 on it and get 6,000 miles on a set but the bike only weights 400 pounds and run 32psi front/ rear 35 what am i doing wrong!! thanks 

Rich said:
New 2011 concours here with 3,100 miles on factory tires. almost at wear bars on the sides of the tire,another 400 to 500 mile ride they will be slick and need replacement with pr2, i run 41 psi front and rear,ride N.C mountains on weekends. how do i see people on here getting so much mileage out of tires??? I also have a sv650n with pr2 on it and get 6,000 miles on a set but the bike only weights 400 pounds and run 32psi front/ rear 35 what am i doing wrong!! thanks

Well first off, 3,100 miles on the 021's is almost normal. Especially if you ride spirited. Getting 6K on a SV650, again ridden spirited, doesn't seem bad to me. Aggressive riding where you on and off the throttle more will wear tires quicker. Of course it depends how hard you are with cornering, throttle transitions, and engine braking. Also tire pressures can effect wear as well. If you want great mileage, have less fun. Ride the slab more and be easy on the throttle and brakes.  :)

well after trolling the forums on several boards, i purchased from PR3's yesterday, even went for the 55 on the rear.  The PO had installed a set of 023's on it and i put about 1500 miiles on them before the wear bars showed up on the rear.  the front is cupped a little and shutters some when braking.  I  am looking forward to see how the new shoes do..  I have an 08' that i purchased a few months ago. It currently has 50k on the clock, and still running very well.

fourtrax said:
well after trolling the forums on several boards, i purchased from PR3's yesterday, even went for the 55 on the rear.

Eric,
  You're going to love that combo.  I have a PR2 190x55 on the rear and a 120x70 PR3 on the front.  I went through the original bt021 in 3K miles, then the new sped bt021 in about 6K miles.  My first pair of PR2's in the stock sizes went 8,300 and I replace them with the current combo. 
  The 55 profile rear tire seems to do wonders for MY bike, not sure about others.  I also like the PR3 front so well that I have a spare front that just came from Bike Bandit yesterday.  I'm at least 7K away from needing new tires but Bike Bandit had a killer sale on Monday.....$96 for the front along with free tire irons and a $10 gift card.  Hard to say no.  I'll put them in trash bags as store them somewhere dark. :)