• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Need suspension help

wroman214

Bicycle
  I bought my bike late last fall a 2012 late production bike I was told.  Most of my riding has been in coll to cold temp's until this last few days. Just under 2300 miles so far.  My general feel is the front end is starting to loosen up nicely but the rear just doesn't feel right, it feels like the rear is taller than it should be.  I stock seat had to go and initially I bought a Baldwin GT saddle, Liked the saddle but still left with the feeling I was rocking forward too much on throttle transitions.  Sold the Baldwin and had Laam build me a seat, better but still not perfect.  I decided to check rear preload.  I first removed all adjustment from the rear but left the rear damping a 3/4 a turn out from full as it was. Now hear is the kicker, and I checked this a few times, my sag with my big 240 lb ass on the bike was ( 1 5/8 inch)  40mm!
    I have 14mm preload on the front fork dialed in and I need to do some checks there but I road last week with 12mm front preload and it road hard but that could have been because it was 37 degrees.

My question is could the suspension still be breaking in? I would expect more sag in the rear with ZERO preload. 

Will front preload if it is too low shift the weight to the front enough to affect the rear sag measuremnt?

I've never hears of a suspension "breaking-in".  The rear pivot points are needle bearings. 

The springs on the C14 are far too soft, on both ends.  That is more likely causing you feeling of "rocking forward too much on throttle transitions". 

40mm of sag is not too much, I'd call it about right.  Road racing bikes are setup at 25 to 35mm. 

I could never get either end under control with the stack suspension.  I took my bike to Traxxion Dynamics and had the full Monte done on it, with Penske rear shock, and have excellent ride and control.  As a minimum, I suggest changing the front springs to constant rate springs from Sonic Springs and changing the fork oil to one step thicker (10 weight?). 

Setting the rear sag to 35 to 40mm and cranking the damping adjustment to max (it's only rebound damping) MAY keep the rear from pogo-ing all over the road. 

This bike deserves a much better suspension.  It is sport bike speed capable with a scooter suspension.